Marine velvet

Palmcoastfl95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently had Marine velvet and was wondering to have some pointers and suggestions on my copper quarantine for the survivors what I can do to my display tank to prepare for the addition of the livestock in 3 weeks also about quarantining clean up crew should I clean quarantine everything at this point with my 200 gallon I don't want to take everything apart again I've only been in the hobby for about 2 years and after losing my yellow tang with this velvet outbreak I want to do everything right

OP
OP
P

Palmcoastfl95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently had Marine velvet and was wondering to have some pointers and suggestions on my copper quarantine for the survivors what I can do to my display tank to prepare for the addition of the livestock in 3 weeks also about quarantining clean up crew should I clean quarantine everything at this point with my 200 gallon I don't want to take everything apart again I've only been in the hobby for about 2 years and after losing my yellow tang with this velvet outbreak I want to do everything right
I want to add fish in with my survivors after they have been in QT for 3 weeks since tge outbreak , good idea ?
I use cupramine .levels at .25 rising them to .5 since new live stock and everyone seems ok

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check out the quarantine guide on here by Jay Hemdal. That should cover it. 30 days in copper at 81F and 45 days fallow in the display. I think the fallow display should be 81F but I need #fishmedic to clarify that for me

What copper are you using?

OP
OP
P

Palmcoastfl95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220618_133233.jpg
started using this.and after i thought my fish were immune to what i thought was ich ,i started a new tank .
Everyone was doing great
Boom

Ill find my pictures
Removed every fish on may 22nd

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220618_133233.jpg
started using this.and after i thought my fish were immune to what i thought was ich ,i started a new tank .
Everyone was doing great
Boom

Ill find my pictures
Removed every fish on may 22nd
Exactly how were you using it and testing to ensure that therapeutic levels were maintained? And did you put copper in your display?

OP
OP
P

Palmcoastfl95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i did the firs day i had bottles left over from previous ich treatments,now i have a poly filter on the DT to remove the copper ill attach photo of what happened
And i put the survivors in a 75 gallon QT
Will post those as well
20220515_081659.jpg
20220521_105542.jpg

Attachments

• 20220522_122936.jpg
    20220522_122936.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 52

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add fish but keep in mind copper treats ich and velvet and new fish could carry other stuff like uronema/bacterial infections/flukes which can complicate matters if treating multiple things with different medications as mixing meds is always more risk.

Treatment does not start until therapeutic levels are reached. So yes, you should raise and count that as day 1.

OP
OP
P

Palmcoastfl95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everyone is in a 75 gallon tank now with some rock to hold bacteria, is this a bad idea .posting a pic now

Attachments

• 20220618_135401.jpg
    20220618_135401.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 63

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to remove some of the copper with cuprisorb, but as @Sharkbait19 said, dosing copper with calcaerous rock is not ideal.

Are you using a Hanna checker to measure copper levels?

EDIT: do you have a HOB filter on the new tank? Do you have more than one powerhead for water flow?

OP
OP
P

Palmcoastfl95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add fish but keep in mind copper treats ich and velvet and new fish could carry other stuff like uronema/bacterial infections/flukes which can complicate matters if treating multiple things with different medications as mixing meds is always more risk.

Treatment does not start until therapeutic levels are reached. So yes, you should raise and count that as day 1.
Okay good to know

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't dose copper at all without using a HR Hanna (or equivalent) copper checker. Those drops aren't likely to get you the precision readings that you'll require unless you're very experienced with the product.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some behaviors associated with a fish with velvet are :
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease.
Remove fish from main tank and give them a FW dip or bath and then place them into a QT with vigorous aeration provided. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication such as copper power at 2.25 monitored by a reliable test kit and No Api either. Although many over-the-counter remedies contain the general name as ich or ick treatments, carefully read the box to be sure it is specifically designed to target Oodinium.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely want to buy the hanna HR copper checker. It would be a shame to do all of this only for ich to return because it is impossible to know if it really is 0.5 with API color scale.

Even a bigger shame if fish died because of a overdose due to inaccuracy of the color scale.

OP
OP
P

Palmcoastfl95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright im going to order one now,my local FS didnt have any instock when i was there so ive been gettin by with this.
Very sad to loose my fish and dont wanna go thru this again so now i have Clean up crew QT and fish qt ,just need help doing it right ...

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright im going to order one now,my local FS didnt have any instock when i was there so ive been gettin by with this.
Very sad to loose my fish and dont wanna go thru this again so now i have Clean up crew QT and fish qt ,just need help doing it right ...
You're not going to have CUC very long if you dose copper when they're in the tank; it's highly toxic to invertebrates (such as snails).

Don't despair. Most of us have (or will) been through this, and it's actually not that difficult to set up an effective quarantine system. You can even quarantine fish (even if you're not medicating them) in a garbage can or plastic tote with a powerhead, heater, and hang-on-back filter (checking for ammonia levels frequently). The trick with dosing copper is to maintain a log (and keep it up) and measure levels daily. You can't let copper fall below the minimum therapeutic level or you'll have to start all over again. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back