Mobius is junk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of which supports there is, or is not, a problem or it is garbage. Just two different experiences...
...I see more of the negative posts being the foundation of fact without confirmation.

Sure - that can be said about any experience with just about anything, but when the predominant feedback mostly is aligned, a pattern emerges and that tends to justify the opinion.

In this case, opinion aside. These devices clearly exhibit some issues that are significant deviations from advertised and/or nominally expected performance.

I have two MP10s - A Parent and a child - and I can tell you they don't run the programs sent to them by the Mobius app. I have no idea what they are doing, but it is not what they were told to do. I am partly pleased and partly displeased, but displeased enough that I would not buy into their ecosystem. That said, if I knew that the primary dashboard for GHL was create last century, I would not have likely invested in it either!

Information sharing and opinion is good... conflating fact and opinion are not good.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure - that can be said about any experience with just about anything, but when the predominant feedback mostly is aligned, a pattern emerges and that tends to justify the opinion.

Let me preference this by clearing the air that I'm not arguing with you. Just chatting.

Yes, it can be said. The crux of the problem though is that can either of us say the feedback is predominantly negative or aligned? I know I do not have data to back up that sort of claim. How many people are posting on forums? Which ones? Who is more likely to post on a forum? The user with good experiences or those with bad?

Gets back to my soap box of two hobbyist using the same piece of equipment with two different experiences. What are we supposed to do here?

I have two MP10s - A Parent and a child - and I can tell you they don't run the programs sent to them by the Mobius app. I have no idea what they are doing, but it is not what they were told to do. I am partly pleased and partly displeased, but displeased enough that I would not buy into their ecosystem. That said, if I knew that the primary dashboard for GHL was create last century, I would not have likely invested in it either!

I've read through a few of your posts on the GHL sub forum.

Information sharing and opinion is good... conflating fact and opinion are not good.

Fully agree with the first part. The conflating fact and option not sure but it may be me. To me it seems to be more interpretation rather than evidence or acknowledgement by vendor in many posts across the web these days.

Over generalization maybe on my part.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me preference this by clearing the air that I'm not arguing with you. Just chatting.

Yes, it can be said. The crux of the problem though is that can either of us say the feedback is predominantly negative or aligned? I know I do not have data to back up that sort of claim. How many people are posting on forums? Which ones? Who is more likely to post on a forum? The user with good experiences or those with bad?

Gets back to my soap box of two hobbyist using the same piece of equipment with two different experiences. What are we supposed to do here?

I've read through a few of your posts on the GHL sub forum.

Fully agree with the first part. The conflating fact and option not sure but it may be me. To me it seems to be more interpretation rather than evidence or acknowledgement by vendor in many posts across the web these days.

Over generalization maybe on my part.
Do you own radions running on mobius ?

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that questions the mobius junk bug. Here is what it does. I just got home and bingo we are now in the future not the pass like before lol. 2065 here we go lol.
D474F045-D041-4F74-AB41-65FF430166B9.png

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you own radions running on mobius ?

No, I do not. As I noted above I hear your comment about the issue. I did not say you are not experiencing it. On the other hand I have been critical about calling it an actual bug or problem when the vendor hasn't said otherwise. That is what Bean and I are chatting about. When hobbyist A reports a problem, hobbyist B reports the opposite. Hobbyist A's complaint becomes the fact that there is a problem. Hobbyist B becomes a fanboy.

Ecotech has acknowledged issues in the past so I have no idea what is going on. Vectra L1 and Radion G5 issues come to mind whereas they redesigned, warrantied, replaced, and acknowledged.

I do have a pair of Orbit Gyres that I was testing but I don't use Mobius with them. I installed the MXM module so I can control via the Apex. I don't think the way I use it would allow me to see what you are.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that questions the mobius junk bug. Here is what it does. I just got home and bingo we are now in the future not the pass like before lol. 2065 here we go lol.
D474F045-D041-4F74-AB41-65FF430166B9.png

Out of curiosity are you running a VPN at home?

