Is there a low water sensor?

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is there a float switch that shuts off power when the water gets too low like the various dc pump? Need one that cut off the power outlet so my pump doesnt run dry
#reefsquad

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a float switch that shuts off power when the water gets too low like the various dc pump? Need one that cut off the power outlet so my pump doesnt run dry
#reefsquad

I have an optical low + high water sensor in my sump connected to my Profilux. It's the same type of sensor. The low would let me know if the ATO or overflow has failed and sends an email. You could buy the optical sensor for the Apex and do the same thing.

OP
OP
Bacon505

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to know but im looking for something that shuts off power and not an alert.
I have a external skimmer with a feed pump. If my return pump shuts off, the drain will stop and will make my skimmer pump run dry

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know but im looking for something that shuts off power and not an alert.
I have a external skimmer with a feed pump. If my return pump shuts off, the drain will stop and will make my skimmer pump run dry

Not only will it give you an alert it will shut down the pump if you program it too. Apex, GHL and reef keeper have the ability to do this.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes....relatively easy if you have some DIY skills.

You need to use a relay that the float switch tells the relay to either turn on or turn off an outlet. With most vertical float switches, changing normally ON to normally OFF simply requires you to flip the float around. With horizontal float switches, simply mounting 180 degrees changes ON/OFF.

Now if you wish to DIY, I show how to build a relay system HERE.

For the float switch, most inexpensive float switches can not be submerged, so I'd suggest using CPVC pipe to hold the float switch and keep the back side dry. I show an example HERE.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have it shut off power. My high water sensor disables power on the ATO + Protein Skimmer (otherwise it overflows), the low water sensor disables the return. Both send alerts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use an ATO (top off) so do not experience this. A float connected to a plug in which shuts off via float would be answer but requires some skill and creativity

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an ATO (top off) so do not experience this. A float connected to a plug in which shuts off via float would be answer but requires some skill and creativity

Even with an ATO, mine tripped a few times. ATO ran dry, or an upstream clog collected too much water in a refugium.

swensos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes....relatively easy if you have some DIY skills.

You need to use a relay that the float switch tells the relay to either turn on or turn off an outlet. With most vertical float switches, changing normally ON to normally OFF simply requires you to flip the float around. With horizontal float switches, simply mounting 180 degrees changes ON/OFF.

Now if you wish to DIY, I show how to build a relay system HERE.

For the float switch, most inexpensive float switches can not be submerged, so I'd suggest using CPVC pipe to hold the float switch and keep the back side dry. I show an example HERE.
This is what I did with my varios; I flipped the float so it turns off when the return chamber gets too low. Works like a charm.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back