Lets talk about live ocean rock and why why we so scared bruh?

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are all the options for live rock out there at the moment? I've bought from kpa multiple times in the past and another vendor that pulled out of the gulf once a few years back but I don't recall which company. I was way more pleased with the kpa rock than the aptasia loaded gulf rock but that could have just been my bad luck. Anyway I'm not opposed to gulf rock I just want the best biodiversity to add to my 120 when I upgrade. I have a 65 now with all dry rock which I hate and I was thinking of adding some live rock to the new system when I get it setup. So who is the #1 live rock supplier that most use?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When bobbits used to happen a bit (still less common that people make out), they were easy to deal with if the owner had the right mentality. Most wanted to catch them, but nearly all of them knew what rock that they lived it. Since this only really happened in new tanks, or young tanks, we would just take the rock out and put it in freshwater for a few hours, or just let it sit out for a day or two. Some would squirt h2o2 or seltzer water into their hole and they nearly always came bolting out. Worm always dead after that.

Kinda like heat with MH, these are easy problems to solve when people wanted to, but got used as an excuse where the hype outdid the reality. I suppose that there could be a rare case when a small one made it for a few years when the tank was so mature that taking a rock out was not easy, but these might be even more of rare cases.
I don't know if its a Bobbit or not but I plucked one just like the one in the pick this morning. That's an old pic but that one defiantly ate my red mushrooms it was on. If its not a bobbit its a fire worm.

20210418_084716 (2).jpg

Pikstik grabbers are you friend!

20211031_151518.jpg

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if its a Bobbit or not but I plucked one just like the one in the pick this morning. That's an old pic but that one defiantly ate my red mushrooms it was on. If its not a bobbit its a fire worm.

20210418_084716 (2).jpg

Pikstik grabbers are you friend!

20211031_151518.jpg
Bro what liverock did you get again?
I want all your crazy undesirable critters this is insane:)

I got nothing you speak of with my gulf live rock.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are all the options for live rock out there at the moment? I've bought from kpa multiple times in the past and another vendor that pulled out of the gulf once a few years back but I don't recall which company. I was way more pleased with the kpa rock than the aptasia loaded gulf rock but that could have just been my bad luck. Anyway I'm not opposed to gulf rock I just want the best biodiversity to add to my 120 when I upgrade. I have a 65 now with all dry rock which I hate and I was thinking of adding some live rock to the new system when I get it setup. So who is the #1 live rock supplier that most use?
Gulf live rock:)
Unless your actually after bobbit worms and mantis shrimp.
Kinda wish I went with one of the other vendors for the undesirables:)

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tampa bay saltwater

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I just got another one. He was goin to eat my snail! I think the snail was dead, because its been sitting there all day like that but still. Dry rock may be better..... :cool:

20211127_212356.jpg

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my gulf live rock from gulfliverock.com. alot of vendors sell same primo rock from gulfliverock.com:)
Thanks for the suggesting. I just looked back in my emails and this is the place I ordered from back in 2016. Ordered from Dan according to the receipt, great guy to deal with from what I remember as he called me direct and discussed exactly what kind of rock I was looking for so I definitely can't discredit his customer service. Unfortunately it was loaded with aptasia which I was pretty bummed about. Never had aptasia on kpa and I ordered from them 3 times in the past. Only thing I have to give that gulf rock is it definitely was loaded with macro. I guess back to the drawing board for now or maybe give kp aquatics another go. Anybody have any recent pictures (past 3 months) of what they received from a live rock vendor?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I just got another one. He was goin to eat my snail! I think the snail was dead, because its been sitting there all day like that but still. Dry rock may be better..... :cool:

20211127_212356.jpg
Blasphemy:D
Send me your rock lets trade some;)

