Micro and nano bubble tank treatment

Anthony123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... a ceramic diffuser, but you'd need at least 35psi of air pressure (such as an air compressor) or a scuba tank with a regulator.
After all the reading I have done I figured I would need a small air pump and wood diffuser and was just trying to find out a good brand and size....hahah I do have scuba tanks and an air compressor but I don't think the wife would understand why we need to have it in the living room hah

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all the reading I have done I figured I would need a small air pump and wood diffuser and was just trying to find out a good brand and size....hahah I do have scuba tanks and an air compressor but I don't think the wife would understand why we need to have it in the living room hah

We are working on a solution for this at the moment and maybe package it together so there's no guess work in the delivery method. Thoughts?

Anthony123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are working on a solution for this at the moment and maybe package it together so there's no guess work in the delivery method. Thoughts?
Sounds good to me, I thought there was at least some basic size and brand recommendations at this point. Thanks for your time!

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anthony123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just picked up a pump...just need to find a wood stone!
3ecb32131acbb9600d92cc4cac5fbd1e.jpg

Anthony123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I tried out the new pump, tubing, and wood air stone. I don't think it's working correctly running in my tank. The bubbles are plentiful at the air stone but my small return pump doesn't return them enough. The bubbles that do get by are tiny but not nano I'm afraid. I see a tremendous about of bubbles bursting at the surface in my return area. When I put the stone under my mp10 power head I see the same bursting bubbles at the surface. The salt creep will be another problem at this point.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubbles ARE supposed to pop in the return chamber... only the smallest bubbles make it to the DT... it adds up over time in the DT @Anthony123.

If you want to speed up the very small bubbles making it to the DT, use two wooden diffusers in the Weir Area...

A light fog of very very very very fine bubbles is all you need and want...

Micro to Micro-Nano.png

Anthony123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the replies. I tried again last night and had some success getting the stone placed right next to my return pump. The bubbles are mixed...some bubbles are micro size and others much smaller now. There may be less total bubbles now, although I can't really tell because they are tiny. The pump ran for about 6-7 hours. One thing I noticed right away is that my ph went from 7.8 to 8.2 and then back down to 7.8 this morning. Another thing I noticed is that my clown was breathing quite hard while the pump was on, maybe he was just nervous. I took a video before the lights went out but it is low quality. I will post shortly.

Anthony123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This low quality video is now worse after posting...I'll delete soon lol

Last edited:

Jonmf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, two questions...

1-is there any suspected long term damage to the pump's impeller?
2-is driving these bubbles through reactors (one gfo, the other neozeo) going to be an issue?

Thanks guys.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

I recently started reading up on the methods and results obtained by Cruz Arias on generating micro-nano-bubbles to "deep-clean" and inject new vigour into reef tank systems. I have been trying this method and there have been some interesting results.

Basically the method is very simple, pump air through a wooden airstone,to create micro bubbles and then use the cavitation and head pressure of your return pump to "shrink" these bubbles down to an even smaller (nano) size, where they blow like fog into your DT through the return lines.

Nano-bubbles are typically 1-50 um in diameter,negatively charged and move in a haphazard fashion through the water column for long periods of time through Brownian motion.

The bubbles are said to remove detritus and algae from your rocks, sand and glass, clean up diatoms and cyano, increase the ORP of the water and raise the pH by driving off CO2.
They are also said to penetrate the pores of your corals, removing unwanted mucus, sebum and bacteria.
Oxygen is claimed to be delivered more effectively into the coral, fish and invertebrate membranes.
Fish are also said to have more vigour, display continuous grazing behaviour and show improved colouration!

I have bubbled every night (12 hours) for the last 5 days and have noticed the following:

The first 2 nights of bubbling produced large amounts of mucous from the Acropora, but stopped after that. Corals are displaying increase PE, appear brighter in colour and I've noticed some budding on a few species.

Water is much clearer, sand and rock work are noticeably cleaner!

Water has a fresh ocean smell to it

Fish are very active and graze constantly!

Any other reefers tried this method and achieved noticeable results out there?
I'd be keen to read about your experiences :)

Cheers, Tony
I have tried this for short periods using wooden a s in the tank...now I am doing it the way you suggest...if this works...yippee!...every night, all night...:D

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there be any benefits for a fish only tank?
Yes. It'll carry uneaten food and detritus to your skimmer to be extracted...

It will also increase available oxygen and help clarify your water column.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, two questions...

1-is there any suspected long term damage to the pump's impeller?
2-is driving these bubbles through reactors (one gfo, the other neozeo) going to be an issue?

Thanks guys.
Being that most pumps are magnetically coupled and the impellers are nylon (flexible) there would be no damage over long periods of micro/nanobubble generation.

For GFO and other inline reactors, we place them on a separate loop. However, the bubbles should be so small to where they pass through the reactors without incident.

Jonmf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that most pumps are magnetically coupled and the impellers are nylon (flexible) there would be no damage over long periods of micro/nanobubble generation.

For GFO and other inline reactors, we place them on a separate loop. However, the bubbles should be so small to where they pass through the reactors without incident.

Appreciate it, Cruz

GoBigGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect!
Glad I already pulled the trigger :)

I bought a Tetra Whisper air pump rated for 60 to 100 gallons and hooked up two Lee's 2-Inch Wooden Air Diffuser's and placed them right by the inlet to my return pump and then pointed the return jets downward in the tank. Here's the results:
I'll run it for 10 hours to start
Thoughts?

Yes. It'll carry uneaten food and detritus to your skimmer to be extracted...

It will also increase available oxygen and help clarify your water column.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back