Mindstream Aquarium Monitor

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300K on the kick-starter is a pretty lofty goal... I don't foresee 600+ hobbyists willing to pledge $500 for the time being with so many unknowns.

Neptune should buy the IP for 200K after the clock expires. :D

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is in their plan, but making and releasing a half dozen for outside experts to evaluate should, IMO, be done before soliciting money for the company. It would eliminate one of the two main concerns (hopefully) and that is how well it works. After that, it is only cost.

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw Beta testing opportunities somewhere on their website. I let them know I would love to beta test the product...who knows, maybe they are getting some units out to beta testers.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leery of kickstarter programs. I got a great product that I loved (a router that gives you a ton of monitoring features) and they turned around and sold the company and the buyer shut it down.

This is too expensive for me. I don't spend $100/yr in testing kits.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find any info comparing their test results to other testing methods. Have they presented a simple side by side comparison?

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300K on the kick-starter is a pretty lofty goal... I don't foresee 600+ hobbyists willing to pledge $500 for the time being with so many unknowns.

Neptune should buy the IP for 200K after the clock expires. :D

I do have to agree, reaching 300k kickstarter is pretty high, with MACNA coming up and them being there this might actually be possible.

I saw Beta testing opportunities somewhere on their website. I let them know I would love to beta test the product...who knows, maybe they are getting some units out to beta testers.

I have a feeling the kickstarter is the beta

Here ya go, beta tester:

Pledge $1,000 or more
3 backers Limited (22 left of 25)

U.S. BETA TESTER.
Get your hands on a pre-production beta unit, help us with final testing, and share your feedback on the MindStream monitor. Includes a monitor/disc, 3 months of replacement sensor discs, and a MindStream polo shirt. We'll ship you an upgraded monitor if meaningful changes are made before launch. Requires meeting SAI participation criteria and nondisclosure agreement.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also don't like the idea of them asking all this money to test what is the guarantee that we are not getting scammed or get our money back ? (Just a question)

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there you have it. You have to pay to be a beta tester, interesting.

alpineroush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think they would be able the to get a loan from a bank to cover this amount instead of kickstarting.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Reefbuilders article explained their financing in some detail and it appears that they are not relying on the KS for the bulk of their financial needs:

Unlike so many other moonshot aquarium and reef tank Kickstarters, the MindStream is not dependent on this Kickstarter to bring this device to market. Step Ahead Innovations has been structuring itself like a”real” company with plenty of venture capital funding, and a nearly 18 month long development period to get the MindStream to the point where it is finally ready for public testing.

Instead, parent company Step Ahead Innovations is using the crowdfunding platform to test the consumer demand and response to the MindStream, and to create a limited release to generate a large user base to test their business model. In the final push of getting the MindStream to market they will be finalizing the design of the product, continuing their internal testing of the device, designing product packaging etc. and most importantly, keeping up with expensive patent filings.

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/27/mindstream-aquarium-monitor-live-kickstarter/#ixzz3hCotxM9E

I'm excited about the prospects and signed on to be a beta tester. If they reach the $300k fundraising goal, they should be able to bring it to market and sustain the company by virtue of the units they sell through KS. If not, I'm not out of pocket. There are two primary considerations for me: 1. it needs to work well for all parameters, not just pH and 2. the replacement disks need to be available long term. The secondary consideration is the cost of the disks. To be successful, they will have to price them appropriately. I'm cool with that.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead, parent company Step Ahead Innovations is using the crowdfunding platform to test the consumer demand and response to the MindStream, and to create a limited release to generate a large user base to test their business model.
And that's all good and fine, but how are they going to beta test when the KS goal is not met?
Sounds like that'll either be a production delay for beta testing at a latter date, else beta testing might be skipped?

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And that's all good and fine, but how are they going to beta test when the KS goal is not met?
Sounds like that'll either be a production delay for beta testing at a latter date, else beta testing might be skipped?
They won't beta test with me if its not met! The fallback will likely be to either rely on "independent" testing to show functionality or to send beta samples to well respected members of the community and hope they get well reviewed.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I don't believe that they need Beta testing. I think that it is instead a smart marketing idea that happens to coincide well as a Kickstarter reward.

I believe that Step Ahead Innovations already know that their unit works and that they want some more hype/word spreading just prior to release. I'm sure they've tested the heck out of their unit. I can't imagine they would use Beta Testers just a few months prior to expected release.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be honest, I don't believe that they need Beta testing. I think that it is instead a smart marketing idea that happens to coincide well as a Kickstarter reward.

I believe that Step Ahead Innovations already know that their unit works and that they want some more hype/word spreading just prior to release. I'm sure they've tested the heck out of their unit. I can't imagine they would use Beta Testers just a few months prior to expected release.

That certainly makes sense! The risk is that they don't meet the KS goal and the community views it as a failed product. MACNA will be an important test for them.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hopefully they will run side by side tests with other test kits or better instruments. That would be a good start. Even then, many of us will wait for you and other trusted scientists to run it through its paces before we become believers.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back