Lighting Upgrade Journal - Finally taking the plunge!

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 2 150/175 ARO Electronic ballasts and 2 175Watt SE Ushio 10,000K bulbs! I am going from 2 96W pc tubes to the 2 175 watt Ushios, and 1 96W Actinic PC tube! I was wavering for a long time on bulb wattage and SE or DE! I was going to go with 1 250 watt bulb, but the outskirts of the tank would be dark...so I figured on 2 lesser wattage bulbs. I went with SE bulbs and electronic ballasts because of heat. Finally I chose the 10,000K bulb because I wanted to use an actinic bulb for dawn/dusk...and anything above the 10,000K would have been just as blue as the actinic. I an going to jouranl the crossover from PC to MH/PC with pictures

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wooohooo! That's awesome!! I bet it feels good to be off the pot... Takes me forever to make a decision with lights.
:D
Laurie

cardgenius

Paging Dr. Greenthumb!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be cool to see. I plan on doing the same thing in the next couple months. Im soo glad to be getting rid of these dang PC's!!

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about it guys...I have been pondering this forever! I feel like the PCs are really handcuffing the tank though...so hopefully this will take it to the next level!

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the PC's add enough blue for you. Ushio 10K's aren;t as yellow as lot of 10K's, but they aren't very blue at all. My favorite 175W combo was 2 VHO actinic 03's and the 175W Ushio. My ballasts don't run Ushios very well, though (I get about 6 months before they quit firing), so it is off to find another non German bulb (with more blue, too, as decree'd by the wife ;) ).

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that the Ushios are "crisp white"...so the actinic should set it off pretty well! I just ordered 2 Orion fans last night for the hood!

www.Arcade-Electronics.Com

Hopefully in the next week or so we (MinibowMatt) and myself can start getting the wood together!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats Steve.. I remember that time when I switched from PC to MH and don't ever want to go back.. :)

Marvin

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never have done MH yet. I have done PC's and T5's. I am really impressed with T5 though. But in the next coming months i am planning on settting up a 75g and my plans for lighting are my T5's, (i have 4x 54 fixture), make 3 of them actincs and the other 10k daylight and have 2 175 watt MH's or 2 250watt MH's...........

Steve :D

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am goging to take some serious before and after pics of some of my favorites...and some full tnak shots also!

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be great. I am very tenative to go to MH's just because the fact that they are expensive and they over heat tanks. And i really dont want to wast money on a 300$ chiller(who does?). I know growth rates are astounding with MH's but isnt there another way like T5's ?? I mena that could be my setup. I could take my T5 fixture that i have now and combine it with a Tek fixture. I could have single reflectors to get the optimum out of the T5's or i could do a combo of T5 and MH. Opinions are welcome.......

Steve

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stixbaraca said:
Fishes...you should start a thread to get people's opinions on the topic!!

LOL

I thought I was the resident thread pirate...Harr harr harr...

Do you think your before and after pics will have more color, or more growth faster?
:D
Laurie

OP
OP
Stixbaraca

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping a little more of both...but most likely growth over color because of the bulbs I chose. I really really love the look of the 14K bulbs...with morph zoas into awesome colors but restrict the growth a little. I chose to go with 10,000K because I could get growth and color...and still use my Actinic PC for dawn/dusk...which would have been hard with a 14K light which is already very blue!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back