McCOSKERS WRASSE IS HE LOOKING OK? (FLASHER WRASSE)

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse will do tricks, play dead and sleep weird and cause you anxiety when they are fine in many cases
Yeh I get really anxious I've been just sitting next to the tank fish sitting for an hour or 2 lol I don't like to see any animal stressed I just want them to be as happy as possible under my care I overfeed also to keep the possible aggression too a minimum but the only fish that can be abit of an **** is my lawnmower blenny but that's literally just when you go into his rock

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is a bad batch of fish going around at the moment the amount of people that I have seen post this about wrasses in the last few weeks is unbelievable I bought fish from the lfs a few day ago and he was ok for the first half day then he started to look ill and stressed with heavy breathing and stuff the day after he had a few patches and then today one eye was cloudy and he looked really ill I managed to get him out and freshwater dip him with some medicine and when I put him back in the tank his eye had cleared and looks healthy and swimming freely until the last hour in which I has noticed some patches coming back so tomorrow I'm traveling 70 miles to a fish shop to collect prazipol to nuke the entire reef with them bare in mind in the 5 years I have been reefing I never lost a fish or had any pest other than some hair algae and aptasia which I got rid of

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is a bad batch of fish going around at the moment the amount of people that I have seen post this about wrasses in the last few weeks is unbelievable I bought fish from the lfs a few day ago and he was ok for the first half day then he started to look ill and stressed with heavy breathing and stuff the day after he had a few patches and then today one eye was cloudy and he looked really ill I managed to get him out and freshwater dip him with some medicine and when I put him back in the tank his eye had cleared and looks healthy and swimming freely until the last hour in which I has noticed some patches coming back so tomorrow I'm traveling 70 miles to a fish shop to collect prazipol to nuke the entire reef with them bare in mind in the 5 years I have been reefing I never lost a fish or had any pest other than some hair algae and aptasia which I got rid of
I had a Mccoskers wrasse I got a month ago from LFS. A few days after I got him he started swimming with his tail down and back bent—otherwise eating and breathing normally. After a number of days, he couldn’t swim at all and would Just lie on the sand bed.

he didn’t make it.

I found a thread here by Jay that describe the symptoms precisely. Some sort of unknown neurological disease that shows up in certain Wrasses.

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Mccoskers wrasse I got a month ago from LFS. A few days after I got him he started swimming with his tail down and back bent—otherwise eating and breathing normally. After a number of days, he couldn’t swim at all and would Just lie on the sand bed.

he didn’t make it.

I found a thread here by Jay that describe the symptoms precisely. Some sort of unknown neurological disease that shows up in certain Wrasses.
It's so sad mate I wish we could do more but we can't other than feed them with enriched foods and just wait for their immune system to kick in

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The McCusker wrasse died today he was swimming up to the top and doing bubbles I thought it was an oxygen issue but all the other fishes were ok so I took him out and added him into a separate container and added in an airstone then after 30mins I added half a dose of ruby rally but he sadly died :(

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back