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggesting. I just looked back in my emails and this is the place I ordered from back in 2016. Ordered from Dan according to the receipt, great guy to deal with from what I remember as he called me direct and discussed exactly what kind of rock I was looking for so I definitely can't discredit his customer service. Unfortunately it was loaded with aptasia which I was pretty bummed about. Never had aptasia on kpa and I ordered from them 3 times in the past. Only thing I have to give that gulf rock is it definitely was loaded with macro. I guess back to the drawing board for now or maybe give kp aquatics another go. Anybody have any recent pictures (past 3 months) of what they received from a live rock vendor?
I had a feeling you where going to find that vendor;)
I'd still take a rock full of aptasia over all the other critters posted in this thread:) Including spirorbid worms.
I can beat aptasia up without an issue but have yet to find a solution for spriorbid worms. That happened to hitchike in on vendor coral.

Can't wait till wife gets home so i can post pix of 3.5' gorgs and 8" rfa that came on my primo rock.

Manana I guess:D

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jd120988 if you want crazy bobbit worms and mantis shrimp id suggest going with reccomended option with tbs.
If you want rock full of corals and diverse life check out primo rock from gulfliverock;)
I haven’t seen any real difference between TBS and gulfliverock. (Gulf rock seemed lower quality but thats subjective) I’ve never gotten bobbits or mantis in any of the rock I’ve had from tbs.

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a feeling you where going to find that vendor;)
I'd still take a rock full of aptasia over all the other critters posted in this thread:) Including spirorbid worms.
I can beat aptasia up without an issue but have yet to find a solution for spriorbid worms. That happened to hitchike in on vendor coral.

Can't wait till wife gets home so i can post pix of 3.5' gorgs and 8" rfa that came on my primo rock.

Manana I guess:D
I'm not the most experienced on the live rock so I am open minded. I may have just got unlucky with that order so I'm not opposed to trying gulf rock again. It comes from the ocean so obviously anything is possible to hitchhike. And I can easily throw a couple berghia in to eat the aptasia myself and take care of it. I'm really interested to see actual recent pictures of rock from all these vendors to make my decision on what I want to pick up.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid GulfLiveRock.com

By far the most dense boulder like rocks I’ve ever put my hands on. I brought them out to the driveway with a large hammer and still couldn’t break them up. Talk about the worst aquascape I’ve ever had. Rock was loaded with pests.

C0B07FA9-C1A8-4A75-A923-22398607B672.jpeg
6858F74D-77D9-4773-A3AF-A1944FF90FD8.jpeg
0D009169-AD9B-4645-BFDE-EF8CB2B92B01.jpeg
60F4DD71-30E9-414A-B241-9CC68FB3044F.jpeg

KP aquatics is the best company for LR right now IMO. Maybe Tampa Bay Saltwater(TBS) if they’re really back.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBS from this week. Please note this is only the “base” rock so it’s not the premium stuff. I have the premium coming next week as part 2 of the package.
D688E1F9-79BA-4386-B92E-5D0B56C074EA.jpeg
7528DE64-7A03-4DA8-9C08-4080FD54E26E.jpeg
212D17C4-C999-4891-B924-4494F2D94344.jpeg

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen any real difference between TBS and gulfliverock. I’ve never gotten bobbits or mantis in any of the rock I’ve had from tbs.
I did get a Bobbit from kpa and aptasia from gulf live rock so both pose risks. It's from the vast ocean so it's expected. Which rock appears to have more biodiversity is what I care about.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulf live rock:)
Unless your actually after bobbit worms and mantis shrimp.
Kinda wish I went with one of the other vendors for the undesirables:)
Oh now you want a fire worm? Just don't touch one. The reason the call it a fire worm is because if you touch it your hand feels like it on FIRE!

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I read this post the more I feel you gotta be doing something wrong or coming at it sideways I guess.
The only aiptasia I got in my tank are 2 super unique aiptasia that I let live cause I liked them.
Did you not cure your gulf rock and treat it like anything else you would put in your reef that you didn't want undesirables hitchhiking in on?
This is a great puzzle now

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back