Looking for Advice

finnish___fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, after years of looking in from the outside I’m finally in a place financially where I feel comfortable jumping into reef keeping. There’s only one issue and that is that there is a high probability that I will be moving in June of 2025.

My question: Is it worth buying all of the equipment and setting up my tank now? The plan would be to do 90G (36”x24”x24) mixed reef. I know that the general consensus is that it takes around a year for a reef to mature and establish itself so my concern is that if I end up moving I’ll be tearing the tank down as soon as it’s hitting its stride. Maybe these reservations are unfounded, but I’d appreciate any feedback or opinions y’all can offer.

Thanks in advance.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, after years of looking in from the outside I’m finally in a place financially where I feel comfortable jumping into reef keeping. There’s only one issue and that is that there is a high probability that I will be moving in June of 2025.

My question: Is it worth buying all of the equipment and setting up my tank now? The plan would be to do 90G (36”x24”x24) mixed reef. I know that the general consensus is that it takes around a year for a reef to mature and establish itself so my concern is that if I end up moving I’ll be tearing the tank down as soon as it’s hitting its stride. Maybe these reservations are unfounded, but I’d appreciate any feedback or opinions y’all can offer.

Thanks in advance.
Maybe just set up tank, and cycle the rocks to make start up easier but I was told a tank left dry can have the silicone shrink, and cause leaks. Mine was dry for 2 years and no leaks. As far as other equipment prices soar like the stock market. So buying now would not hurt. Just buy from a large chain for warranty reasons. My thoughts

OP
OP
F

finnish___fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just set up tank, and cycle the rocks to make start up easier but I was told a tank left dry can have the silicone shrink, and cause leaks. Mine was dry for 2 years and no leaks. As far as other equipment prices soar like the stock market. So buying now would not hurt. Just buy from a large chain for warranty reasons. My thoughts
I’m planning on doing an acrylic set up for just this reason. I’ve been keeping freshwater tanks for years and had a previously wet 20 gallon UNS blow its seams after spending 6 months dry. This shouldn’t be an issue with the acrylic and even if it gets scuffed up I can buff and polish whenever I do end up breaking it down.

Don’t hate the idea of just slowly accumulating supplies though. I already have two MP40s so maybe I’ll just stockpile more Ecotech stuff because I trust their warranties.

Thanks for the input!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are more than likely moving in a year I would personally wait. For all of it. But if you wont be able to get the tank or some other piece of equipment at that time then I would probably just grab it now. Tanks sit in warehouses, showrooms, lfs for years sometimes and they are usually fine. Its when they are in extreme temps that bad stuff happens. Anything you buy now the warranty starts now even if you are not using it. Moving living organisms is a pain and stressful to them.

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting situation…On one hand, there are a lot of people who move tanks successfully, but there are also unsuccessful moves. To me, it would depend on how likely the chance is that you are going to move. If it’s a high chance, then I would probably wait, do research, gather equipment as it goes on sale, etc. If it’s a low to medium chance, then I would do it! Ultimately, you have to do decide on what’s best for your circumstance.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance.
Moving sn aquarium is a hassle and emotionally taxing at a time when you don’t need another distraction, especially with your first reef aquarium. Hold off the aquarium purchase.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on doing an acrylic set up for just this reason. I’ve been keeping freshwater tanks for years and had a previously wet 20 gallon UNS blow its seams after spending 6 months dry. This shouldn’t be an issue with the acrylic and even if it gets scuffed up I can buff and polish whenever I do end up breaking it down.

Don’t hate the idea of just slowly accumulating supplies though. I already have two MP40s so maybe I’ll just stockpile more Ecotech stuff because I trust their warranties.

Thanks for the input!
Especially lights and a pump for I presume your sump. Make sure you use correct cleaning pad for acrylic , I did not know there was a difference. A glass cleaning pad will scratch your acrylic

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the input!
I agree with Freenow, one more thought I have would be to leave the lights off for at least the first 4 months. It made a TREMENDOUS difference in my tank. During that time get some copepods. Then when you move and set back up, you will be good to go.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 90 is going to be a bear of a tank to move if it's up and running with livestock. I'd personally wait on such a large tank until you know you'll be a little more stable.

If the 90 is your ultimate goal, I'd get some rock cycling now in something like a brute barrel or Rubbermaid trough. Then, in 3 or 6 or 12 months from now you can reevaluate your living situation. If you think you're staying, you'll have your rock cycled and ready to go. If you plan on moving, now you just have to move some wet rocks, and when you get where you're going you can start your tank right away with your cycled rocks.

And if you still want to explore saltwater in the mean time, consider starting a much smaller tank, like a 10 or 20 gallon. A tank of this size would be much easier to rehome or move with if needed, and would be good as a quarantine tank if/when you start your 90.

OP
OP
F

finnish___fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are more than likely moving in a year I would personally wait. For all of it. But if you wont be able to get the tank or some other piece of equipment at that time then I would probably just grab it now. Tanks sit in warehouses, showrooms, lfs for years sometimes and they are usually fine. It’s when they are in extreme temps that bad stuff happens. Anything you buy now the warranty starts now even if you are not using it. Moving living organisms is a pain and stressful

This is an interesting situation…On one hand, there are a lot of people who move tanks successfully, but there are also unsuccessful moves. To me, it would depend on how likely the chance is that you are going to move. If it’s a high chance, then I would probably wait, do research, gather equipment as it goes on sale, etc. If it’s a low to medium chance, then I would do it! Ultimately, you have to do decide on what’s best for your circumstance.
It’s definitely been something I’ve been mulling over for a while now. I’d say the chances of me moving are like 70/30. I’m currently living in NYC and applying to graduate schools both inside and outside of the immediate area. After reading all of y'alls input I think I'm gonna hold off for the time being. I've got plenty of experience moving with freshwater and can't say that I've ever found it to be enjoyable. Plus, like I said, I've been a quiet observer of reefing for years, so one more won't kill me.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Last edited:

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I was told a tank left dry can have the silicone shrink, and cause leaks.
Thats one of those reef myths that wonderful and stable people came up with. Ive left tanks outside in the weather for a decade, seal still fine. Ive also never worn level 4 hazmat ppe to do a water change.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back