uploadfromtaptalk1405838883378.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1405838883378.jpg

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot wait to see this all put together, love all the DIY aspects of this build aready.

Cheers, Todd

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie I don't think I'm that far from you. It takes me two hours to get to Disney. By looking at the map it looks like the same distance. I know it's still far though. Well if you can't get any help local to you we can figure it out. I to did not realize how far you were from me.

On another not looks like everything is coming along nicely. Liking the rock work. Maybe you could start selling your rock work if all goes well with it.
I think if you could make over flow covers it would be cool.
I'll have to get your recipe for it so I can make some over flow covers for my tank.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Todd! A lot of what I've been doing is trial and error. For instance, I'm remaking the return column. After much thought on the completion of the 1st one I realized I didn't like how heavy it was. Then decided it was best to do another.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie I don't think I'm that far from you. It takes me two hours to get to Disney. By looking at the map it looks like the same distance. I know it's still far though. Well if you can't get any help local to you we can figure it out. I to did not realize how far you were from me.

On another not looks like everything is coming along nicely. Liking the rock work. Maybe you could start selling your rock work if all goes well with it.
I think if you could make over flow covers it would be cool.
I'll have to get your recipe for it so I can make some over flow covers for my tank.

Thanks Joe :D I just have to get enough people over to help turn it on its side. I might have to wait untill Glenn gets home next weekend if not. I really want to get the seal done soon. It's holding me up on other tank work.

The rock is pretty easy really. If you want to cover your overflows tape off where you don't want it then prime the box with pvc primer. I also pvc glued fabric toole on it then started rocking it the next day. Doing the overflows like mine I didn't add salt because I didn't want the pvc to show through when the salt melted out and I wanted to be sure it stayed stuck to it. But, that would've made it more porous and lighter. The return column will get salt.

I use a 5g bucket to mix rock in and ro water only with crushed shell (it's cheapest at the feed co-ops) a small amount of sand, a bag of crystal rock salt (not pellets) and white portland cement. My measuring "cup" is a great value (walmart) large sour cream container.

In the bucket add 2 crushed coral, 3/4 sand, 1 1/2 portland and mix really good add water until wet and clumpy but not to wet or too dry. If you squeeze it together it hols without falling apart or water running out it's good. For me that works out to about half of my cup. I then press it on the column a handful at a time.

If making other rocks where you want it lighter and more porous omit the sand, mix it as usual then add 1 cup salt. Stir just until mixed.

For making a rocks I have a large rectangle tote 1/2 full of play sand from Lowes. They have 2 kinds so be careful. One says on it it contains silicates, get the other one. Add ro water to the sand to make it damp only. Then punch in holes or whatever you want your rock to look like. Then I sprinkle salt around the hole. If you don't it will come out looking kind of flat on that side. Then put handfuls in, piling it. I also part way through take handfuks of sand and mound inside then cover partially. It all washes out. Let your rocks sit for 24 hours, more if large pieces. Then brush off and soake for a coupke hours in a bucket of ro. Let dry a few days (not in the sun) and add to a big can of water outside with a powerhead or filter to keep flow in the water. Empty water daily and refil. Test weekly until tge ph is 8.4 and stays there for a week. Remove rock and let dry in the shade and treat like any other dry rock to prepare for your tank.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a lot accomplished today. Did a water change, set up 45g tank for qt, made a new return column form, made some rock for it and added the last of the first layer on the overflows. Replenished the ro reservoir. Spilled about 11 oz of purple primer all over the dining room and breakfast bar and splattered it on the walls and table set- took 2 1/2 hours to clean up the mess, walked the dog 6 times, made dinner and did some garage clean up. Yeah I think I am done :)

I know it's early for me but it's been a busy day and a busy one coming up tomorrow (yuck school shopping), lawn mowing, finish the return and overflow columns. So I'm hitting the hay. :beer:

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The columns are ready to "rib" and the return is ready to add the second section. However... I'm having a tad bit of trouble getting the mold to break free. There's always something. (Sigh) So I am going to let it soak overnight for the salt to melt out and see if that will help loosen it up. I also had leftover rock mix and made a curved shelf and a rock with a big hole in it.

I had a really long day school clothes shopping with my daughter and my dad's 79th birthday. So I may just do the ribs in the morning.

Last edited:

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie do you have any concerns about the silica in the play sand having a issue with the water such as silica in the water. Wait duh I just read the post again you said no silica sand. Wow Joe! Anyways.

I was thinking of making some inserts to cover my overflows not make it on them. More so make and slide over them.

Need more pictures.

Hey you know you should do a DIY thread for your rock work. Haha.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when you ran your intake for skimmer out side how long did it take for your photo rise and did yours stay stable.

Because it wasn't up and running until evening hours it took untill the next day to rise to it's goal potential. The ONLY issue I found was if I took the skimmer offline it would drop. So, I made the DIY co2 scrubber but only use it when I take the skimmer offline. I do that with simple air pump under the stand. It pulls the air through the co2 scrubber and blows it out the outflow of tge air pump. The reason I don't use the scrubber 24/7 instead is because the media isn't cheap. So so far it stays stable as far as my testing goes. I really wish I could affor an Apex :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie do you have any concerns about the silica in the play sand having a issue with the water such as silica in the water. Wait duh I just read the post again you said no silica sand. Wow Joe! Anyways.

I was thinking of making some inserts to cover my overflows not make it on them. More so make and slide over them.

Need more pictures.

Hey you know you should do a DIY thread for your rock work. Haha.

Lol, yeah I will probably do a DIY when I get this build sorted out ;)

To make covers we would need one for a mold if they have the rounded edges otherwise a mold could be made out of cheap plastic sheets. This rock tends to be quite heavy so I am not quite sure how you would ancor it to keep it from falling unless you just had some rock piled up to it. Can you post a pic of your overfow?

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for dirty glass but I have baby snails living on that side and don't want to sweep them away.
image.jpg

This is what it looks like. Brand new. I have two of them. I don't care if the covers are square actually.
image.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.0%
Back