Lighting for Nyos Opus

pjoyce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I’ll be getting an 80 gallon Nyos Opus next month. The tank dimensions are 35x22x21.

Short backstory.... the guy just bought and set everything up about 4 months ago and wants out of the hobby, so he’s selling everything. On top of the aquarium, I was able to score 2 mp10’s, a Deltec 1000i, GHL 2.1 SA and 2 Radion XR15 Gen 5 Pros with Diffusors and mounting Arms, along with some other little things, for an extra 550 bucks!!

Here are my options:
- Keep both Radions and sell the GHL 2.1
- Keep 1 Radion and the GHL 2.1 and sell the 1 light

Here’s my question, will 1 XR15 with a 24” Aqautic Life T5 fixture be enough for a mixed reef on a 35” wide tank? Or should I keep both leds and sell the dosing pump?

Thanks for the help!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a good deal, and as long as you don't REALLY need the cash, I wouldn't sell anything.

I keep extras of almost everything. I have spare (old and crappy) leds, spare return and wavemaker pumps, spare tanks for that matter. You never know when they may come in handy or even save the day if something you are using ever fails!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have to recoup some cash then i would personally sell the doser and keep the lights. You can always hand dose... lighting is life support...

OP
OP
pjoyce

pjoyce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got a good deal, and as long as you don't REALLY need the cash, I wouldn't sell anything."

I want a smaller skimmer. That is an ac skimmer rated for 1000 liters on a 300 liter system. As for the pumps, I'm happy with my Tunzes and don't need them. Same with the 2.1. I have 2 X1s that I am happy with. I don't NEED the money, but it would be cool to sell that stuff I don't need (want is maybe a different story) and come out even.

If you have to recoup some cash then i would personally sell the doser and keep the lights. You can always hand dose... lighting is life support...

Dose by hand... who would've thought it.... That seriously made the decision for me unless I figure out how to produce sunlight from my hands.

So, hang both LEDs with the T5 fixture and turn them down?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want a smaller skimmer. That is an ac skimmer rated for 1000 liters on a 300 liter system. As for the pumps, I'm happy with my Tunzes and don't need them. Same with the 2.1. I have 2 X1s that I am happy with. I don't NEED the money, but it would be cool to sell that stuff I don't need (want is maybe a different story) and come out even.

Dose by hand... who would've thought it.... That seriously made the decision for me unless I figure out how to produce sunlight from my hands.

So, hang both LEDs with the T5 fixture and turn them down?
Hahah i know right! But it sounds like you have that covered with the X1s which i hear are fantastic little pumps. I just think even with the T5s going 1 xr15 wont be enough coverage for the long run. Dont you want to be able to crank them radions up once things grown large and you need the spread and coverage?

OP
OP
pjoyce

pjoyce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah i know right! But it sounds like you have that covered with the X1s which i hear are fantastic little pumps. I just think even with the T5s going 1 xr15 wont be enough coverage for the long run. Dont you want to be able to crank them radions up once things grown large and you need the spread and coverage?

The only thing I don't like about them is that don't keep time at all... or at least mine don't. I get up to 10 minutes of drift every week.

My question was more of a how to switch over to 2 LEDs. I'll be going from 1 Kessil A360 running at max 80% along with the T5s over to 2 XR15s with T5s. I'm assuming I'll have to turn the Radions down a little at first, or?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only thing I don't like about them is that don't keep time at all... or at least mine don't. I get up to 10 minutes of drift every week.

My question was more of a how to switch over to 2 LEDs. I'll be going from 1 Kessil A360 running at max 80% along with the T5s over to 2 XR15s with T5s. I'm assuming I'll have to turn the Radions down a little at first, or?
In my experience (currently paying the price for this right now) you will need to turn them way down and very very slowly bring them up to where you want them. The acclimation mode should help you. I use an Apex with a wxm so i dont have acclimation mode and i went too fast. I recently switched from a xr15 over a nano tank to an xr30 over a 50 gal. I bleached out some of my coral. Luckily things are heading back in the right direction now. Once things are growing nicely again im adding some Reefbrite strips for a little extra light. But yes those Radions are very powerful. Be careful!

OP
OP
pjoyce

pjoyce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I might do is just build them into my current setup and start the acclimation process. Then, when the new tank is ready, all I have to do ist move everything over.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. The slower the better. I always make too many changes too fast aNd regret it. Dont be like me hahah! Good luck with the Opus. I was waiting for that tank to hit the US but ultimately needed a new tank sooner! They really look nice!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 72 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back