is it possible to go bare bottom?

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have crush coral substrate ( sort of a gravel). I really like the look of bare bottom tanks but when I started this tank 2 years ago I did not. Is it possible to take the substrate out? I know it would have to be gradual, but has anyone done this? And if so what was the best way to do it? One scoop a day removal of the gravel?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The biggest thing to prepare for is the removal of your nitrifying bacteria and the cloudiness of the water. When you remove the sand you'll end up stirring up a bunch of junk/detritus potentially which could cause a nitrogen cycle restart while removing nitrifying bacteria. People do it successfully, just keep an eye out.

I'd say a little at a time is your best bet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I currently have crush coral substrate ( sort of a gravel). I really like the look of bare bottom tanks but when I started this tank 2 years ago I did not. Is it possible to take the substrate out? I know it would have to be gradual, but has anyone done this? And if so what was the best way to do it? One scoop a day removal of the gravel?
I run bare bottom now and bacteria not an issue as there is enough chemical and biological filtration available not to mention the benefits from live rock

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest thing to prepare for is the removal of your nitrifying bacteria and the cloudiness of the water. When you remove the sand you'll end up stirring up a bunch of junk/detritus potentially which could cause a nitrogen cycle restart while removing nitrifying bacteria. People do it successfully, just keep an eye out.

I'd say a little at a time is your best bet.
Same thing with a gravel substrate? I do not have sand. Which I know would stir up alot more.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Same thing with a gravel substrate? I do not have sand. Which I know would stir up alot more.
Gravel/crushed coral still traps detritus but it probably won't cloud the water as much.

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1668661123967.png

Main reason if I go to bare bottom, I will be able to get this under control. I've been battling this for months now. I believe its Dinoflags and my parameters all look fine. I know this stuff holds on to lack of nutrient, but I am running with a a proper nitrate level and phosphate, so it's not like it's a Zero'd out thank.

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly! Iam ready to call it quits. I've done everything I can think of. This S*&% will not go away! Please someone give me a strategy or routine to get rid of it. I'd rather have a algae problem at this point. This stuff isn't algae.

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to add to it.... None of this stuff is present in my sump, only my Display.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't help with algae control or ID. I have however removed the substrate from three tanks, 150g 180g and a 43g cube while they were up and running. Mine were course sand not crushed coral but should work the same. As long as the crushed coral is what I have seen used. It's pretty course but not as big as actual aquarium gravel
Just use a clear syphon hose and vacuum the substrate into buckets as part of your water change. It doesn't cloud the water and you can do some each day, week, what ever you choose.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I say suction bits at a time during water changes :)

I’m bare bottom almost forgot about sand

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1668661123967.png

Main reason if I go to bare bottom, I will be able to get this under control. I've been battling this for months now. I believe its Dinoflags and my parameters all look fine. I know this stuff holds on to lack of nutrient, but I am running with a a proper nitrate level and phosphate, so it's not like it's a Zero'd out thank.
I'm curious to know why you think you'll have better luck fighting the algae in a bare bottom tank?

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to know why you think you'll have better luck fighting the algae in a bare bottom tank?
Because it seems to start on the substrate must faster then moves to rocks, which starts irritating my corals.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, It's The best photo I have and can seem to get. (iPhone 11) I've taken many photos, and this is the only one that shows some amount of detail.
Well regardless, removing the sand won't remove enough nitrifying bacteria to make a difference. Now, if you have a DSB with DEnitrifying processes, you'll lose that, but not a lot of people keep sandbed over inches these days.

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well regardless, removing the sand won't remove enough nitrifying bacteria to make a difference. Now, if you have a DSB with DEnitrifying processes, you'll lose that, but not a lot of people keep sandbed over inches these days.
No, it's about a inch of substrate. The crushed coral is a bad idea to go with. Not dense enough to handle the load of the tank. Should have gone with sand, but at this point want to just to clear all of that mess.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your invasion is called chrysophytes

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

read this whole thread it’s fast

you don’t go bare bottom in sections you go all at once

it’s dangerous to go in sections

it’s safe to go all at once

do you see where we rinse the sand out there? Just remove it and don’t put it back

The thread also covers how to rasp the growths off your rocks and use peroxide afterwards on the cleaned areas, has a really good chance of working.

you need to employ a uv sterilizer after the rip clean

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back