Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NicksMixedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring a big syringe and when they aren't looking zap 100 ml of water! Lol jk I don't recommend doing that

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, people at MACNA won't likely be able to tell if it is accurate.

Well, you can take a water sample out one of their DT which shows the Mindstream and walk over to Redsea or Hanna or for that matter any other testing vendor out there to do a second opinion....... :p

HAHAHA........... I didn't read the post after Randy's, well I think most smart hobbyist think alike.

Paul Carpenter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully they will run side by side tests with other test kits or better instruments. That would be a good start. Even then, many of us will wait for you and other trusted scientists to run it through its paces before we become believers.
Agree. I'll wait until about December to pick one up, assuming it gets good reviews. Am looking forward to seeing it at MACNA. Youtube has a nice promo video if you haven't seen it. Looks to be fully functional to me.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check out the new reef builders article on it. Jake Adams visited the company and came away very impressed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I bet someone will talk them into a water sample to cross check.

Need a big one, right? It has to soak the whole device in it.
Well, you can take a water sample out one of their DT which shows the Mindstream and walk over to Redsea or Hanna or for that matter any other testing vendor out there to do a second opinion....... :p

HAHAHA........... I didn't read the post after Randy's, well I think most smart hobbyist think alike.

And if they disagree, you're left not knowing which was accurate. Even if they agree, they might both be wrong. :D

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone confirmed whether Beta Testers will get a years worth of discs? I've asked then on Kickstarter and Facebook, but have not gotten a response even though Facebook noted that they saw my message.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone confirmed whether Beta Testers will get a years worth of discs? I've asked then on Kickstarter and Facebook, but have not gotten a response even though Facebook noted that they saw my message.
Only 3 months of replacement disks come with the beta tester pledge.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 3 months of replacement disks come with the beta tester pledge.
Did you asked them that or is that assumed from their Kickstarter page? I'm not trying to be a butt, just want to confirm. I think I would switch my pledge to December (And not doing Beta Testing) if that's the case. Paying a grand just to Beta test it instead of a year's supply of discs just isn't worth it, me thinks...

NicksMixedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do t think I'm going to back this unfortunately, the price is sure too much for me personally. I can't justify 600 a year in testing the tank, plus almost a grand for the unit itself.

Salifert and Hanna will be my friends for years to come unless the price drops lol

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its on the kickstarter page in the pledge description
I read it but was hoping it was assumed given the same cost to get the years worth of discs. That and as Testers we're supposedly helping them out as well. Oh well.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was hoping the same. I guess they assume there is a value to being first. So far, at least 7 people agree! I think I'll stay at this level. I'm pretty excited about the technology.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I was just about to post that. It looks like ALK is measured by pH and CO2
It is, which is a bit disappointing considering the unit already measures salinity and temp as well.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is, which is a bit disappointing considering the unit already measures salinity and temp as well.

What is disappointing about it? I wouldn't care how they come up with alkalinity so long as it is accurate.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that's my point, from what I understand what Randy said it would be best to use all four parameters instead of two.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is how much the values from a perfect measurement of pH and CO2 to get alk deviate from reality based on the range of salinity and temperature that reefers encounter. I've not run the calculations to know.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 47 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back