Is my crab dead or molting?

Akizo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need help. This is my first hermit crab and it went into their new shell. And their big claw fell. It stopped moving but I dont see anything happening. Its been like this for 2 or 5 days but I haven't smelled anything strange from the cage. So this is what it looks like. I dont like the cage but I cant really get a new one atm. It changed from its yellow shell to the big one that you see im the photo. And yes its a land hermit crab
20210106_195104.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If the new shell has meat in it- it’s the crab and should be moving
If the shell is hollow, the crab is somewhere else in tank. Loss of claw not unusual

OP
OP
Akizo

Akizo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I would assume you are talking about a "land" hermit ? There can be many reasons the claw falls off. Molting is a common reason, however there are other reasons that could be a sign of stress. Any other hermits in the same cage?
No its one by itself. And yea a land hermit crab.

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No its one by itself. And yea a land hermit crab.

I'm not really familiar with hermits, I would definitely ensure its environment is ideal according to any qualified requirements. They can respond negatively due to stress, light, temp and other non-ideal environmental issues. If everything seems compliant, hopefully it is just molting and hiding in the shell until it fells safe again.

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is a good resource, however it had some obvious info that seemed legit:

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need help. This is my first hermit crab and it went into their new shell. And their big claw fell. It stopped moving but I dont see anything happening. Its been like this for 2 or 5 days but I haven't smelled anything strange from the cage. So this is what it looks like. I dont like the cage but I cant really get a new one atm. It changed from its yellow shell to the big one that you see im the photo. And yes its a land hermit crab
20210106_195104.jpg
I used to keep land hermits. When they molt, they bury themselves underground for like a month, where they molt their old “skin” then eat it. Once their new exoskeleton has hardened, they comes out from underground. If the crab is dead, you will be able to dump it out of the shell. It will not hold itself in. And if you touch it, it should retract and pull away to try to protect itself.

OP
OP
Akizo

Akizo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to keep land hermits. When they molt, they bury themselves underground for like a month, where they molt their old “skin” then eat it. Once their new exoskeleton has hardened, they comes out from underground. If the crab is dead, you will be able to dump it out of the shell. It will not hold itself in. And if you touch it, it should retract and pull away to try to protect itself.
Thank you for the information! But I dont have any sand in my cage- so I'm a little confused because they dig under the sand for that.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not
Thank you for the information! But I dont have any sand in my cage- so I'm a little confused because they dig under the sand for that.
I’m not sure what happens if they cannot bury themselves to molt. I kept mine in about 2 inches of peat. I had a couple that hibernated in the corner of the tank for about a month to molt. They come back very brightly colored. I believe sand can be used too, but whatever substrate you use, it should be deep enough that the crabs can fully bury themselves.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back