metal halides and getting the tank to show more blue

legomaheggos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a metal halide canopy with 3 bulbs total spread out 76" long. I would like to get my tank to display the psychedelic blue color instead of pure white. I bought some string led to mount under the canopy but they are only noticeable at night. My anemone and the one coral I have look so much better under blue light. Do I have any good options for achieving this Without buying a whole new lighting system and ditching halide?

OP
OP
L

legomaheggos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty new and not sure how to know if they will fit in my current halide setup. They're just replacement bulbs, correct?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of metal halides do you have, double end,or mogul? What wattage? The 2 already mentioned are good but it depends on what yoir setup is right now. And what type of ballasts are you running?

OP
OP
L

legomaheggos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm honestly not entirely sure of the answer to the ballast question. I bought it and my lighting from a lfs that closed for a real good price. no identifying marks on it for a model.Imgur

The bulbs are 150 watt double ended. 3 total.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read the 150w radium is a good bulb but for the price and output you can go with other bulbs that are cheaper and still get the same performance. Honestly when it comes to radiums anything other than the 250w mogul isn't really worth running. There are other bulbs out there that perform as well as the 150w and 400w radium. So I wouldn't really recommend the 150w just because of the name. There is a thread on here somewhere when they compared all radium bulbs to aquamaxx halide bulbs and a few others.

OP
OP
L

legomaheggos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the links. Is there any real difference of quality between the two? I'd prefer to not spend almost 300 on lights when mine still work.. just not a big fan of the solid white light look. Doesnt make the tank pop like the blue leds I run at night do.

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my tank under 150w 14k phoenix bulb only, no supplemental blue lighting. It will give you the pop you are looking for, definitely give them a shot. If you want more blue after, look into adding a reefbrite LED strip or a couple T5 actinics.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426856074.524022.jpg

OP
OP
L

legomaheggos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Looks like exactly what I am looking For. Just hate to drop another 120 I could spend on a few coral for new lights when my old ones still technically work :). May wait it out until they die and replace them with blue as they go.

jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the phoenix 14k 150 watt bulb and run 2 blue plus and 2 true actinic t5 bulbs with it and love the look.

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Looks like exactly what I am looking For. Just hate to drop another 120 I could spend on a few coral for new lights when my old ones still technically work :). May wait it out until they die and replace them with blue as they go.

You know with metal halides you should replace the bulbs after around 12 months.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 157 73.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back