Microscrubbing... I'm Ready to Try It!!!

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
42 hours of skimming
20161029_155050.jpg

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks, it's been a little less than 48 hours since I've been bubbling non stop. the results so far are exactly what I was hoping for. I was a bit skeptical at first, but I gotta admit, this is pretty amazing. first was water clarity. Better than using rox .8 GAC. Second, improved polyp extension. It's more apparent on my euphyllia more than anything. Third, reduced nitrates. This one was the most shocking. I test my water every weekend with Salifert kits. Last week I had a reading of 35-40 nitrates.
screenshot_2016-10-04-11-40-32-png.405083

My tank had been holding fairly steady there and things looked good so I didn't sweat it.

TODAY, they look to be about 6!!!!!!!!!!! 6??? No way! I re-tested. Yup, 6.
14826178_10155424579235031_2122472933_n.jpg

14875027_10155424579480031_921223147_n.jpg

I almost forgot to mention how much my skimmer is pulling. I was thinking that my skimmer was too big for my tank bc the skimmate production has never been fantastic. Til now.

Looking forward to see what else will happen. I'm still shocked. 42 hours...

Thank you for this feedback. Going to start ordering

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@john.m.cole3

Which one fits airline tubing? The 1/4" hose barb would be too big right?

Thanks!

Hello Again, I have ordered everything except the needle valve. Could someone let me know which valve fits airline tubing? Would like to give it a shot ;)

Thanks!

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Again, I have ordered everything except the needle valve. Could someone let me know which valve fits airline tubing? Would like to give it a shot ;)

Thanks!
Sorry I didn't respond earlier. The 1/4" barb fitting fits airline tubing. It's tight! Soak the airline tubing in super hot water and it will become more pliable. It probably took me a half hour tom make it fit.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a couple of 8x8x4 marinepure plates. Those things are the most effective and inexpensive ways to remove nitrates and keep them near zero!
I have a 90 gallon tank down at my parents place I go down and see once week or when I can. I just tested the nitrates Friday afternoon and they were zero!
I have 3 of them in there and a bunch of their bio-balls type and they are incredible!

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't respond earlier. The 1/4" barb fitting fits airline tubing. It's tight! Soak the airline tubing in super hot water and it will become more pliable. It probably took me a half hour tom make it fit.

Thanks John!

I'll try to post up some "before" pics of some grungy spots on my substrate I'm hoping this will clear up ;)

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a couple of 8x8x4 marinepure plates. Those things are the most effective and inexpensive ways to remove nitrates and keep them near zero!
I have a 90 gallon tank down at my parents place I go down and see once week or when I can. I just tested the nitrates Friday afternoon and they were zero!
I have 3 of them in there and a bunch of their bio-balls type and they are incredible!
I had the brick and the balls in the middle chamber of my sump and still had the nitrate issue. In the past week I've removed 25 pounds of live rock, turned the brick horizontally with the balls on top. and started microscrubbing. I am thinking the scrubbing did it bc my skimmer has performed incredibly and the water is much clearer. I could be wrong, but I'm happy with the results. I plan on running my microscrubbing setup from here on out. No negatives so far. I will definitely report back if there are any. I'm just a reef enthusiast and have nothing to gain other than helping others. I like to help, it makes me feel good when I do.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the luft pump and air stones ordered. Already have the tubing. For the needle valve can a gang valve be used instead? I have one leftover from my freshwater days. It can control airflow, probably not as good though.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the luft pump and air stones ordered. Already have the tubing. For the needle valve can a gang valve be used instead? I have one leftover from my freshwater days. It can control airflow, probably not as good though.
I would try that before buying something else. Start with the valve closed all the way and your luft pump at about 30-40% flow. Then, slowly open up your valve. You should have a display flooded with tiny bubbles that sink and swirl around your tank.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try that before buying something else. Start with the valve closed all the way and your luft pump at about 30-40% flow. Then, slowly open up your valve. You should have a display flooded with tiny bubbles that sink and swirl around your tank.

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully everything will be here sat and I can have it setup before the weekend is over

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back