Kalkwasser, best invetion ever!!!ª

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I'm using the aqualifter pump through my kalkwasser reactor. Haven't had a problem with that little guy at all. Can't beat it for like 9 dollars.

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have always been afraid to use something like this because i am worried that they will just dump a load of kalk into my tank and instant crash correct? What are some of the ways you can go about keeping this from happening is their maybe a fail safe way to doing this?

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have always been afraid to use something like this because i am worried that they will just dump a load of kalk into my tank and instant crash correct? What are some of the ways you can go about keeping this from happening is their maybe a fail safe way to doing this?

by using the aqualifter pump as I have mine,it will only dose at night time when my fuge light(reverse lighting schedule) is on and by having the air valve connected to the output,it is never more than a very slow drip,this is safer than a gravity fed system like I started with,my ATO is gravity fed and I didn't want the calcium build up to hinder my float valve so I built the separate system for kalk dosing...

a dosing pump would be more precise and could be controlled to dose only when you wanted it to....but nothing is 100% fail safe,that's just something we have to do all we can to prevent and hope it doesn't happen and try to rebuild if it does....

my biggest concern was my PH going too high,but dosing at night has proved to be very helpful in keeping everything stable

spotted jawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to dose MG when Im using Kalk in my ATO?

Recently I bought a BRS to dose MG. What is the best brand? I was thinking use Brightwell Mg

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know brightwell has a kalk mix with mg in it but it's very expensive compared to the BRS kalk. I would say to just buy the brightwell Mg and dose separately. Unless, money isn't an issue then buy the Brightwell kalk. On another note, how do you text MG? I bought a red sea mg test kit and it doesn't seem very accurate.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to dose MG when Im using Kalk in my ATO?

Recently I bought a BRS to dose MG. What is the best brand? I was thinking use Brightwell Mg

The BRS Mag works perfectly. I used it to bring my Mag up to levels, and really haven't had to add since. If you are dosing Kalk, you need to follow the directions for calcium reactor/kalk. It consists of 7 1/4 cups of Magnesium chloride, and 3/4 cup of Mag sulfate. Mix this with a gallon of RO water, and you have a gallon of Magnesium for dosing. Use the BRS calculator, determine how much Mag to dose. Its best practice to dose enough to raise by no more than 100pm a day until you get to your target, probably 1400-1450.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr Farley suggests in his paper not to dose mg with kalk...

I have been reading about kalk now for about a year...various threads here and there...my interest is peaked, and then diminished by various opinions always. I think this time though, I am going to do it. Just need to save up, going to most likely buy a reactor.

That being said, I dont use RO/DI water for topoff...do I need to for the kalk? My well is very pure, and contains no copper, or any form of phosphates or nitrogenous wastes. I dont want this to be a thread jack, so if you want to complain about that, do so on my personal page please. Thanks :D

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reactors are awesome, I've run one for quite sometime and have great success with them. Do you have a controller? If you do, its a set and forget kinda deal for the most part. I set the dosing pump to replenish my evaporation, and then adjust the potency of the kalk from there. My reactor keeps my calcium at 430-450 and my pH and kH at almost perfect steady levels.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reactors are awesome, I've run one for quite sometime and have great success with them. Do you have a controller? If you do, its a set and forget kinda deal for the most part. I set the dosing pump to replenish my evaporation, and then adjust the potency of the kalk from there. My reactor keeps my calcium at 430-450 and my pH and kH at almost perfect steady levels.

This plus my large weekly or bi weekly (havent decided on a permanent schedule yet for this new tank) would mean I could probably get away with just doing this and nothing else.

Unfortunately I am slowly but surely building this tank up as it runs...I got the "setup" for free, but it was crappy...125g tank with only 2 small CPR backpacks for filtration.

I was just planning on buying a topoff unit, and trying to run it inline with that...but I can see how having a monitor would be nice to avoid crashing your tank. :)

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This plus my large weekly or bi weekly (havent decided on a permanent schedule yet for this new tank) would mean I could probably get away with just doing this and nothing else.

Unfortunately I am slowly but surely building this tank up as it runs...I got the "setup" for free, but it was crappy...125g tank with only 2 small CPR backpacks for filtration.

I was just planning on buying a topoff unit, and trying to run it inline with that...but I can see how having a monitor would be nice to avoid crashing your tank. :)

Yeah, mine runs for 20 seconds every 9 minutes. This keeps my calcium perfectly level all day :)

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back