Kalkwasser, best invetion ever!!!ª

SPSkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some Mrs.Wages sitting unopened for a while now, not sure what to do with. Decided to do some research and make some kalkwasser and see how it goes. About a week into it and everything is finally starting to flourish!! I know your supposed to drip it in but I just use it as normal top off added slowly over time and so far so good. Cant believe Ive been reefing for this long and just started using it. My only complaint is not finding out the benefits sooner lol. Anyways those with SPS dominant tanks should do some research and find out if its the stuff for you!

OP
OP
SPSkeeper

SPSkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly has changed and did you do anything else besides the Kalk??

Corals are starting to build up their skeletal structure, better polyp extension than before. Didnt change anything else. Still doing 1 gallon water changes weekly. You do have to be careful not to overdose, but when added slowley over time it has already made a noticeable improvement.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, once I started topping off with Kalk my tank's growth on stony corals took off

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What ratio do you guys mix?

OP
OP
SPSkeeper

SPSkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 teaspoons per gallon of RO. Mix well and let sit overnight. There is a film on the top which I dont think hurts anything, and the stuff that settles at the bottom is no good imo. Please make sure to do your research though, and happy reefing!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently starting dosing Kalk by adding a TLF kalk stirrer inline with my topoff and I've noticed a significant improvement as well. I was dosing 2-part and Mg on my 180 with dosing pumps and it was holding Ca, Alk, and Mg steady at good levels. However, my growth over the past 3 weeks since dosing kalk is more sigificant than the past 3 months with 2-part. I'd be reluctant to change over completely to kalk from 2-part, but it's definitely a great addition!

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been on the verge of adding kalkwasser to my top off bin lately. I use 2 part, but would like something that is a bit more automated, and consistent. Not that the 2 part isn't but at this point I am manually dosing the 2 part, whereas the kalk top-off water would be delivered via a ATO.

Mr. Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's something we're missing. What's in it that's better then the two part?? I've shut down my ca reactor now for two weeks. I dosed baking soda to bring up my alk. Getting ready to setup a five gallon bucket with Kalk. Dripping seems to always need adjusting or cleaning. I was thinking of using a small(60 gph) pump to supply the drip. I think it would be more consistent.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get a kalk stirrer and you don't have to worry about ratio. When I had my DIY one up and running I just used to load the bottom up. I only dosed at night but would mix twice per day one being about an hour before dosing. I will definitely get one for the 220 going up. I sold the DIY one cause I made it too big and need something to fit under the stand. I agree with everyone else it always seemed to be like the piece of the puzzle that was missing, when I ran it my tank was perfect.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's something we're missing. What's in it that's better then the two part?? I've shut down my ca reactor now for two weeks. I dosed baking soda to bring up my alk. Getting ready to setup a five gallon bucket with Kalk. Dripping seems to always need adjusting or cleaning. I was thinking of using a small(60 gph) pump to supply the drip. I think it would be more consistent.

You know you could make a DIY stirrer with a 5 gallon bucket, small powerhead and an aqualift pump.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't a teaspoon of vinegar help dissolve the powder even further allowing the water to become more saturated? Therefor less residue at the bottom?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 62 46.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back