Is my baby clown hurt on the chin or is it something else?

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i recently bought a pair of baby true perc clowns from a breeder, and there were too many to choose from. So i boight the biggest 2. I didnt notice this when i got, but after 2 days i saw one of the clown got a tiny maroonish patch right below the lips, on the chin area. But today i noticed the part is growing like a pimple (dono what other word to use) and looks maroonish/pinkish. I dont know wether its hurt or its some fungus, since its small.

I tried taking a few pics though, please zoom them and watch carefully on the chin part. Please help.

58474ca62ba9809d4a9abfa2a60f8b3c.jpg

89a7a3a0feaefbd660c3e2e25441d0eb.jpg

45d7b05cb3b8bd86cf0931e2d19123aa.jpg

f30c44eb0300c3e1662c82458c3bcb52.jpg

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh! Its gona die??? Jus read the thread
[emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22]

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nanomania Best bet is to treat with kanamycin, nitrofurazone and metronidazole. @melypr1985 has had success using that combination to treat clownfish with a similar condition at the LFS she works at.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosage? Duration?

Assuming you will be using the 100% powder.

Kanamycin Sulfate Powder: 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gallons of water. Treat every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment.

Nitrofurazone Powder: 1/4 teaspoon per 30 gallons. Treat every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment.

Metronidazole Powder: 1/4 teaspoonful per 20 gallons. Treat every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment.

Combine all three, but allow 30 mins before adding the next med. Obviously you only need to do one WC before beginning the next round after 24 hrs. Treat for at least 10 consecutive days.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! those pimples were pretty easy to get rid of with the Metro, furan 2 and Kanaplex. I can't see it very well, but what your describing sounds like it. We should name it "clownfish zits"

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you will be using the 100% powder.

Kanamycin Sulfate Powder: 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gallons of water. Treat every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment.

Nitrofurazone Powder: 1/4 teaspoon per 30 gallons. Treat every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment.

Metronidazole Powder: 1/4 teaspoonful per 20 gallons. Treat every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment.

Combine all three, but allow 30 mins before adding the next med. Obviously you only need to do one WC before beginning the next round after 24 hrs. Treat for at least 10 consecutive days.
can u tell me in mg? Coz we get tablets here, so can dose accordingly.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! those pimples were pretty easy to get rid of with the Metro, furan 2 and Kanaplex. I can't see it very well, but what your describing sounds like it. We should name it "clownfish zits"
How long would my fish survive? Coz ill have to arrange for the meds. they happen on the chin area only i guess, looking at the other photos. However its eating well. Should i treat both the fish on only the infected 1?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would my fish survive? Coz ill have to arrange for the meds. they happen on the chin area only i guess, looking at the other photos. However its eating well. Should i treat both the fish on only the infected 1?

I'm honestly not sure how long they could live with it because I always treated when I noticed it. there was one time I let it go for a week before treating, but it made me nervous so I set them up with meds at that point. You can try adding vitamins to the food until you get the meds in, to give their immune system the biggest boost possible.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm honestly not sure how long they could live with it because I always treated when I noticed it. there was one time I let it go for a week before treating, but it made me nervous so I set them up with meds at that point. You can try adding vitamins to the food until you get the meds in, to give their immune system the biggest boost possible.
I have seachem reef plus. Metro and kana might be available, but furan 2, im not being able to find. Will it infect the other fish?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can u tell me in mg? Coz we get tablets here, so can dose accordingly.

There's a lot of wiggle room when it comes to dosing antibiotics, so long as never overdose.

Kanamycin Sulfate: 500-750 mg per 20 gallons

Nitrofurazone: 250 mg per 10 gallons

Metronidazole: 250-500 mg per 20 gallons

You can dose every 24 hrs (for severe infections), or do it every 48 hrs (for moderate infections). Just make sure you do the 25% WC before each new round of treatment because I am unsure what percentage of active ingredient you are using. Over here, Furan-2, Kanaplex and Metroplex are so watered down that the WC becomes optional. :D

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of wiggle room when it comes to dosing antibiotics, so long as never overdose.

Kanamycin Sulfate: 500-750 mg per 20 gallons

Nitrofurazone: 250 mg per 10 gallons

Metronidazole: 250-500 mg per 20 gallons

You can dose every 24 hrs (for severe infections), or do it every 48 hrs (for moderate infections). Just make sure you do the 25% WC before each new round of treatment because I am unsure what percentage of active ingredient you are using. Over here, Furan-2, Kanaplex and Metroplex are so watered down that the WC becomes optional. :D
I have finally ordered furan 2, but will come on tuesday or wednesday. 500mg metro tabs are availabe here. Kanamycing left. after 25% wc, do i dose the same amt or jus 25% of the dose?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same amount, antibiotics won't remain active in water for long.
Is it contagious? Shud i treat both or jus 1? Other has no signs of it, looks healthy. However both if them eats and behaviour is healthy. Also have a ywg in the tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it contagious? Shud i treat both or jus 1? Other has no signs of it, looks healthy. However both if them eats and behaviour is healthy. Also have a ywg in the tank.

I would treat all the fish. Gram negative bacterial infections can be highly contagious.

alonso24k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That other thread was my fish :( he lived fine with that sore for about a week so like an idiot I waited thinking it was just a cut. After a week or so he went from eating perfectly fine and acting healthy, then the next day he was swimming in one spot at the bottom of the tank and didn't eat at all. Make sure you medicate immediately. Once he stopped eating and swimming in one spot he only lasted about 2 days and I found him dead

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That other thread was my fish :( he lived fine with that sore for about a week so like an idiot I waited thinking it was just a cut. After a week or so he went from eating perfectly fine and acting healthy, then the next day he was swimming in one spot at the bottom of the tank and didn't eat at all. Make sure you medicate immediately. Once he stopped eating and swimming in one spot he only lasted about 2 days and I found him dead
Ok, im jus waiting for my meds to come. I guess ill have to buy all n keep them. Have also ordered a small tank for urgent qt.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat all the fish. Gram negative bacterial infections can be highly contagious.
Oh, ok. But this wont require a fallow period right? I jus went thru a fallow period of 75days

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 49.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%

Back