Is this a legit way to regenerate DI

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this video it is a bit of work but looks like I will be burning a lot of resin due to my move to a place that essentially has high CO2 from well water.

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a similar method for the old "tap water purifier" DI filters that were sold 10-20 years ago. Can't see why it wouldn't work, as long as you mix the resins. Keeping them separate isn't nearly as effective as when they are mixed.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this video
Person in the comments nailed it. "should be using sulfuric acid" it is a better choice. The chlorine in hcl brakes the cross links over time, making it so every time you regenerate it has less and less capacity to act normally. If you use sulfuric acid though in hard water with high calcium you will really foul up your resins with particulates. It actually is more cost effective to just buy it though.

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Person in the comments nailed it. "should be using sulfuric acid" it is a better choice. The chlorine in hcl brakes the cross links over time, making it so every time you regenerate it has less and less capacity to act normally. If you use sulfuric acid though in hard water with high calcium you will really foul up your resins with particulates. It actually is more cost effective to just buy it though.
Even if you rinse with clean RO before you process?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chemical reaction to foul something up is happening after you add the sulfuric acid. The other reaction limits how many times you can even do this. Also consider the time, and material it costs you to do this. Plus maybe some chemicals needed can't even be obtained in a really pure state. It really only is a cost effective option if your doing a whole lot at a time.

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chemical reaction to foul something up is happening after you add the sulfuric acid. The other reaction limits how many times you can even do this. Also consider the time, and material it costs you to do this. Plus maybe some chemicals needed can't even be obtained in a really pure state. It really only is a cost effective option if your doing a whole lot at a time.
I am fighting well water. I think I am going to go with the out gas method. Yikes what a pain.

Good news is that I will have a use for my rain water.

Thoughts on rain water through an RO/DI?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something rain water might just be as much of a pain. Not because it will use more resin, but could have bacterial contamination, or pressure issues.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you purchase separate anion and cation resins, regeneration is straightforward, although tedious and I never thought it worthwhile.

if you have a mixed bed, they cannot be recharged unless you separate all the individual resin particles.

The "problem" mentioned above with HCl relating to crosslinks is not accurate. It is a fine acid to use.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have well water, it doesn't break filters down *that* fast

Well water can have CO2, and since CO2 passes through RO membranes reasonably well, CO2 will deplete a DI depending on how much is present.

Degassing the well water is often done prior to the RO/DI.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the answer I was looking for. I saw that vid months ago and have wondered all along is it cost effective.
Now I can throw away the old media I've been collecting. I was going to give it a go once I had enough media saved up.
Lol silly rabbit!!!

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regen mine with hydrochloric. I don’t remix them, Instead I layer the resins, in about 1/2 inch layers.

Edit - at work we regen resin daily (about 50kgs of each) and it’s good for at least two years between renewing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the answer I was looking for. I saw that vid months ago and have wondered all along is it cost effective.
Now I can throw away the old media I've been collecting. I was going to give it a go once I had enough media saved up.
Lol silly rabbit!!!

lol

Don't rely on that post about HCl being a problem. It is incorrect. HCl is cheap to use, and the comments about particulates also seem misguided.

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well water can have CO2, and since CO2 passes through RO membranes reasonably well, CO2 will deplete a DI depending on how much is present.

Degassing the well water is often done prior to the RO/DI.
Yah, this is the conclusion that I am coming too. Pain in my ...

Tested the carbonate hardness on the tap it was 10dKH.

It is weird the PH was 7.4 when I tested. I am in a small municipality now and though I am on city water, I am guessing the water will act more like well.

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something rain water might just be as much of a pain. Not because it will use more resin, but could have bacterial contamination, or pressure issues.
What combination do you run?

I should have put this in the description.

1 micron input filter
5 micron carbon block chloramine monster (BRS version)
High reject RO
Straight anion cartridge color change
Mixed bed cartridge color change

The mixed bed gets burned first and fastest. I was getting about 10 fills at 65 gallons clean water at old location. Now I get 2.

To note I have changed municipal water supplies so this isn't out of the blue change. I am just trying to deal with the water at the new municipality that I am in.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

Don't rely on that post about HCl being a problem. It is incorrect. HCl is cheap to use, and the comments about particulates also seem misguided.
In regards to cation resin "A. Oxidative Attack • Resin matrix de-crosslinks / beads go soft (can turn to jelly) / resin water content will rise Æ increased swell Æ decreasing TVC / high pressure drop irreversible problem. • Options: 1. Reduce dosing levels of chlorine / chlorine dioxide etc. 2. Choose resin with higher DVB cross linking (gel= higher total capacity, or macroporous cation resin)– lasts longer."

Even though its not an oxidizing acid per se. The less % cross links are less resistant to the effects hcl has, and others. I'm trying to find what I saw so I could show you.
Same happens when using an acid to degas anion resin. How else to explain other than losing functional groups in anion resin after base treatment, or organic loading in the resins. Why the capacity goes down, and the size of bead goes down over time. Example Capacity using sulfuric acid in cation resin you get maybe 50 regenerations, but using hcl one maybe get 30 regenerations. When using hcl with anion even less regenerations. (some places recommend to use acids before base treatment) From using hcl I see a direct correlation to the amount of times it can be regenerated versus using sulfuric. For my water and resins anyway.(not city so no chlorine from treatment plants)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to cation resin "A. Oxidative Attack • Resin matrix de-crosslinks / beads go soft (can turn to jelly) / resin water content will rise Æ increased swell Æ decreasing TVC / high pressure drop irreversible problem. • Options: 1. Reduce dosing levels of chlorine / chlorine dioxide etc. 2. Choose resin with higher DVB cross linking (gel= higher total capacity, or macroporous cation resin)– lasts longer."

Even though its not an oxidizing acid per se. The less % cross links are less resistant to the effects hcl has, and others. I'm trying to find what I saw so I could show you.
Same happens when using an acid to degas anion resin. How else to explain other than losing functional groups in anion resin after base treatment, or organic loading in the resins. Why the capacity goes down, and the size of bead goes down over time. Example Capacity using sulfuric acid in cation resin you get maybe 50 regenerations, but using hcl one maybe get 30 regenerations. When using hcl with anion even less regenerations. (some places recommend to use acids before base treatment) From using hcl I see a direct correlation to the amount of times it can be regenerated versus using sulfuric. For my water and resins anyway.(not city so no chlorine from treatment plants)

HCl is not any sort of oxidizer and it is not breaking divinyl benzene crosslinks.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 106 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 33.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back