OP
OP
P

Palmcoastfl95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not going to have CUC very long if you dose copper when they're in the tank; it's highly toxic to invertebrates (such as snails).

Don't despair. Most of us have (or will) been through this, and it's actually not that difficult to set up an effective quarantine system. You can even quarantine fish (even if you're not medicating them) in a garbage can or plastic tote with a powerhead, heater, and hang-on-back filter (checking for ammonia levels frequently). The trick with dosing copper is to maintain a log (and keep it up) and measure levels daily. You can't let copper fall below the minimum therapeutic level or you'll have to start all over again. :)
So the clean up crew in the DT is living and eating fine since i started removing copper and feeding pellets and crab chunks

Everyone is in a 75 gallon tank with copper ,
Applied poly filter today and going to test for copper in DT tmrw

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not add any fish with your survivors. Start a new QT with new fish after your fallow period and survivors back in main tank.

Get a hanna HR copper checker.

Your rock is going to absorb a ton of copper. You want inert things for bacteria to colonize like sponges, PVC pipe, bioballs, etc. If you stick with the rock, you will probably need to add at least double what the bottle says and it becomes imperative that you test with an accurate copper test like the Hanna. The difference in copper level between ineffective, therapeutic, and toxic to fish is not that far apart.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has already been explained. You will need to allow the DT to remain fallow (no fish) for between 45 and 75 days to assure that the parasites (ich or velvet) have been eliminated. As others mentioned, its impossible to maintain copper levels with calcareous rock or sand in the tank. Copper has to be at theraputic levels (.50 for cupramine, 2.50 for Copper Power or Copper Safe) to kill the free swimming stages of the parasite, or, the tank must be fallow with no hosts (fish) for the free swimmers as they hatch.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper cannot be dosed to a tank with calcerous rock, it absorbs it and thus the copper concentration will be too low to be effective.
Fish do not get immune to ich, but can be healthy enough to fight it off.

Supposedly cupramine does not stay in the tank (hence why it needs to constantly be dosed).

EDIT: My bad, this is not true. I went back and looked again at their instructions.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn’t heard that, I’d think it would take a while to go away?

I really don't understand the chemistry of it, but seachem claims it. That would be something for @Randy Holmes-Farley to explain.

EDIT: I see they say it does stay in the water but does not attatch to the "filter bed" like other copper.

Last edited:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly cupramine does not stay in the tank (hence why it needs to constantly be dosed).
My experience has been otherwise. It remained in a QT with no rock or gravel until I did a water change and used cuprisorb at the end of 30 days.

OP
OP
P

Palmcoastfl95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not add any fish with your survivors. Start a new QT with new fish after your fallow period and survivors back in main tank.

Get a hanna HR copper checker.

Your rock is going to absorb a ton of copper. You want inert things for bacteria to colonize like sponges, PVC pipe, bioballs, etc. If you stick with the rock, you will probably need to add at least double what the bottle says and it becomes imperative that you test with an accurate copper test like the Hanna. The difference in copper level between ineffective, therapeutic, and toxic to fish is not that far apart.
Hello
Have the hannah checker now
Been testing at 0.55ppm copper up to 6 when i WC
I try to keep it above 0.50ppm because if it goes below i have to start over correct?

So before i saw this.ive added a purple tang with the fish ,he had ICH.

Its been 3 days and hes almost cleared and eating again

Temp at 82 degrees
And running salinity at 27ppt

Reason for low salinity is the fish store i go to recomended this with the higher temp,seemed to start working the next day.

Now how long should i wait before he goes in my DT ,? Along with eveyone else .

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220627_174434.jpg
    20220627_174434.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220627_174435.jpg
    20220627_174435.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220629_161103.jpg
    20220629_161103.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220629_161145.jpg
    20220629_161145.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 37

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Have the hannah checker now
Been testing at 0.55ppm copper up to 6 when i WC
I try to keep it above 0.50ppm because if it goes below i have to start over correct?

So before i saw this.ive added a purple tang with the fish ,he had ICH.

Its been 3 days and hes almost cleared and eating again

Temp at 82 degrees
And running salinity at 27ppt

Reason for low salinity is the fish store i go to recomended this with the higher temp,seemed to start working the next day.

Now how long should i wait before he goes in my DT ,? Along with eveyone else .

Thanks

You are using cupramine, correct?

As for the salinity, it won't matter if its slightly lower (it won't help nor hurt). Keep the fish in there for 30 days minemum at 81 degrees F. This should be enough. Some people go a bit longer, but that is up to you. 0.5ppm cupramine is correct for the minimum. Seachem says not to go over 0.8ppm, so you should be good. 0.55ppm is nice as you are above the minimum particularly when considering the error range on the kit

OP
OP
P

Palmcoastfl95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are using cupramine, correct?

As for the salinity, it won't matter if its slightly lower (it won't help nor hurt). Keep the fish in there for 30 days minemum at 81 degrees F. This should be enough. Some people go a bit longer, but that is up to you. 0.5ppm cupramine is correct for the minimum. Seachem says not to go over 0.8ppm, so you should be good. 0.55ppm is nice as you are above the minimum particularly when considering the error range on the kit
Thank you for the reply ,and it seems like everyone eats and is healthy now *even thos purple tang has some spots left ☆
Does that mean i can start my 30 day count down now ?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply ,and it seems like everyone eats and is healthy now *even thos purple tang has some spots left ☆
Does that mean i can start my 30 day count down now ?

You can start the 30 days. I prefer starting the clock once it appears the parasites have "fallen off" into the next stage of their reproductive cycle.

OP
OP
P

Palmcoastfl95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start the 30 days. I prefer starting the clock once it appears the parasites have "fallen off" into the next stage of their reproductive cycle

You can start the 30 days. I prefer starting the clock once it appears the parasites have "fallen off" into the next stage of their reproductive cycle.
Excellent , i will continue to post updates and then the additon to the DT,i appreciate your feed back

OP
OP
P

Palmcoastfl95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so update - 11 days untill everyone goes back home ....today i checked copper at o.41ppm...

I then added copper to bring back up

This drop lasted about12 hours .

My question is ,do i now have to start over ?

****** thing is my reagents dont come untill tommrow so i cant see if it was a faulty test sometimes the fluctuate about .8ppm when i do two test back to back

Using hannah checker

Thank you!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 34 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back