Is this a legit way to regenerate DI

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update and calculation of COST to Regenerate one Mix Bed Resin Cartridge:
Regenerating Mixed Bed Resin is fairly straight forward, It does take some time to go through the entire process, but HEY, I'm retired and have the time.
I calculated my costs as follows:

Description
Price
ML
Usage Per Cartridge
Capacity
Cost per Cartridge
LYE (drain cleaner)​
$16.00​
2.15 lb​
200ml​
*4 +/-​
$4​
Muriatic Acid 1 Gal
$12.48​
3785​
100ml​
37.85​
0.35​

Thus, it costs about $4.35 to regen one cartridge of Mixed Bed Resin. You may be able to find the LYE and acid cheaper than what I purchased. I didn't go hunting for the best deal. If a package of mixed bed resin is $15 or $16 , I find it cost effective.
I went this route mainly because my well water(CO2) was using the Resin at an alarming rate. My CO2 problem was almost entirely eliminated after I bought a second Brute trash can. I run the RO into the first Brute, I aerate with two air stones and a small submersible pump. After a day or two I then pump this water through my 2 DI resin cartridges to Brute #2 . It was an unbelievable difference in my Resin depletion.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update and calculation of COST to Regenerate one Mix Bed Resin Cartridge:
Regenerating Mixed Bed Resin is fairly straight forward, It does take some time to go through the entire process, but HEY, I'm retired and have the time.
I calculated my costs as follows:

Description
Price
ML
Usage Per Cartridge
Capacity
Cost per Cartridge
LYE (drain cleaner)​
$16.00​
2.15 lb​
200ml​
*4 +/-​
$4​
Muriatic Acid 1 Gal
$12.48​
3785​
100ml​
37.85​
0.35​

Thus, it costs about $4.35 to regen one cartridge of Mixed Bed Resin. You may be able to find the LYE and acid cheaper than what I purchased. I didn't go hunting for the best deal. If a package of mixed bed resin is $15 or $16 , I find it cost effective.
I went this route mainly because my well water(CO2) was using the Resin at an alarming rate. My CO2 problem was almost entirely eliminated after I bought a second Brute trash can. I run the RO into the first Brute, I aerate with two air stones and a small submersible pump. After a day or two I then pump this water through my 2 DI resin cartridges to Brute #2 . It was an unbelievable difference in my Resin depletion.
Ummn, I pay $5 for 1kg (2.2 lb) of mixed bed resin from a commercial filter supplier.
It's just not economic for me to regenerate it. Especially when you consider risk factors and material/equipment costs and time.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 74 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back