Micro and nano bubble tank treatment

711reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have jumped on to the bubble wagon. this may have been addressed already but I noticed an increase in calcium and alk after 2 days of scrubbing. I am starting off slow 2 hours a day and going to slowly ramp it up. I check my ca and alk every 2 to 3 days. I have not added any 2 part to my system since I started scrubbing. prior to scrubbing my ca was at 450 and alk was at 7.9. today I check my params and ca is 510 and alk is 8.5. is it normal for ca and alk to rise while scrubbing ? I also noticed my nitrates are up a bit to but I hear this is normal.

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm fighting dino now so it was a nice time to check something that I wanted to see. I've attached a chart, let me know what do you think about.

Result: Bubbling at night after a regular lighting day is not affecting (removing) night pH drop. But during total blackout in the tank pH is affected every time bubbles are on.

Bubbling.jpg

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is because the tank was covered and in that case aeration helped more. But what I can't understand so why it's not helping when the tank is open. Maybe the drop is so strong that bubbles can't handle the drop.
I will add a more powerful pump 3.9 PSI this week and see if it will work better. Maybe the pump is not strong enough and more air will push that drop back. :)

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is because the tank was covered and in that case aeration helped more. But what I can't understand so why it's not helping when the tank is open. Maybe the drop is so strong that bubbles can't handle the drop.
I will add a more powerful pump 3.9 PSI this week and see if it will work better. Maybe the pump is not strong enough and more air will push that drop back. :)
Very similar to osmosis... sometimes it takes additional osmotic pressure to degas or of course, longer duration.

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading all these thread but wanted to ask this, How does everyone keep their return pump from going crazy from the bubbles? mine goes nuts to the point I had to stop. I started again but have the airstone near a powerhead. Is that going to work or should I figure out how to make the return pump work. The return pump is a waveline DC pump.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading all these thread but wanted to ask this, How does everyone keep their return pump from going crazy from the bubbles? mine goes nuts to the point I had to stop. I started again but have the airstone near a powerhead. Is that going to work or should I figure out how to make the return pump work. The return pump is a waveline DC pump.

Move the air stone further away from the return pump intake.

We place ours in the weir section before the return pump chamber.

Also, use an air line valve to control air volume.

2016-11-15 06.27.36.jpg

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll also notice smaller bubbles being generated. Post a video if you can. :)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to create nano bubbles, try putting a gyre at the surface of the water, and be amazed. I tried it and wow, bubbles to the max.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to create nano bubbles, try putting a gyre at the surface of the water, and be amazed. I tried it and wow, bubbles to the max.
Yes, but not controlled. :) If you have great indoor air quality, it'll work, but you'd get a lot of large bubbles. Not what we're attempting to do here.

Micro-nano bubbles are what we are looking to generate. :)

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Oxydator will not do the same work?
Raising oxygen levels is not just the only benefit...
There is a lot more to detritus removal using micro-nanobubbles (floatation separation) that Oxydator does not create.
Yes, they increase O2 levels and increase pH (based on Alkalinity Levels), however the physical attribute of desliming and water clarification is not captured by their method.

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could use the sump but my waveline pump has Anti run dry protection which happens when bubble enter the pump. I can put it near a Tunze Stream and get a nice push of bubbles across the tank. The air pump is not near a window as I do not have on close, its on top of a cabinet by the tank.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could use the sump but my waveline pump has Anti run dry protection which happens when bubble enter the pump. I can put it near a Tunze Stream and get a nice push of bubbles across the tank. The air pump is not near a window as I do not have on close, its on top of a cabinet by the tank.
If your pump is taking on too much air, the wooden diffuser to too close to the return pump intake.

Also, utilize an air line valve to control the amount of air delivered to the air stone.

2016-11-15 06.27.36.jpg

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We place ours in the weir section prior to the return pump chamber.

2016-11-15 06.27.20.jpg

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubbles should be very fine and not entrain in the pump at all... if it's sucking in too many bubbles, move the wooden air diffuser further away from the intake of the return pump.

Or, place it on the opposite side of the return pump intake and dial back the air volume by using an air line valve.

2016-12-24 13.01.58.png

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want a light mist/smoke... not a jacuzzi... a little over hours is better for the system. :)

If you have pictures please post them so I can see what adjustments need to be made or can be modified. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back