OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks @Robin Haselden Funny you should tell me that. The tank I found at petsmart was half off because the led lights didn't work <g>

So, got a 20 gal hex tank for 55 bucks. A steal. Got some fake plants and a "rock" decoration with lots of holes. I'll bleach them when done and soak in rodi water. Or toss. If I have to add the 3 damsels, they and the chromis need hidey spots and they might also help the chromis hide from the damsels. At least they'll go in with damsels last. Might have some pvc pipe around to add for the sand sifter and blenny. I'll have to watch my tank as I have no idea if there are still two barnacle blennies as they need to be removed...

Petsmart had no medications so ordered on amazon. Won't be here until sat. So will get everything set up and waiting.

I could catch fish up and do the freshwater bath but that means netting them again for the bath ruby reef bath, unless I can use along with copper in qt.

From what I read above, no time to adjust copper meds? If fish are still alive by Sat. should I do it more slowly? Or plunge right in. The damsels can wait until Sunday if needed

I feel exhausted....

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I said catching and starting the freshwater dip, I'd put them into the qt tank and then net and do the rest of treatments on Sat after it all arrives. Might be too late... But I can't get any of the meds before

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaving fish known to have velvet in an unmedicated QT for several days seems a bit counterproductive to me, as it would give velvet trophonts time to leave the fish and comfortably ensconce themselves on the glass and decor, only to produce more parasites down the line.

~Bruce

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still need to acclimate them to copper, but you need to do it at faster rate. I don't recommend you adding the fish with full dosage, probably start with half the dosage and get it up to full dosage within 24 hours. For now just do FW dip in order to remove as much velvet as possible from the fish, it will give them more time. You can then return them to the tank until the QT is ready and medication is set.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure it's worth catching them up just to return them and then catch them up again. I have another 10 gal without lid or anything that I could use for tonight and tomorrow with air stones and then put them in the semi perm. qt tank for the next 76 days. They will be difficult to catch as is, once, let alone twice. Then the other tank can be emptied, bleached, and left in sun for days

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add: Yes, the damsels need to be caught, QTd, the fuge left fallow for 76 days, the whole nine yards. ;)

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, so I need to remove the three damsels in the fuge and add them to the qt tank as well? That will be fun.... fish trap for sure....Will see if I can find a 10 gal. Will acylic work or do I need glass. Getting ready to head to petsmart to see what they hve before I hit amazon
Anyone ever see a fish trap work...not me...got to take everything out into a bucket and than just go for it with a couple of nets...that's how I got rid of my damsels...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another ugh! I bought national geographic sand from petsmart, got home and notice it says for fresh water. It is not reef safe sand. is it okay for a qt tank as I have a couple of fish needing sand? I plan to just toss it. I also have a sleep gold head goby who needs sand. is this not good

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another ugh! I bought national geographic sand from petsmart, got home and notice it says for fresh water. It is not reef safe sand. is it okay for a qt tank as I have a couple of fish needing sand? I plan to just toss it. I also have a sleep gold head goby who needs sand. is this not good

from what I understand about the freshwater sand is that it's full of silicates and what-not that can cause algae and other problems in a reef tank. I don't know that it would be a problem in a temporary QT. I would certainly rinse it very well. it's too bad your so far from me. I have like 50 lbs of figi pink sand sitting in buckets in my garage.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 lol's and yeah, too bad. It was the smallest size petsmart had

In 2 hours, I've gotten one of 4 fish out. chromis hide in reef rock holes and sand sifter zips under rocks... Took out top two rocks of my cavern and it's sitting in a bucket. Guess I get to do some relandscaping...

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the same thing as you are right now. Just FW dipped my tang and I hag to remove every rock but the base rocks to catch him. Way too fast and way too many hiding places. Oh well, once I get QT all the way set up I'll completely re-scape the tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some "freshwater sand" will drive down pH. :(

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Robin Haselden so sorry. wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. well.......

I may have to remove rocks tomorrow. going to give up soon here. Got the scooter blenny out and into the temp qt tank. He's a bit upset...

Making up some more saltwater. Corals might have to go into a tub. Guess this gives me the opportunity to really attack the algae and not worry about fish.

another question. Right now the temp tank is fresh saltwater. for the longer term qt tank for the next 76 days once all fish are in, can I use water from the main display tank so it's not totally new water.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another question. Right now the temp tank is fresh saltwater. for the longer term qt tank for the next 76 days once all fish are in, can I use water from the main display tank so it's not totally new water.

I wouldn't, because you will probably be introducing fresh dinospores (free swimmers) seeking fish to infect.

You will need to use a bacteria in a bottle product to seed your QT's bio-filter: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ammonia-control-in-a-hospital-tank.296119/

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish You're right. better order some biospira. I have prime and stability for emergency control but do need the live. I did buy some floss stuff to use as I can't use what comes with the tank as it is all in o ne with carbon. also purchased some ammonia foam to add.

Giving up to night. 2 chromis and one goby eluding me. Damsels in second tank and will worry about them after I get everyone else out

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Susan Edwards Stability works fine too for seeding nitrifying bacteria. Just takes a few days for it to get going.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Humblefish I ordered the biospira so will be able to get that tank set up today. I even paid for one day delivery with prime, so not too much. I'll use the stability or prime during wc's etc.

anyone know how long I can put my rock in buckets of tank water? Both my tanks stay around 76-78 without heaters. Do I need airstones with the rocks. They started out as dry rock but should be live rock now. I'm going to have to tear at least half of tank apart. I have a ton of trochus baby snails and some little round white worms (little spots in a spiral-forget the name but was told good to have). Also, can I do a peroxide bath for the algae and not lose any tiny critters or snail if I can't see them. Figured I'd yank off as much algae as I can first. If so, what is the ratio-1 mil per 10 gal? Will do same for algae on frags.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the rocks at temp and salinity and keep flow on them and they will be good in those buckets almost indefinitely. The bacteria in the rocks does not need you to feed it, it will go dormant and wake back up when there is food. While my tank is fallow I'm going to try a black out to kill the GHA and maybe a peroxide dose.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back