Is the Vertex Cerebra the future of aquarium controllers?

What next-generation controller are you planning on getting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man there is a lot of talk here. The OP isn't some patron saint of reef electronics, he is a guy offering a review and he shares his opinion. He makes some valid points, maybe there are some he doesn't make, either way, it is some good input.

Personally, I think the display on the Cerebra is silly. Any aquarium controller custom display is silly. We have phones/tablets/computers that handle the job. It may have some really cool features surrounding its android OS, that will be interesting to see develop.

Competition is good, another product on the market. Just take the OPs review as food for thought and if you disagree, move on, he didn't make you read the post... nor is he keeping you from buying a cerebra.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man there is a lot of talk here. The OP isn't some patron saint of reef electronics, he is a guy offering a review and he shares his opinion. He makes some valid points, maybe there are some he doesn't make, either way, it is some good input.

Personally, I think the display on the Cerebra is silly. Any aquarium controller custom display is silly. We have phones/tablets/computers that handle the job. It may have some really cool features surrounding its android OS, that will be interesting to see develop.

Competition is good, another product on the market. Just take the OPs review as food for thought and if you disagree, move on, he didn't make you read the post... nor is he keeping you from buying a cerebra.

IMO , I think the a controller that has a Display like the Cerebra is fantastic. For me I think that having to buy a smart phone so I can control/monitor things on my aquarium is a waste of money and financially Stupid!o_O:rolleyes: I don't want to have to buy a computer or tablet in order to use or or monitor my controller etc. Nothing is more annoying than to spend High dollars on something and the in order to control it in a custom way I now have to spend more money on a controller type device as well. Yes? My 2 cents ( Peace and happy reefing) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

fin mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eyes have just glazed over with all the back and forth. Can anyone tell me why the touch screen unit is so darn big. If it didn't look like an old CRT television, I'd like to give it a try. Where am I supposed to mount that beast?

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eyes have just glazed over with all the back and forth. Can anyone tell me why the touch screen unit is so darn big. If it didn't look like an old CRT television, I'd like to give it a try. Where am I supposed to mount that beast?

The same place you would mount an Apex Controller :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO , I think the a controller that has a Display like the Cerebra is fantastic. For me I think that having to buy a smart phone so I can control/monitor things on my aquarium is a waste of money and financially Stupid!o_O:rolleyes: I don't want to have to buy a computer or tablet in order to use or or monitor my controller etc. Nothing is more annoying than to spend High dollars on something and the in order to control it in a custom way I now have to spend more money on a controller type device as well. Yes? My 2 cents ( Peace and happy reefing) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
You gotta understand something, you get a system with display you will most likely be paying MORE than one without and you buying a cheap display yourself. You don't have to buy a smartphone, a cheap $50 tablet will do. That is the reasoning Neptune went without a display, so you can get a better one, cheaper.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though it is a mock controller, it resembles the RKE and not the Apex as JG stated.
RKE2.jpg
RKE.JPG
The mocking controller on the video has EXACTLY the same ports and placements as the new Apex. YES, that was a jab intended to Neptune

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a video posted earlier with their explanation that it hides the connections from saltwater exposure.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta understand something, you get a system with display you will most likely be paying MORE than one without and you buying a cheap display yourself. You don't have to buy a smartphone, a cheap $50 tablet will do. That is the reasoning Neptune went without a display, so you can get a better one, cheaper.

What I said was a response to this Quote by neverlosT "Personally, I think the display on the Cerebra is silly. Any aquarium controller custom display is silly. We have phones/tablets/computers that handle the job. It may have some really cool features surrounding its android OS, that will be interesting to see develop." Ok , so how much extra does one pay for the display of vextex versus the display that Apex uses. Besides with vertex I have an HD display and Apex I need to buy an addition display right of the bat if I want an HD display. :confused: IMO with Apex, you need to buy an additional Display because there's is basic looking o_Oo_O

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I said was a response to this Quote by neverlosT "Personally, I think the display on the Cerebra is silly. Any aquarium controller custom display is silly. We have phones/tablets/computers that handle the job. It may have some really cool features surrounding its android OS, that will be interesting to see develop." Ok , so how much extra does one pay for the display of vextex versus the display that Apex uses. Besides with vertex I have an HD display and Apex I need to buy an addition display right of the bat if I want an HD display. :confused: IMO with Apex, you need to buy an additional Display because there's is basic looking o_Oo_O
I understand your point. I had gotten the FIRE as a display for my new apex (no longer have it) and to be honest, the tablet as display thing gets old and annoying. I did miss the little wired display at times. I was actually planning on getting the display module soon, before deciding to get rid of the system.
These controllers are very expensive for the technology they employ IMO.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some body started a new thread for Vetex's new contoller https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vertex-cerebra-videos.257066/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vertex-cerebra-videos.257066/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vertex-cerebra-videos.257066/
@Reefcowboy we are cool. This Hobby keeps me poor and I must Agree " These controllers are very expensive for the technology they employ" I have controllers already with most of what I already have now.
P1010500.JPG

So when I do have a chuck of money it is either upgrade, replace and or add helpful equipment that has the most benefit now , that's not a controller Plus the needed bits.

