Just got my first reeftank!

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read about how invasive it can be. I bought it cheap from my LFS mostly to test my tanks ability to please one of the easiest corals you can get haha. I am eager to get an acan.
Make sure you go slow & don't buy alot of stuff at one time. There's alot of info here & people that can help. If you use the search link you can find quite abit of info.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. The 29 is a nice tank. Will echo others to keep it slow not just on fish but corals as well. Some corals can adapt and be forgiving of a new tank others won’t take swings in parameters that a newer tank and newer reefer have happen. Look forward to watching your slice of ocean grow and mature

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you go slow & don't buy alot of stuff at one time. There's alot of info here & people that can help. If you use the search link you can find quite abit of info.

It’s hard to take it slow when I know how awesome the tank could look with a ton of coral in it lol. How much is too much to add at once? I wanted to buy 4 frags from WWC for fragtober fest.

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to take it slow when I know how awesome the tank could look with a ton of coral in it lol. How much is too much to add at once? I wanted to buy 4 frags from WWC for fragtober fest.

It is very hard!!! I am in the same boat and have to control myself. Having said that, this is what I have waiting in the QT
fullsizeoutput_985.jpeg

Except for the green slimer and a monti frag behind the duncans, this is it for a while.

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very hard!!! I am in the same boat and have to control myself. Having said that, this is what I have waiting in the QT
fullsizeoutput_985.jpeg

Except for the green slimer and a monti frag behind the duncans, this is it for a while.
How do you have your QT tank set up? I have a spare 10g tank but haven’t set it up for QT yet.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's sales on the site almost every weekend & everyone that rushes to get their tank the way they want it ends up losing more then they gain, asking what happened. It's hard to go slow, we all now that.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You will learn lots here. A great aquarium! I still got a 29BC going for 5yrs. A have a great build thread on it here, be sure to check it out. It’s basically a 90 day build, because of circumstances,but like others said it’s better to take it slow with adding livestock.
27C90C40-3734-4B29-BACE-B9F1C232FD3A.jpeg

Last edited:

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed , But from what I have experienced in rushing on my first tank years back is that you lose the chance of having an awesome looking tank later than sooner by setbacks! I lost several pieces of expensive frags in my hast to have a great looking tank and fought a lot of plagues from not knowing and rushing ... Good luck and enjoy!

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You will learn lots here. A great aquarium! I still got a 29BC going for 5yrs. A have a great build thread on it here, be sure to check it out. It’s basically a 90 day build, because of circumstances,but like others said it’s better to take it slow with adding livestock.
27C90C40-3734-4B29-BACE-B9F1C232FD3A.jpeg
I’ll have to check that out! Thanks :)

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed , But from what I have experienced in rushing on my first tank years back is that you lose the chance of having an awesome looking tank later than sooner by setbacks! I lost several pieces of expensive frags in my hast to have a great looking tank and fought a lot of plagues from not knowing and rushing ... Good luck and enjoy!

Any advice on setting up a QT tank on a budget? I looked into a few videos on YouTube and I just want to make sure I’m integrating my corals slow enough considering that I just made a rookie mistake of putting that GSP in my tank without doing QT first.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Strawberry
I just got my hospitality badge yesterday and you are the first new member I've said "Welcome to Reef2Reef" to since I scored the award! Your tank is really neat and I hope you score some nice frags in Fragtober! Remember to add new stuff slowly, and dipping new corals is a good precautionary measure to prevent pest introductions.

Thank you for your mutual participation in the best reefing site in the free world. It's much better here now that you have joined us.
Kris

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Strawberry
I just got my hospitality badge yesterday and you are the first new member I've said "Welcome to Reef2Reef" to since I scored the award! Your tank is really neat and I hope you score some nice frags in Fragtober! Remember to add new stuff slowly, and dipping new corals is a good precautionary measure to prevent pest introductions.

Thank you for your mutual participation in the best reefing site in the free world. It's much better here now that you have joined us.
Kris
Thank you for the warm welcome! I’m eager to gain insight into this wacky expensive hobby lol

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on setting up a QT tank on a budget? I looked into a few videos on YouTube and I just want to make sure I’m integrating my corals slow enough considering that I just made a rookie mistake of putting that GSP in my tank without doing QT first.
Petco has $1 a gallon sale going on now so I would go get a 20 gallon long tank and buy you a small hob filter , a heater , and find some pvc fitting fish to hide.Make sure you cycle tank before putting you
put any fish in... this quarantine/hospital tank will be fish only due to fish treatments will kill coral and inverts ...
I would just buy some coral rx and just dip your corals...
Hope this helps ..

BaliWoody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the reefing hobby and already feel addicted! I bought a 29g Biocube and have almost finished cycling my liverock and bacteria. Just got a few hermit crabs and a green star polyp yesterday everything is looking good! I’m super excited for the #fragtoberfest because my tank is pretty empty, so I’m looking to grab some unique corals and start filling my tank!

C34307CD-5D33-454F-962E-12DBD0804170.jpeg
Welcome to the fold. Hope your tank gives you years of pleasure.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back