Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really puZzeld...:squigglemouth:
Maybe there is a additive I am adding to my tank to get a false zero reading everytime...I know my po4 is low from vodka dosing but it can't be zero I see little patches of algae here and there and I dose on the very low side only .2ml of vodka on a 220gal tank.... Baffled like my sump....:(

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, standards have gone out. Standards sent to ronnie, troylee, jcom, and oiseau reefer. I was only able to send about 45 mL of each standard. I realize that this isn't too much in that only 4 tests can be run, but greater volumes were going to get spendy to ship.

Hey thanks looks like Troylee's got to him still waiting for mine will this stuff break down over time and not be as accurate or does it stay constant

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it just can't read I. The slightly lower than the tenths of a ppm we'll see I got the alk meter and let's just say no dice the professor at byu aka morman dating services is testing it out!! But he says there isn't anyway he can see it working with saltwater

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see these starting to come in. The standards should be stable indefinately. The standards would represent sort of the best case scenario ... easily accessible phosphate in MilliQ water (lab grade RO/DI). I will be curious to see how well their meter to meter reproducibility is. My guess is that potential problems with these lie in the use of ascorbic acid as a reagent. If I would have been thinking correctly, I should have mailed you guys some things to spike into the standards to see if they affected the results.

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troylee - One thing that might be interesting to try: Get the 1ppm standard and do a 1:1 dilution with your tank water, i.e., 5 mL standard, 5 mL tank water. In theory, the results should come back as roughly 0.5 ppm. If they do not, then that suggests that there may be something in our tanks that interferes with the chemistry of the test.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, according to the standards that Troylee was sent, it looks like it reads approximately 10% low.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
At higher concentrations, that appears to be the case. I'm curious what a .05 or .08 standard would read as?

Could we combine the .1 and .01 at some combo to get a different reading? What would those measurements be?

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for going thru all this testing for us guys, i know life gets busy and its nice to see the results troylee got, had me wondering for a while and the 10% i can live with considering the cost of the thing :)
fixed typo :)

Last edited:

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for those interested in learning a bit about how these work ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer%E2%80%93Lambert_law
I am guessing, they (hanna) initially form an inorganic phosphoric acid (phosphate), then reduce that product with vitamin C to form the 'blue color'. Light is then passed through this and the amount of light absorbed is proportional to the concentration of phosphate. Now, the dynamic range for Beer's law is limited. My guess is that things start to fall apart a bit as you get down to the lower end of the range.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my 1.0 solution read .90... so i will take 50 percent tank water and 50 percent 1.0 solution and see if i get a .45 reading since my tank measures all zeros.... "will try when i get home from work"....

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received min as well here are the results first is the 1.0ppm .05 off

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 164

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next was the .1 it was .04 off and of course the .01 came up 00000 across the board I'd like to try is against a .05 sample to test that!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 199

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy we are getting some standards to test for p04, but I am much more interested in how accurate/inaccurate the alk checkers are.

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me read up a bit on how the alk meters work and I will see if I can do the same (make some standards) for those.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back