Moonshiners method feedback

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed about 80-100 frags of acros before finally finding success.

Between AEFW, and all the challenges - have bought strictly 1 SPS and dipped and everything, for it to always die within a week. This was over multiple tanks.

Tried moonshiners (started dosing it first, THEN added acropora after on my nth attempt) - currently have a 90% success rate.

I think having adequate trace elements allows the corals to be more resilient in our trace element depleted boxes. For example - alk swing here and there - no issues - buys you a lot of time. Before, I’d have a 1.0 alk swing over a week and all my acros would perish almost instantly. That’s all I think it does, which is a very valuable “all it does.”

I want to highlight this point - tanks with CALCIUM REACTORS naturally dose trace elements to their tanks 24/7… the best tanks I’ve seen run on reactors.

People that run moonshine and reactors save on moonshine costs. We should not be ignoring the trace elements being put back into the tank from calcium reactor media.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People that run moonshine and reactors save on moonshine costs. We should not be ignoring the trace elements being put back into the tank from calcium reactor media.

I certainly agree that folks should not ignore various sources, but I’ll make two additional points:

1. CaCO3 reactors only add part of the trace elements needed. It ignores all of the trace elements used in tissues, including corals, algae, etc.

2. Food may be a bigger source of most trace elements than many methods, possibly including reactors. In both cases, however, it is hard to be sure what fraction of the trace elements contained actually make it to corals before some other sink takes them in.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly agree that folks should not ignore various sources, but I’ll make two additional points:

1. CaCO3 reactors only add part of the trace elements needed. It ignores all of the trace elements used in tissues, including corals, algae, etc.

2. Food may be a bigger source of most trace elements than many methods, possibly including reactors. In both cases, however, it is hard to be sure what fraction of the trace elements contained actually make it to corals before some other sink takes them in.
Good points, I did not know that about point 1 and that the reactors ignored the elements used in the tissues. Specially point #2 - a lot of issues do arise from under feeding, or just not feeding frequently.

I am impressed though by what moonshine has done for me, or what I believe it has done for me based on my experience. My ICP tests from a year ago, look very different from the one last month. It has also made me pay closer attention to my water chemistry as whole rather than just the big 3. I’m afraid to get off the shine to test it - but I am willing to set up a similar frag tank (same lighting etc.) and not put traces in it, nor do water changes, and see what happens. Not sure if someone has already attempted this, but would love to side by side pics of something like this.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points, I did not know that about point 1 and that the reactors ignored the elements used in the tissues. Specially point #2 - a lot of issues do arise from under feeding, or just not feeding frequently.

I am impressed though by what moonshine has done for me, or what I believe it has done for me based on my experience. My ICP tests from a year ago, look very different from the one last month. It has also made me pay closer attention to my water chemistry as whole rather than just the big 3. I’m afraid to get off the shine to test it - but I am willing to set up a similar frag tank (same lighting etc.) and not put traces in it, nor do water changes, and see what happens. Not sure if someone has already attempted this, but would love to side by side pics of something like this.

I have nothing against trying to optimize trace elements by icp, assuming sufficient accuracy. My only concern with moonshiners in particular are some of the selected trace elements which I do not believe are useful to supplement.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing against trying to optimize trace elements by icp, assuming sufficient accuracy. My only concern with moonshiners in particular are some of the selected trace elements which I do not believe are useful to supplement.
Ah gotcha - I get what you’re saying. So for example, maybe selenium or chromium for example (just guessing have no idea which ones do and don’t have usefulness).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah gotcha - I get what you’re saying. So for example, maybe selenium or chromium for example (just guessing have no idea which ones do and don’t have usefulness).

I specifically mean barium and rubidium. I’m not actually certain of their whole list, but this two are on my no need to dose list since no known organisms needs them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back