OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awwwww, sorry bout the eggs!!
- the three lil emerald eye rasbora have been in there since October 26 along with the electric blue ram.
All the rest I just put in yesterday and I am hoping upon hope that they do in fact survive and thrive :)
I cannot, however, up the numbers to 5 per school as I would then be "overstocked" :( I actually had full intention of getting 5 of the ee rasbora but:
1. I didn't want to full stock the tank right after just cycling it
2. when I went to get two more as planned, there weren't any left
3. LFS will not specifically order more of any one type unless you want 12 or more....
So.... stuck getting the 3x pink danios to finish that tank off :) I figure those are decent reasons for stocking as I have :eyebrows: As stated earlier, the two neon tetras in the second tank were the last two left at the LFS and were in the same tank as the red glowlight danios, so it's like getting 5 right? lol
And yes, I am well aware that rams are supposed to go in bigger than 10 gallon tanks. IF they grow too large, become too aggressive or just seem miserable later - I WILL move them or trade them. They were just so darned irresistable!!

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
November 10, 2013 @ 6:00pm
After rearranging the rock work
Iphone 2013-11-10 010.jpg

That rock on your sand would prob look better as a shelving rock, on top of the boulders, plus you'll have a caves? Just my thoughts

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on my new rock.....

Ya, I tried that but due to the odd shape of it, I can't get it to seat sturdy enough without worrying it will take a tumble. I am reluctant to glue or make anything permanent at this stage of the game so I put it there for now.

More questions:
Iphone 2013-11-11 003.jpg

is this aptasia?
Iphone 2013-11-11 006.jpg

is this coralline algae?
Iphone 2013-11-11 010.jpg

is this a leather or mushroom coral?

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did some reading on how to get rid of it. Took the rock out, put some pure lemon juice on the darn thing (aiptasia), scrubbed it right off the rock till white was showing and then ran just that spot under hot tap water. The water may have run on a small surface area of the rock, but I think I got the little sucker. I will keep my eyes open for more. Hope the coralline algae and the mushroom survive the experience!

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just caught up on your build, it looks fantastic. If aptasia comes back get a peppermint shrimp, not a camel back. I had some and they took it out no problem.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't touch it, I am afraid I will scare it to death. I am afraid that it and the coralline algae are not going to survive my crappy lighting! My luck, I will be stuck with just the aiptasia! I absolutely cannot afford proper lighting for coral at this time, so it's a shame :(
After torturing my rock and scrubbing that nasty thing off, I scrubbed a couple more suspicious looking spots but was careful to avoid that little shroom spongey thingy :p

and thank you for joining us on my little first sw journey

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew Rt about this site when I first started, I had to learn the hard way lol what size tank do you have? I have a 24" current 4 bulb with legs, I had it on my twenty gallon and everything grew like crazy. I'll give it to you for a good price. Pm me if your are interested. It will handle most beginner corals, and my Coraline was out of control.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alibaba.com, you could get nice LEDs for $95, 120watts full spectrum with Bridgelux LEDs and shipping would be prob $80? Can't go wrong, I bought 4 and sold them for $800 :)

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LOT of places don't ship to Canada, and if they do the cost is more than the merchandise most the time :(
Mine is a 10 gallon

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your wright about the shipping cost, it cost me $150 just for shipping from china to Toronto, but I had 4 units? Maybe cheaper for 1 unit?

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made another order online yesterday for a refractometer, shouldn't have. I really really cannot afford to buy lights at this time. I still need fish and cuc when the tank is finally ready, whenever that may be...
Yes Nana, it does retract when I touch it :) Tho, I dunno if that is good or bad or if I should be touching it at all :roll:

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometer was a good purchase though, very vital. My .02 is just take your time, nothing good comes fast. A lot of my friends rush doing things and they lost a lot. I have lost some but learned my lessen. It's a marathon not a sprint, but you seem to be doing good so far.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really really appreciate all the support and encouragement I am getting from here, it truly warms my heart :)
I agree, refractometer will put my mind at ease about the salinity ... since the hydrometer is so far off that I can't fully trust it :( I soaked it in fresh for over 24 hours and did a test last night, it came out as 1.018 but I have no confidence it was right now!! I will have the refractometer by tomorrow evening tho, so will know for sure. I still had ammonia, I think I may have started another mini cycle with the new live rock but that's alright too :) I am patient, I will not add livestock until the tank is for sure ready for it. Now I can just watch the rock! lol

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrometers are garbage lol. I almost quit reef tanks when I first started, I didn't have the encouragement like you have that's good. Any questions just ask

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back