Is this spot in my house going to be to bright?

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

Been thinking about a tank for some time.
Eventually after a basement remodel it will probably be moved downstairs. However for the next forseeable year or two it would have to live here up against the wall. There is a good outlet there for it.
Im concerned there is two much sunlight. The sunlight comes up right behind our house. There is no house built behind us yet. sooner or later there will be and that will help but for now its super bright in the morning. It will be up against the wall. so no direct light can get to it but it is still very bright in the morning. It looks super bright looking out the door but its kinda hidden by the wall. The tank would go right in front of the wall outlet.

Is this going to kill me with algae? Is it not even worth trying?

Thanks for the thoughts

1-1.PNG

2-2.PNG

3-3.PNG

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to place my reef tanks where they get a lot of natural sunlight either direct or indirect. I'm not saying it's a huge benefit for the tank, but for me the viewer it is a huge benefit to see my reef in a different light. I have no algae issues and a very tiny cleanup crew. Of course if you are setting up a new tank you likely will have some issues but only initially but that would happen anywhere.

OP
OP
R

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to place my reef tanks where they get a lot of natural sunlight either direct or indirect. I'm not saying it's a huge benefit for the tank, but for me the viewer it is a huge benefit to see my reef in a different light. I have no algae issues and a very tiny cleanup crew. Of course if you are setting up a new tank you likely will have some issues but only initially but that would happen anywhere.

Thanks for the thoughts
My LFS had a small heart attack when i asked them the same issue and told me i would have algae bloom after algae bloom and i would be throwing the tank in the trash in 2 months

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21e59901f07cf70a47f714aab32722dc.jpg

This is the only pic I have that shows the window when I set up my tank.

My tanks have always received indirect sunlight which I enjoy.

I personally see no issue with where you will place it.

Besides, you also need nutrients to fuel algae.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank sits in my front office and get a ton of afternoon sunlight. No issues so far.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thoughts
My LFS had a small heart attack when i asked them the same issue and told me i would have algae bloom after algae bloom and i would be throwing the tank in the trash in 2 months

IMG_0496.JPG

I was trying to find a picture of sun hitting the front but I'll use this picture for now. Look at this plain kenya tree and the blastomussa being hit by the last of the evening sun. My display tank is in my dinning room and it's hit by direct sun from the right side from the patio doors. Dead on from the massive windows across from the tank, and just barely gets a bit of the sunset this time of year.

This made for a good picture, but in summer especially I love to get up early once in a while and see the polyp extension under sunlight long before my actual lights come on. I typically target feed in the morning because I go to bed before my tank and having some light certainly makes it easier then target feeding in complete darkness.

OP
OP
R

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the thoughts on this! Now the real question, what tank........ lol

I go back and forth daily between various sizes of Red sea reefers
170-250-350 etc etc...

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the thoughts on this! Now the real question, what tank........ lol

170-250-350 etc etc...

That’s an easy one to answer!

The biggest one!

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

170-250-350 etc etc...
I think you will be good at that location. I wouldn't want it setting in the sun all day but your good.

as far as your tank, I would go with the biggest you can afford and fit where you are going to put it. when it comes to saltwater tanks bigger is better and easier to deal with. it makes it easier to keep your parameters where they need to be. but do remember that they also cost more over time as well. takes more salt, more chemicals, more corals, more fish, and more food on and on. but go as big as you can. you will be happier in a long run i promise you that.

OP
OP
R

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be good at that location. I wouldn't want it setting in the sun all day but your good.

as far as your tank, I would go with the biggest you can afford and fit where you are going to put it. when it comes to saltwater tanks bigger is better and easier to deal with. it makes it easier to keep your parameters where they need to be. but do remember that they also cost more over time as well. takes more salt, more chemicals, more corals, more fish, and more food on and on. but go as big as you can. you will be happier in a long run i promise you that.
Yep..... hence why i have not been able to make a decision for 2 years lol

At one point i was gonna do a penninsula 500 but i would of had to turn it the other direction and go along the back of the couch.

I was really worried about the sun light with it not being against the wall. It would get constand direct sunlight

anyways.....

I really have a desire for mostly bubble tips and clowns.
The other fish i want require a massive tank that i will never get lol so those are really only the things on my list

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back