OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I drilled a hole through my outside concrete block wall and ran 1/4" air line tubing for fresh air to the skimmer. I am also making a diy co2 scrubber with a 64oz ketchup bottle. The tube will fit perfectly through the squirt hole in the cap. 3lbs of soda lime is coming and I will be adding about a pound of carbon in it also. This will be set up and tested on the 125g. As of now it's just the fresh air line. I ran a test today and it read 7.9 at 5pm. Higher than normal cuz the house was open for a few hours. I'll restest around 5pm tomorrow. Here are some picks of the drilled site.

uploadfromtaptalk1402797417576.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1402797433622.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1402797580193.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1402797417576.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1402797433622.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1402797580193.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing Glenn isn't home, he would die of shock. Lol, my house is a wreck! I have a sizeable kitchen and 2 diningroom that every surface is covered in stuff. Non cold groceries, tools, piping, dishes, you name it. Nope - this is not like me! So before I stress out I'm off R2R and cleaning up this mess lol. :p

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy Bat wings!!!!!! I just tested the ph and it's 8.4!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it so I did the test 3 times! My alk went up a little bit too though. It's at 9.0. I think that's because I cleaned out the kalk reactor also today and put fresh kalk in it. But still, 8.4!!!!!! I have NEVER, EVER seen 8.4!!!! The very best ever was 8.0 while my house was open :dance:The air line worked! I may not need the co2 scrubber after all. Yippie! I'm going to test it again around 4pm tomorrow (today lol). My skimmer seems to be working better too. I am a happy camper tonight! I hope my kh going from 8.4 to 9 isn't too much of a swing though. Still worried about my sps that are left and not well. Maybe the ph will help. I feel like I've won a long standing battle today :D

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used regular 1/4" air line tubing. The hole was done with a 12"x 3/8" concrete drill bit (if you have a concrete block home). I have the info just above in this thread. The tubing fit inside the air hole on my reef octopus skimmer

uploadfromtaptalk1402820541413.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1402820541413.jpg

Stemick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build and creativity!!! I have thought about doing the same with the skimmer airline to outside just worried that the line would freeze up in the winter when I would need most. I hope everything goes as you planned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build and creativity!!! I have thought about doing the same with the skimmer airline to outside just worried that the line would freeze up in the winter when I would need most. I hope everything goes as you planned.

Thank you :D I think if it's screened and covered plus not low enough to get burried in the snow it should be ok. You could put an outside wall dryer vent cover over it also.

Jackie
125g mixed reef peninsula

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph was 8.4 at 5pm :) Problem is solved! When I tested it for morning ph it was 7.8 and that's ok for overnight rather than the high for the day. But by 5 pm it was 8.4 and now I am sure this is one issue to check off my list of woes :)

Now I will finish the rock work tomorrow and mow my lawn. (it really needs it) Then tomorrow night the garage gets a cleanup and I start building the stand frame. I can't wait!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike :) It works very well! I was worried about the 20 foot distance being a problem with 1/4" tubing but it works great. It has been keeping the ph up at or above 8.0 consistently after the first night. 8.0 at night and 8.3 or 8.4 daytime :)

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I drilled a hole through my outside concrete block wall and ran 1/4" air line tubing for fresh air to the skimmer. I am also making a diy co2 scrubber with a 64oz ketchup bottle. The tube will fit perfectly through the squirt hole in the cap. 3lbs of soda lime is coming and I will be adding about a pound of carbon in it also. This will be set up and tested on the 125g. As of now it's just the fresh air line. I ran a test today and it read 7.9 at 5pm. Higher than normal cuz the house was open for a few hours. I'll restest around 5pm tomorrow. Here are some picks of the drilled site.

What does the airline tubing outdoors do for an aquarium? I've never seen that before.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever have one of those weeks where your plans get all jumbled up? Yeah that's been mine. UGH! Started cutting the stand frame and the phone rings, it's a relative needing help with something big. So that led into other things taking me away. Anyway I have several projects going on and none getting done :( Time to set priorities and do not disturb barriers up! I have a guest room bed to refinish and get out of my building way so that will be 1st. Then to rock my overflow columns and use up the rest of the rock making supplies on making more rock and get that out of my way to have a place to assemble the stand. I am also going to set up a corner 45g as a qt and holding tank to begin to break down the 125. I'm just worried about going from the LED/T5s to MH for my corals as it's the only light I have for that tank. All rock and corals will be dipped before going into the 45g due to hitch hikers that I don't want carried over into the 180.The less forgiving corals will stay in the 125 until moving day and so will the fish. Moving day is going to be a real trick! And no one has replied to my post about using Save Our Reefs Calcium carbonate live sand :( I need to order sand and was thinking of going with this sand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.9%
Back