LFS vs liveaquaria

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for some specific fish. If you see it at live aquaria would you buy it or just wait til your lfs gets it eventually? Cheers Rich

Uwharrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the LFS if possible. You can see the actual fish in person before purchasing. Save the shipping cost and stress on the fish. I know folks who have ordered quite successfully from live aquaria so I don't think it would be the wrong way to go. I personally prefer to see the fish in person though

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to see a fish in person before buying it, rather than some stock photo. Live Aquaria's fish are just at a wholesaler, so the bad things present in an LFS's systems are present in LA's systems as well.

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for a brazlian flamefish neither has it but will settle for an african flameback which live aquaria has in stock. My LFS said he will keep an eye out but he also got me a tailspot blenny last week and when I went to pick him up at the store he was dead. I do think LFS would be less stressful but I guess I have to decide on patience vs getting fish on tuesday from LA.

Bmartinez76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends because some lfs don't have good fish. I've purchased fish that were sick and not clear until you bring it home.

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think la has the best fish online?

Bmartinez76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't ordered from there. Zoacollector, pieces of the ocean I have an they have been great. If there is a fish that you haven't had the luck
To find locally I wouldn't hesitate to order online.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends because some lfs don't have good fish. I've purchased fish that were sick and not clear until you bring it home.
This is also the case of online retailers, but you don't have the benefit of seeing the fish first.

Bmartinez76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is also the case of online retailers, but you don't have the benefit of seeing the fish first.

Agree that is why I said if there's a fish you can't find locally I wouldn't hesitate to order online. And some online companies have guarantees that go beyond live arrival.

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I will go with nyaquatics. I am in NY so they are closer. I will see if they do deliveries instead of shipping.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I want a fish that's over $500 I definitely try to go local. I have then order it and assume the risk, for which I end up paying is bit extra. For me it's worth it on those larger purchases. All that said I've never had a Diver's Den fish DOA.

fin mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a few things in mind though. The LFS is most likely not going to have any guarantee let alone a 2week guarantee. Also, LA/DD will refund your money not just give you store credit. Shipping is free if you spend over the $150 mark. DD is your best bet but I haven't seen many fireball angels for sale on DD for a while and I check every night. I have bought one from DD in the past and it was perfect.

I want to support my local guy, but he just can't compete from a terms stand point. Also, if the fish dies, LA won't give you any guff about it. They just refund your money. Furthermore, I feel bad taking a dead fish back to my LFS because he is a small guy and can be hurt, where as LA is a big Petco business and I don't feel bad at all triggering the guarantee. Most of everything I've ever bought from DD lives anyway. Orders direct from LA are about 50% mortality rate. DD is almost a sure thing. They are conditioned and have gone through a profilactic treatment process.

Buy from LA/DD with confidence. I buy from them a lot since my local guy just doesn't have any of the selection they do.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always ask your LFS if they can order the fish you want.

You are in NY you said- not sure where in NY, but if you are on Long Island, Aquarium Village in Westbury will try to order fish, they have for me and succeeded.

Bmartinez76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich if you can I believe pieces of the ocean is in Staten Island. My aquatics is further from you but maybe pay a friend to give you a ride.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back