me again

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not want to calibrate with RO water. Purchase a solution, or go to your local fish store to see if they can give you a drop for calibration. Repeat do not use RO water.

This right here.

As far as lighting goes, is say get one of those cheap bridgelux led lights. I've used them before with success in a full reef.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some calibration fluid with it :)
I hope it isn't as confusing and impossible to calibrate as my pH thingy turned out to be!
I think I also got some little teeny tiny button polyps on the rock fairly near the spongey thingy :)
I am most interested in keeping the zoanthids and button polyps anyway! YaY! (crappy to low light)
Thanks to jtucker, but that site doesn't ship to Canada :(
Nothing new to take pics of and I don't see any sign of more aiptasia yet....
tests showed:
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 40
sg: 1.018 (topped with a bit of quite salty water) have to test again later
temp 78F

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good :)

It looks to me like your main cycle may be set. Try a test for me? Add 1ppm of ammonia. If that disappears within 12 hours AND shows no nitrite, all you still need is for the denitrifiers to populate. n.n

Don't quote me on this, but if it passes the test I mentioned, I believe the next step is first to do a nice-sized water change - bring those nitrates down to no more than 10 - and add your first snails. :) You will need to feed them (the herbivores will be fine without if there's plenty of algae) and they and any missed food will provide your ammonia from then on. Do not dose any ammonia after the first critters are added.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went back to the original light fixture I got with the tank when I bought it off craigslist, just changed the bulb:
[h=3]Marine-GLO T8 Fluorescent Aquarium[/h]T8 Bulb
15 W
405 Lumen
The Marine-GLO T8, 15 W linear fluorescent aquarium bulb delivers a powerful actinic blue light emission that is essential for all saltwater aquariums. The bulb emits an ideal blue light that highlights the fluorescent colours in corals and other photosynthetic invertebrates as well as provides the critical wavelengths they require for strong growth. The strong blue light is also effective at enhancing fish colours, accentuating blue and violet tones. This normal output bulb fits all suitable standard and electronic ballasts. It is recommended in combination with Life-GLO or Power-GLO, as well as for settings requiring for added actinic blue spectrum. Size: 46 cm (18 in).
The fixture is a single bulb, but I can go to home depot and get a 2 bulb fixture for only 25.95 + taxes and then buy the Life-glo OR Pwer-glo bulb to use. For now this is better than a freshwater marineland LED single bright light fixture :)

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant use em at the same time and i am sure that the T8 will be ok. Better than a freshwater light anyway :) As for the difference between T8 & T5, well I already had the T8 fixture and cannnot afford a T5! :) This will just have to do, if the corals start to bleach or brown out, I will try to obtain a different light.
I already ordered the refractometer I couldn't afford cuz it was cheaper than better lights lol. Now I am very excited about it cuz it will be delivered today and I can calibrate it and use it tonight :)
My other tests are showing as all good, just need a pwc and should be set to go by this weekend. I have decided that I will add the clownfish first and then wait a week or two before putting in about half my planned CuC. Another week or two after that and see if I need any more CuC :)

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember when you add fish mostly but anything really you change your bio load so you want to add things slowly.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other tests are showing as all good, just need a pwc and should be set to go by this weekend. I have decided that I will add the clownfish first and then wait a week or two before putting in about half my planned CuC. Another week or two after that and see if I need any more CuC :)

Uhm. Yeah, I just said that... :)

clown fish > week or two > half CuC > nother week or two > see if I need more CuC :)

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just making sure, I have had friends add a bunch of things atty once lose some then just add more to replace it.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya!! I appreciate the reminder too. This hobby is at least half about patience for sure :)
I have decided that since I have no livestock yet, I am going to work on a DIY sump design!!
That will give me a whole lot to do while I am patiently waiting! Right?! lol
It will be a bit kooky but I have pretty much every single thing i need except a small return pump :) that is, if it works at all when I am finished

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it works out for you :)
Mannnn where did you get your patience from?? I'm so rush, rush with this stuff. I need to see a psychiatrist

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol @ Dalmatia - you know that ole saying: Good things come to those who wait
Ok, so I have messed with my tank (yet again, shocker I know) and the tests are:
sg: 1.025 (with my new refractometer, if it's calibrated properly)
temp: up a bit today to 80F (must be the difference in lights)
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 0-5 (pwc)
calcium 380 (a bit low but not sure how to bring it up to say 420)
dkH 9-10
pH 8.2
I switched my maxijet 400 to a hydor koralia 240gph powerhead (much sleeker and looks good in my tank) :)
Now using my maxijet 400 in the saltwater storage bin to keep the salt dissolved.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's a fowlr, you won't have to worry about calcium, magnesium or alkalinity.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, don't worry about calcium, magnesium or alk with a fish-only setup. It doesn't matter except that if you fool with them you may crash the pH.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was fowlr, until I got the lil spongey, mushroom, leather coral thingy in there....
It isn't turning either white or brown and is hanging in (or so it seems) so now I guess I am seeing if I can get that stuff to GROW! lol
.... hahahaha, started my hair brained scheme of a DIY sump!! lol
I will take pics tomorrow and upload them, give ya all a good laugh :)
Guess it would just be a lot easier to say to heck with whatever happens to pop up on that rock and stick with fowlr for now eh!
Everyone wish me luck, I am off to the LFS tomorrow to have them check my water again, if it's good I come home with my Nemo!!
Might take my refractometer along and ask them to calibrate it for me too.... lotta good it did me when my eyes are so bad I couldn't see exactly what the result was :(

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was fowlr, until I got the lil spongey, mushroom, leather coral thingy in there....
It isn't turning either white or brown and is hanging in (or so it seems) so now I guess I am seeing if I can get that stuff to GROW! lol
.... hahahaha, started my hair brained scheme of a DIY sump!! lol
I will take pics tomorrow and upload them, give ya all a good laugh :)
Guess it would just be a lot easier to say to heck with whatever happens to pop up on that rock and stick with fowlr for now eh!
Everyone wish me luck, I am off to the LFS tomorrow to have them check my water again, if it's good I come home with my Nemo!!
Might take my refractometer along and ask them to calibrate it for me too.... lotta good it did me when my eyes are so bad I couldn't see exactly what the result was :(

That lump, whatever it is, is likely a softie and so will not require as much in the way of calcium/magnesium. Your levels are probably fine for it.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning to everyone!! Hope you all have a great day!
Ooooooo that IS good news :) YaY!!
Guess zoas and palys (button polyps?) are all softies too? They are so pretty!
That is what I would be interested in for the sheer diversity of colors :)

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you should be fine, they are pretty simple, only stony corals really need calcium and mag. They use it to build their exoskeleton. Coraline will benefit to

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Score!
was talking to my co-workers lately about my newest hobby (SW) and one of them gave me a 50 gallon fish tank for free. Today one of my contractors brings me: [h=1]Taam Rio Nano Protein Skimmer[/h] brand new! still in the box.
Now I am wondering if anyone here has ever heard of these and if they are any good. If so, will incorporate it into my freaky DIY sump :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back