Micro and nano bubble tank treatment

Jonmf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that most pumps are magnetically coupled and the impellers are nylon (flexible) there would be no damage over long periods of micro/nanobubble generation.

For GFO and other inline reactors, we place them on a separate loop. However, the bubbles should be so small to where they pass through the reactors without incident.

OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll run it for 10 hours to start

Looks like it's working well and you're getting a range of bubble sizes :)

IMO, I think 10 hrs is probably too long. I found using the original method (air block in the sump), that 6-8 hrs brought results whereas 4 hrs did not or was not as effective!

GoBigGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'll adjust the timer down to 8 hours, (have it hooked up to my refuge light timer so it runs at night)

Looks like it's working well and you're getting a range of bubble sizes :)

IMO, I think 10 hrs is probably too long. I found using the original method (air block in the sump), that 6-8 hrs brought results whereas 4 hrs did not or was not as effective!

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'll adjust the timer down to 8 hours, (have it hooked up to my refuge light timer so it runs at night)
Try it like this too...

2016-05-17 17.05.48.jpg

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this helps, @Anthony123 All the Bubbles from the Stone do NOT get sucked in by the return pump... only the smallest less buoyant does.
I have been trying to do this in my 10 fusion...because of my ato, there is not a lot of room and when I turn the pump on that way, I barely see any bubbles come out at all...they float to the top of the chamber, bubble away, but not much noticable out the nozzle...I have tried just putting the stone near a power head...not sure if the dynamics would be the same...any suggestions for us nano guys?...Thanks...:confused:

Anthony123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still running the bubble scrubber and have added a second stone. The amount of bubbles I see each day vary and I've had difficulties trying to balance the flow to each stone. The fish have seem to calm down when it's running each night. The pump runs for 6 hours each night but haven't noticed anything different at this time other then the slight increase in ph levels. The back of my AIO return pump chamber is small as well as the pump. I do wish there was more space and a larger pump.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to do this in my 10 fusion...because of my ato, there is not a lot of room and when I turn the pump on that way, I barely see any bubbles come out at all...they float to the top of the chamber, bubble away, but not much noticable out the nozzle...I have tried just putting the stone near a power head...not sure if the dynamics would be the same...any suggestions for us nano guys?...Thanks...:confused:
I think you have a sponge in your intake area.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still running the bubble scrubber and have added a second stone. The amount of bubbles I see each day vary and I've had difficulties trying to balance the flow to each stone. The fish have seem to calm down when it's running each night. The pump runs for 6 hours each night but haven't noticed anything different at this time other then the slight increase in ph levels. The back of my AIO return pump chamber is small as well as the pump. I do wish there was more space and a larger pump.
Do you have a photo of what you're working with?

A picture is worth a thousand words sometimes

OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone still using micro bubbles?
Yes we're still bubbling and many others have also joined on since ;)

Nothing to post on my side because my growth is great and the tank is filling out :)

What I have done extra though, is placed one of my bubble generators in the sump (1st compartment at the inflow), this has been running 24/7 for 2 weeks now and the sump looks like it was scrubbed clean.
Cheers

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nothing to post on my side because my growth is great and the tank is filling out :)

What I have done extra though, is placed one of my bubble generators in the sump (1st compartment at the inflow), this has been running 24/7 for 2 weeks now and the sump looks like it was scrubbed clean.
Cheers
Think that I ran into a problem...my candycane seems to have lost its green polyp because of the bubbling...it seemed to just skin it over about a 1/2 hour of bubbling...haven't done it since...:(

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers

Thanks for the update.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than slightly clearer water I saw no difference. Socks clogged in same amount of time, same pH, corals looked the same. I stopped after one month.

Jmass015

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a big drop for me. I just run a fuge and a little carbon (1cup for 280 system gallons) I've been dosing nopox for about 4 months too. Still had nitrates at the highest the test kit could go. It wasn't until we started the bubbles that I saw a drop in nitrates. Now I can drop the dose of nopox by running an air pump for 8 hours a day :)
Thanks! Good to know.

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started this last night and ran it for about 8hrs. Everything in the tank seems to be doing fine except a decent sized birds of paradise colony(which was the closest to the stream of bubbles) and the tank is now very cloudy today. Almost as if its a bacteria bloom or something. Its now been about 8hrs since I took the bubbles offline and its still just as cloudy as it was this morning.

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to properly execute the method it takes time and slow adjustment. It's not something you will perfect in the first day...maybe not even in a week but when you figure it out you'll know. I found in my tank it was very important to have a very powerful flow across fresh air in order to shear the bubbles. I do not use an air stone at all. I use an air injected 392 gph powerhead situated between the baffle walls of my sump. This serves for two purposes, one to have a place where I could contain such a large amount of flow and secondly to encourage any large bubbles to rise to the surface and pop. The more chance they hit the surface the better chance that what makes it to the return is an actual micro bubble. In order to achieve the proper air flow I have an air pump that I use to actually sort of "supercharge" the air that goes into the powerhead. I've been able to cut back the amount of time I do it as I feel it has helped to clean up the tank and straighten out some chemistry issues that were present. Either way, I don't think it's possible that, if executed properly this would pose any real harm to an aquarium. When you execute this procedure you should understand that flow in the tank is also vital. It will help remove the waste. Good luck...

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers

Wow! Great to know!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.5%
Back