OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess I am going to make up some 5g buckets and bayer kill asterinas today and do the reactor plumbing on this tank. Maybe I'll get brave and start on the bottom seal too, we shall see :p

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kill kill kill! Lol!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol Rev :D !

It's a very rainy day here so that is definitely the plan!

I also noticed the tank has clouded a little. Dead mj1200 on the gfo and gac reactors. Can't wait to get the 180 up and running! All the reactors will be running on 1 mag pump. So tired of maxi jets. Just more incentive to get the courage up to climb inside the 180 and reseal the bottom.

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol Rev :D !

It's a very rainy day here so that is definitely the plan!

It's been raining for weeks it seems like over here. My backyard is a swamp smh. Nice car, can't wait to see the columns. Resealing the bottom of the tank is not a bad job. You drilled holes in your tank. A little silicone can't be that bad.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just paranoid about cracking the bottom. I had an idea though. If I can get a couple of the neighborhood teens I'm going to turn it on its side. I think that way will be much easier and safer :)

I hear that, my yard is like a wet sponge and too wet to mow. I have weeds 3 feet tall!

The column overflows are an experiment that I hope will work out. I think the real trick will be in sealing them to the tank due to lack of room to work. These might need to be sealed with small sealant tubes as opposed to the big gun and tube. I taped where the sealant will be and the teeth are to keep the area clean of rock. The rocking process will be in 2 parts. The first with be cement and sand mix only to give it a base and then crushed shell, sand and cement. I'll then press 3/4" pipe on it to make the ridges.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I didn't take into account that due to the column being round I can only add the mix to it on the flat. So I'll have to do the 1st layer 1 section at a time

Goomie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good build! I'm keeping an eye on this one, good luck! can't wait to see the finalized product :)

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know what I hate? Do ya? I hate not being able to run power saws after 8PM! Cuz I have that 1 neighbor....

Going to cut some wood now.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wood is cut and ready to add to the stand. I am adding hangers to hold the reactors, a self or 2 and rods to hold the filter socks tonight. I make my own socks and hang them from the rods. By using rods I can slide the dirty one out of the way while I tie on a clean one. Pics in the morning!

Last edited:

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your coming along well.
I just saw your post about helping. If you don't get it turned over and done soon let me know. I'll come help or I can help over phone too if that helps. If you get it on its side it will be a lot easier to do for you.

When you install your towers just silicone the bottoms and then set them in place. Easier than trying. To reach into the tank. Any silicone that comes out will be covered with sand.

So was that your daughters first car? Did you tell her she has to pay speeding tickets

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your coming along well.
I just saw your post about helping. If you don't get it turned over and done soon let me know. I'll come help or I can help over phone too if that helps. If you get it on its side it will be a lot easier to do for you.

When you install your towers just silicone the bottoms and then set them in place. Easier than trying. To reach into the tank. Any silicone that comes out will be covered with sand.

So was that your daughters first car? Did you tell her she has to pay speeding tickets

Hi Joe, thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it :) But in all good conscience I couldn't ask you to drive up here. I checked Google and you live much further away than I thought you do. It's round a 3 hour drive one way. I'll find a way to round up some people to turn this tank on it's side (maybe even tonight).

That's a GREAT idea about the columns! I will do that

Haha, yeah it's her first car. My ex and I went in 50/50 on it. She actually wanted a truck but he was insistant on her having a car. So he made a deal with her. He said she could pick it out if she got a 6cyl or less car. I knew that wasn't a good plan but.... so, I would rather her pay for gas than tickets or attempt stupid things in a fast car. I just hope she keeps a level head ;)

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is how ill be hanging all the reactors.
uploadfromtaptalk1405822885941.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1405822940312.jpg

The ATO will go on the top of the upright next to them. No more mjs! These guys will be plumbed together on 1 pump.

I also came up with a better solution for the return column. I got a 3" pvc pipe and pvc toilet ring. Then I will put the 6" pipe over it, fill in between them with diy rock. take the 6" pipe off and rock (or not) the ring and silicone it in place. This way no still water will get inside by the 3/4" return pipe and no weight on it either ;)

uploadfromtaptalk1405822885941.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1405822940312.jpg

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to finish the first rock coat on the overflows and start on the new version of the return column tonight, but I decided to be nice and take my beast of a dog for a late night stroll. He smelled a deer in the area and bolted. Upon doing so he nearly ripped my left arm off (it feels like it anyway ) so now my shoulder hurts and it is difficult to maneuver. :/ I can't mix rock like this so I'm going to have to wait until the morning and give it another shot. On the bright side I have 2 more new rocks ready :) I always make another rock or 2 out of my leftover mix.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back