Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want your sump dimension plans man, simply the best organized sump ever
The sump is divided up into four sections with baffles. The drain & pre-filter (filter socks) section is also divided up to contain the drain from the tank and two 4" socks). That section is also where I dose my 2 part and top off. There is the skimmer section (which also houses the manifold pump), the return pump section and then the frag tank on the end. It probably wouldn't make any difference what my dimensions are, since it was pretty much built with the equipment I had in mind - except for the skimmer. I ended up upgrading the skimmer and then had to find one that fit the same footprint as the one I had - which was already small. Having to find a good larger skimmer with the same footprint as your smaller skimmer is not easy. :)

FFKiwi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fin, what is "Kylon Fusion"? Is that a type of marine paint? Did you spray paint plain PVC with it?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which type of container do you use for your dosing liquids?

-Manuel
They are some inexpensive dispensers that I picked up from K-Mart. They come with a spigot on the bottom (when laying length-wise). I removed the spigots and used a lab equipment stopper with two holes. One for rigid tubing and the other is a vent. They work really well and fit in a compact space in my stand. Do they have K-Marts in Germany? :)

Hey Fin, what is "Kylon Fusion"? Is that a type of marine paint? Did you spray paint plain PVC with it?
Krylon Fusion is a special paint for plastics. According to their advertising, the paint "bonds on a molecular level with plastics." I saw on other forums where people have used this paint submerged in salt water for years with no ill effects. So, I gave it a try. I did let it cure for quite some time though. Most of the piping is not submerged, but some of it is. You can get colored PVC pipe and fittings (at least with black), but I wanted to try this out. So much easier and cheaper than buying special pipe and fittings. So far. so good. BRS has pipe in a lot of different colors, but not the fittings.

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see a drawn lay out of your sump? This would be awesome to do for my 20 gallon with 10 gallon sump. :tongue:

Congratz on hitting FB BTW.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see a drawn lay out of your sump? This would be awesome to do for my 20 gallon with 10 gallon sump. :tongue:
I don't know if all that will fit in a 10 gallon. I am working on a 20gallon long sump for a nano. but not quite like the 40B. I will have to dig up some pics.

???

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is my 20 gallon long sump for a smaller tank I am setting up - in (slow) progress...

DSC02721_zps8ce4e94d.jpg

DSC02724_zpsb0bc8c11.jpg

Last edited:

caribbeanguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size are the stoppers? I have the same containers and was looking at those to replace the caps that come with the container. Thanks

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size are the stoppers? I have the same containers and was looking at those to replace the caps that come with the container. Thanks
Honestly, I don't remember. I ordered them a couple of years ago. They were so cheap, I ordered a couple of different sizes that I thought were closest to the size of the opening where the spigot was.

What kind of skimmer do you have on the 20g long?
It is an OLD Euro-Reef skimmer that I bought somewhere around 12-13 years ago. I don't throw anything away. :) It was a good skimmer back then and should serve me well once again on a small tank. Not the latest technology, but sometimes in reefing, old becomes new again, if you wait long enough. :)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I know that it looks complicated and difficult to work on, but really is the opposite. If you will notice, everything that I need to get to on a regular basis for maintenance (filter socks, skimmer cup and waste collector and both reactors) are all located at the very front of the sump. Everything there can be removed in seconds. Reactors are on quick-disconnects. Filter socks just lift out the front and the skimmer cup is super easy to access. I have had sumps where I just put stuff where I had room and as a result, things were sometimes a pain to get to. When things are difficult to access, then you tend to put off maintenance.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back