May purchase a pre-owned large glass aquarium - anyone have experience with shipping accross the country with a freight carrier?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the LONG topic says, I may purchase a large aquarium from someone who is moving, and I would have to arrange to have it crated, then shipped accross the country. Does anyone have experience with something like this, and if so, what freight company did you use? Any information and/or tips would be greatly appreciated!

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72"L x 48"W x 24"H 3/4" Glass + aluminum stand.
Nice size... my acrylic tank is 72”x 60”x 27” 500g... my favorite tank ever

If you were looking at a smaller tank I would have said to just buy a new one locally, but if you are getting a good deal on that tank and stand, it may worth shipping.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure it can be done. I have not done it except my RS750 oh and my SCA 90 dose that count?? so maybe others will chime in.

but here are my thoughts on how I would go about this:

1st thing I would think about is insurance. see how much that is going to be and if the shipping company will cover it or if you need 3rd party or both.

2nd I would call around the area the tank is in can talk to some shipping companies if you have not already. not only to get quote but to see how they would want it crated.
maybe call red sea and ask them who they use or Steve from SCA?? they companies are shipping tanks all the time, they have it dialed might be able to help in some way?

3rd see if there are any handyman in the tanks area that can build you a shipping crate.

4th get quote on new tank shipped right to you so you know how much "saving" you getting for the trouble.

I am curious how this goes plz do update!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be making some calls to freight companies today. I'll update once I have more info.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back