McCOSKERS WRASSE IS HE LOOKING OK? (FLASHER WRASSE)

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello my fellow reefers so I managed to get this beauty and I took a little video of him can anyone please have a look and make sure he is ok he's not getting chased by anything other than the lawnmower blenny and he only does it when he's near his spot

when I put some food out he does swim around and eats it

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the YouTube video - which are easier to See. It's hard to say 'its ok' - It seems ok - but without seeing more 'action' - with a longer video - where you can easily count respirations, etc it's hard to say. You can also count respirations yourself - count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4 to get the respiratory rate. It's good that it is eating. Did you follow any QT protocol?

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the YouTube video - which are easier to See. It's hard to say 'its ok' - It seems ok - but without seeing more 'action' - with a longer video - where you can easily count respirations, etc it's hard to say. You can also count respirations yourself - count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4 to get the respiratory rate. It's good that it is eating. Did you follow any QT protocol?
@MnFish1 thanks for replying so fast, so all my fish come pre QT'ed. I will try to get a better video of him also when i feed again in a few hours :) and ill count his breathing now be right back

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was counting every time his gill moved and it was anywhere between 25/30 without multiplying it.

so either 100 RPM
or 120RPM

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all fish were properly QT’d, and he is eating, then this is likely harassment. Using an acclimation box is something to consider.

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one but it hasn't arrived yet, he was swimming with the coris wrasse soon as he got in and then he decided to go near a rock which my fat tank of a blenny sits on and then he chased him out of there, I am feeding meaty foods enriched with garlic guard. Is there anything else I can do to help him or make him less stressed or help his breathing?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish will breath heavy when stressed as well, how often is he being chased? Seems he is hiding from the attacker.

What kind of blenny do you have? Midas blenny can be very unkind to other planktivors.

Eating is a good sign

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much my reefing family I was getting worried as I have never had a flasher wrasse so I didn't know it's behaviour I'm happy to know that it's normal other than a nick in its body I will give you and update in 1 week so you guys can see how he's getting along thank you again

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When he does come out to eat, does he appear to be swimming normally or does it look like he’s swimming tail is down or with a bent spine?
I will keep a look out for the next time he comes out I think he swims normal only when he's looking up or facing up is when he's looking up with his tail down or when he's hovering

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you so much my reefing family I was getting worried as I have never had a flasher wrasse so I didn't know it's behaviour I'm happy to know that it's normal other than a nick in its body I will give you and update in 1 week so you guys can see how he's getting along thank you again
Wrasse will do tricks, play dead and sleep weird and cause you anxiety when they are fine in many cases

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish will breath heavy when stressed as well, how often is he being chased? Seems he is hiding from the attacker.

What kind of blenny do you have? Midas blenny can be very unkind to other planktivors.

Eating is a good sign
It's the lawnmower blenny and maybe 2 or 3 times it's only when he goes into his exact rock position in which the blenny perches and looks around

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back