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok why not wait until the product is hand and people can try it then bash it :rolleyes:

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, to be honest I started skipping over some repetitive long winded posts. Despite the overpowering negative outlook I kept a subjective state of mind would like to put my .02 on it. As for the design, I would venture a opinion that part of the display module size has to do with heat dissipation. The video linked in this thread shows the control card suspended inside the box which is a wise choice should water find its way into the head unit. As for claims of splash proofing connections I commend forward thinking here but not sure any designs currently really hit that nail on the head. In terms of OS and what Vertex has developed to adapt it to be the tool its said to be no speculation here is worth wile untill it has real world testament.

Admittedly I am a low budget reefer and struggle to justify what I do spend. The idea of a controller is very appealing as I aspire to the next level of reefing for me so a bad spend in the cost of a controller is huge. I am hopeful that this product lives up to the hype and am strongly considering the intro price as an investment. With the research ive done personally the reef keeper is out as it has far to much negative feedback despite appealing price. Apex is a strong contender based on feedback but price is stagering in my budget. So heres to hopeful innovation in this corner of our hoby making things easier for a reefer in my budget range.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You honestly think that you are paying less for the included bulky display than a cheap tablet costs? That is absurd. If that display costs you less than $50 from Vertex I will eat my shoe.

Plus, who doesn't already have a new or old smartphone or a tablet these days that they could repurpose as a display?

To be more direct, Neptune is spot on: Including a display in controllers now and in the future is of negative value to the consumer. These small aquarium companies cannot possibly create a quality display for a lower cost than a cheap tablet costs.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You honestly think that you are paying less for the included bulky display than a cheap tablet costs? That is absurd. If that display costs you less than $50 from Vertex I will eat my shoe.

You can get resistive touch screen displays the size vertex uses on digikey for less than $50, and I hardly think that's a reasonable price considering the quantities they would be ordering.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, but then add the fans, the CNC housing, the electronics driving the display, etc. you are quickly way above 50.

Im not saying the controller wont be nice, it very well may be. I am just saying that as a long time controller user, a display thrown in for a significant price is not worth it. Use your home/work computer or a phone or basically any of 1000 other devices that do the job better and for less $$.

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy you must have mad typing skills, you have put down some serious typing time. Sometimes you can't win and just let it play out. I thank you for the review, although it would not sway me not to by the Cerebra it does give me things to definitely consider. That is what I want the information and your opinion and I will do the rest.
Nitro

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Plus, who doesn't already have a new or old smartphone or a tablet these days that they could re purpose as a display?

To be more direct, Neptune is spot on: Including a display in controllers now and in the future is of negative value to the consumer. These small aquarium companies cannot possibly create a quality display for a lower cost than a cheap tablet costs.

My reasoning is the difference between each manufacturers cost of their respective displays. If you were to eat a shoe, I'll want a video of it. Please? That would be a site to see. I can't speak for others still, so I'll rephrase. For Me, I do not have or ever had a smart phone or tablet. You are Assuming that all people do have a smart phone or tablet. Sorry that is not true, as I have already stated. Just for you information I haven't bashed Neptune and as you have said " To be more direct" Neptune/Apex has a display. You are entitled to your own personal opinion: "Including a display in controllers now and in the future is of negative value to the consumer " Neptune and Vertex are 2 of many major/big Aquarium related product manufacurers and would not create a display of any kind. They will outsource a display that meets each ones needs. To each their own my fellow Hobbyist and Peace brother.:D:D:D:D:cool:

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i want a screen. I dont understand the cost argument when the vertex unit even at full cost is still competitively priced in terms of the cost of an apex presuming functionality of the two is in the ball park.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, but then add the fans, the CNC housing, the electronics driving the display, etc. you are quickly way above 50.

Im not saying the controller wont be nice, it very well may be. I am just saying that as a long time controller user, a display thrown in for a significant price is not worth it. Use your home/work computer or a phone or basically any of 1000 other devices that do the job better and for less $$.

Fans are necessarily needed, when was last time you saw an smart phone with a fan? Electronics driving the display are not going to be that expensive when you already have a computer running arduino, you have to house the computer anyways as a central hub so that's not fair to act like that's part of the screen's cost. Most of all this is a resistive touch display, meaning wet fingers are not going to make it flip out the way your kindle fire or smart phone will. You can still use your preferred device, this just comes with an always on screen that works better in a wet environment than a kindle fire would. If the cost were so signficant for the included screen I would expect the Neptune Apex to be more affordable, these controllers are priced at what the market will bear, if Apex saves $38 per controller by not including a screen I doubt they are passing that savings on to you given their current price point.

I agree that smart phone connected devices are the trend and the screen is becoming less important, but there's still demand and I feel like at their price I would expect it to be included. I don't want my ability to adjust my controller 100% dependent on my phone. If your phone's dead, you lost all control and display of your aquarium. If you're going to tell me to buy a kindle fire, I'd have preferred that to be a part of the original package or better yet a model that doesn't require work around to get full screen viewing running.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back