It was so much easier in the 90’s

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the same thing. Ran a SW tank with an under gravel filter and no protein skimmer. Ran out of money and got out of saltwater in 1991.

I jumped back in (with the internet) in 2003 (and a couple of dollars in my pocket) and everything had changed. Here are the big ones.

1. Protein skimmer
2. Light is important. LEDs are the thing now.
3. Current and flow is super important.
4. Automated control is a huge help
5. Water chemistry testing actually works and is actionable
6. Paul B is the only person still running and under gravel filter. But... I suspect they will come back in style soon.

That's it. Jump in and have fun.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more we learn the more we want to know!
20231004_142712.gif

OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the same thing. Ran a SW tank with an under gravel filter and no protein skimmer. Ran out of money and got out of saltwater in 1991.

I jumped back in (with the internet) in 2003 (and a couple of dollars in my pocket) and everything had changed. Here are the big ones.

1. Protein skimmer
2. Light is important. LEDs are the thing now.
3. Current and flow is super important.
4. Automated control is a huge help
5. Water chemistry testing actually works and is actionable
6. Paul B is the only person still running and under gravel filter. But... I suspect they will come back in style soon.

That's it. Jump in and have fun.
LOL I used an under gravel and I was fancy with an canister filter .... those were the days ..lol

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back then the access to books was all I had my Commodore 64 was no help.
LOL, it was so much easier running a tank in the 70s. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I would go down to the East River next to Manhattan and after pushing aside the oil and hot dogs, I collected water.

That tank is still running today so I think the Hot Dogs are the overlooked key. :cool:

LOL I used an under gravel and I was fancy with an canister filter .... those were the days ..lol
I still run an undergravel filter. State of the art in 1971. :anguished-face:

I also still have 2 canister filters. I grow plants in them. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Welcome to the site.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Back then the access to books was all I had my Commodore 64 was no help. Returning to the hobby I am flooded by information that although interesting is overwhelming. My successful tank back then was wiped out by a heater failur. It has taken me until now to decide to attempt another. Unfortunately for all of you I will be asking all those beginner questions as I attempt to build a coral tank
To a degree it was. We also did not have the types of fish and inverts discovered and now available. Like Paul, I too had undergravel filter with the maxi jets on each tube and an Eheim canister unit and a flourescent shop light for lights with foil lined to intensify the light. Anemones were condylactus and Haitian and A school of damsel or a volitan lion was the tank like no other.
Never had issues and the floating thermometer and clamp on heater were the necessities.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back