Man Vs Bryopsis - Kent's, Continuum, and Vibrant treatment thread

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxxingout's strain of bryopsis above is the plant equivalent to the ostreopsis strain of dinoflagellates. its a known regrower strain, coupled with LR porosity its the utmost challenge for the doser. Not the initial kill, but the sustain.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to beat this Bryopsis one way or another. I cant be putting all this rock and corals in the RS 525xl in this state.

Here is the tank a few minutes ago. The Bry is everywhere, but the situation IS improving. Ive always done 2-3 week WC's, sometimes every week. This all starting with a few stands on a sunny D frag.
IMG_5233.JPG

IMG_5234.JPG

IMG_5236.JPG

IMG_5237.JPG

IMG_5238.JPG

IMG_5239.JPG

IMG_5240.JPG

IMG_5241.JPG

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doser vibrant not having a toxicity effect on shrimps and delicates puts it in a different league than typical dosers.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doser vibrant not having a toxicity effect on shrimps and delicates puts it in a different league than typical dosers.

Agreed, but if people think dosing more than whats suggested may cause some adverse effects. These guys put in the R&D so i see no reason not to follow their instructions.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the good part is they're getting statements of repeated bleaching of target only, and no reported losses, no matter what action is in play the level of user feedback is something to watch im pretty impressed with the vibrant so far. how nice not having to remove things to force rasp...if it sustains after eradication they're onto something big, it'll be on the big blogs soon, bet.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the good part is they're getting statements of repeated bleaching of target only, and no reported losses, no matter what action is in play the level of user feedback is something to watch im pretty impressed with the vibrant so far. how nice not having to remove things to force rasp...if it sustains after eradication they're onto something big, it'll be on the big blogs soon, bet.

You are one of the biggest skeptics, and I really like that. Everything I read from you demonstrates awesome critical thinking skills. Ive been waiting to see how you would rate this product once you started using it. Seeing is believing right?

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trimmed quite a bit of bryopsis today, I would say about 1.5lb total if not more, the rest is mostly harder to pull so hopefully the vibrant can take over from here. I think I'm going to dose 10ml three times a week instead of two, I know it's a little over the recommendation but I just want to finally be rid of this plague.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also removed a ton of Bryopsis and turf algae. Received my Vibrant today so I'm crossing my fingers with it. Been ashamed of tank pictures due to the algae farm I have. I'm starting a daily journal to document my journey.

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my second 17.5ml dose today. I have not seen a huge change from prior to starting the dosing but the cyano has started to break up a little bit and the bryopsis appears to be clumping together instead of fanning out like a fern. I don't know if all of this is coincidental or not but I am hopeful this solves my issue and it is still early in the process.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also removed a ton of Bryopsis and turf algae. Received my Vibrant today so I'm crossing my fingers with it. Been ashamed of tank pictures due to the algae farm I have. I'm starting a daily journal to document my journey.

I know how you feel :(

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vibrant really is doing good in my tank. There has always been this crud line on the tank walls down in the bottom just above the sand. Takes a lot of work to scrub it off. Well, its disappeared on its own almost completely.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so after the fourth dose, growth has slowed but not stopped, no change in color. I have a couple small , 1/2" size, patches of turf algae that seem to be changing/dissolving so will keep going and keep hoping. I will say this, the water has never been so crystal clear and my glass has been clean for three days now, never happened before. I think that just for the extremely clear water this stuff is worth dosing.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant Update

Its been 23 days using Vibrant in my 20G. This stuff is amazing! Its melting the Bryopsis now. I believe there is still some bubble algea but i havent actually seen any for a few days. Ill keep my eyes open. So this cleaner seems to be eating the algae's in a ladder system as described. The Bryopsis is turning brown bubbling and finally dissolving. I believe im about halfway there. I was am cleaning my acrylic every 3 days and it easily wipe off with a magic eraser. One quick pass and its crystal.

Considering using some NO3/PO4 X as maybe it will help the Vibrant bacterias to focus more on healthy Bryopsis instead of dissolving nitrates. Ill have to ask Jeff @UWC about this.

This melting effect is new as of the 6th dose. My dosing schedule is 4 pumps of Vibrant at night every 3 days. Tonight will be dose #8 = 23 days of Vibrant. As far as i can tell invers are unaffected by my aggressive dosing. Some corals are bleaching a little like cyphastrea. This may be also due to stretching out my WC's in theory that it will cut back Vibrant. I am going to refrain from manual removal. I believe if i just let it go it will dissolve. If i need to remove for coral survival i will, as may a few cases.

IMG_5372.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

See here the green spots are the healthiest parts.
IMG_5374.JPG

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try the NOX, but seems like best results come from using straight Po4 remover along with Vibrant like gfo.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! happy for you. I know you've had a royal rumble with this stuff!

Vibrant Update

Its been 23 days using Vibrant in my 20G. This stuff is amazing! Its melting the Bryopsis now. I believe there is still some bubble algea but i havent actually seen any for a few days. Ill keep my eyes open. So this cleaner seems to be eating the algae's in a ladder system as described. The Bryopsis is turning brown bubbling and finally dissolving. I believe im about halfway there. I was am cleaning my acrylic every 3 days and it easily wipe off with a magic eraser. One quick pass and its crystal.

Considering using some NO3/PO4 X as maybe it will help the Vibrant bacterias to focus more on healthy Bryopsis instead of dissolving nitrates. Ill have to ask Jeff @UWC about this.

This melting effect is new as of the 6th dose. My dosing schedule is 4 pumps of Vibrant at night every 3 days. Tonight will be dose #8 = 23 days of Vibrant. As far as i can tell invers are unaffected by my aggressive dosing. Some corals are bleaching a little like cyphastrea. This may be also due to stretching out my WC's in theory that it will cut back Vibrant. I am going to refrain from manual removal. I believe if i just let it go it will dissolve. If i need to remove for coral survival i will, as may a few cases.

IMG_5372.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

See here the green spots are the healthiest parts.
IMG_5374.JPG

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 10days behind you and haven't seen real change yet. I hope I get a similar response as you, so sick of this weed! Glad it is working out for you, gonna be great if and when it's all gone.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 10days behind you and haven't seen real change yet. I hope I get a similar response as you, so sick of this weed! Glad it is working out for you, gonna be great if and when it's all gone.

What's your dosing schedule?

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice a week at your recomended dosage. The only noticable change is that I have gone from undetectable nitrates to 2.0 ppm. No husbandry changes on my part other than your product so hoping this is a sign of good things to come as maybe the bryopsis has stopped absorbing it?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back