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity are you running a VPN at home?
No i do not but why would vpn matter if the app does not work through wifi only through Bluetooth. Brotha does not matter how you sugar coat it or say that you can’t call it a bug when in fact there’s issues with mobius. Some people won’t report openly like me. Also some people get attached to a product and swear by it to the point they defend it till the end no matter how bad the product is. Ok guilty of this when I bought the pacific sun Hyperion led hybrid unit years and years ago. No matter how crappy the software was or how horrible the led spectrum was I defended that thing to the end. It was my first high end led fixture lol.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about architecture...

But it sounds like programming is pushed to the fixture when mobius is connected. The fixture's clock is glitching (be it the clock itself or a code bug in the firmware). The only way that The classic and MXM fix this is if the fixture constantly polls the classic (via mxm?) for the system time and updates it as such. I doubt that....

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know either. But that seems like the logical path. If they've explored that option (there's no reason to think they haven't), I'd guess that they ran into more issues with corrupted data being transmitted making things even worse...or constantly polling creates a lot of traffic that bogs down the processor from doing their primary duties?? Huh... whatever it is, it has the the full support of the Neptune and Ecotech engineers, and it's baffling them.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know either. But that seems like the logical path. If they've explored that option (there's no reason to think they haven't), I'd guess that they ran into more issues with corrupted data being transmitted making things even worse...or constantly polling creates a lot of traffic that bogs down the processor from doing their primary duties?? Huh... whatever it is, it has the the full support of the Neptune and Ecotech engineers, and it's baffling them.
I am guessing not a much hand wringing is going about this as you would hope. It feels to me like these entities have been stripped down to the core and are somewhat on autopilot, with a focus on RMR and keeping costs down.

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 6 Radions and 6 vortechs on my 310g and got rid of them all because of the app dependency. I too had the date issues along with some other app glitches. I used to love the simplicity of halides and dumb powerheads. I switched to Kessil A500x for my lights because they can be used with 2 adjustment knobs. intensity and spectrum. Use them along with a good quality electrical timer and it all works rock solid and is simple. I want fish keeping to be a hobby not a job in frustration.

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
If these manufacturers were smart they would scrap all the Bluetooth BS and go back to having a hardwired control point and make it so it is either controlled via a timer and knob or thru a wire(0-10v or 0-20ma) from any controller or potentiometer out there.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these manufacturers were smart they would scrap all the Bluetooth BS and go back to having a hardwired control point and make it so it is either controlled via a timer and knob or thru a wire(0-10v or 0-20ma) from any controller or potentiometer out there.
Not going to happen... as bad as the architecture is, and the step backward it is, it is simple. They don't have to mess with peoples wifi, routers, etc. They made the decision to remove themselves from the setup/support nightmare that home networks are. In doing so, they had to make major compromises, but the result is half smart devices that DONT NEEED a controller, just an app... but will kind of work with a controller by making the controller an extension of mobius.

Like I said, I knew very little about their products.. but assume the controller sends msgs through a "mobius formatter" and then BT sends that to the device.

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
Not going to happen... as bad as the architecture is, and the step backward it is, it is simple. They don't have to mess with peoples wifi, routers, etc. They made the decision to remove themselves from the setup/support nightmare that home networks are. In doing so, they had to make major compromises, but the result is half smart devices that DONT NEEED a controller, just an app... but will kind of work with a controller by making the controller an extension of mobius.

Like I said, I knew very little about their products.. but assume the controller sends msgs through a "mobius formatter" and then BT sends that to the device.
We need companies like rapid led to come back. They actually started to early in the led game

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need companies like rapid led to come back. They actually started to early in the led game
Nobody in their right mind would enter this market with an expensive product that has significant design and manufacturing costs.

There is no way to stay in business, the market is tiny, the competition is large and it is impossible to compete with Chinese knock-offs or direct competitors.

Have a look at Bubble King - notice they have no RD3 pumps, but do have China made pumps?
Notice GHLs latest products are not made by GHL, but just China rebrands?
I don't wish bad times on anyone, but I don't see Bertram staying in this long term, at least the hardware side of things, and these manufacturers can't stand on their own.

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
I'm setting up a new Tank and will be most likely using modified a8 China fixtures on it. For the cost of fixture and about 60$ dollars and two hours time will have two lights that are 100% controlled via reefpi and will have more adjustability and probably higher par then the name brand China black box known as ecotech lol. Swapping a few diodes a new 0-10v meanwhile driver and 7 pots to control channels bingo xr25 radicals made

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back