Moonshiners method feedback

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose the 5 or so dailies manually. Only takes a minute or two. The hardest part is remembering to do so. lol
If I miss a day, i just double my dose the following day.
My tank is only 60g and I don't have the space for more dosers. I'd rather use my single 4-pump doser to handle my major elements.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey people. I am going to drudge this one up from the depths. First off it's the best thread on this subject by far. To the people claiming "keep it on track", it's literally on track. LITERALLY. Like Becky, it's literally like on track, DUH!

Moonshiners, I was all for it before I saw the price tag. Ridiculous not going to happen. I don't care if the tank grows gold on Moonshine. In my system I don't need a 200mL bottle for .5 mL daily dosing. There is a contamination factor, shelf life, and so on. If they were to offer smaller bottles then I would be in. The tanks all look great but I have yet to see one under daylights. One guy said sure here is a photo under whites, and his hand is Smurf. Even my crappy half dead corals in my 3 gallon look fabulous under blues. The whiter lights allow you to see the tissue a little easier. So I am skeptical. All my LFS and people I've talked to rave about it, yet none of them are still using it.

So then there is Reef Blueprint. I find their calculator confusing to say the least. It's like someone's personal excel sheet. I was always told if a bum off the street can't figure out your system it's not right. It also doesn't give you much feedback like Shine. Shine leaves NOTHING to the imagination. I emailed the owner of Reef Blueprint and he asked from my ICP and said he would get back to me. That is wonderful. Great customer service. However, would it not be better if I could make heads or tails of the calculator so I don't have to bother you? The price tag for the bottles I would need come in around $50.

Both the calculators showed the same suggested elements but completely different dosing. Moonshiners want's me to dose a few extras. Moonshiners has you doing correction doses, Reef Blueprint just daily. Moonshiners for my 110 gallons was over $300 and most of those elements I would need 40 years to use the whole bottle. Wasteful and expensive. RB I can by as small as 10mL and all come in a cobalt drop bottle. RMS makes you pay extra for those little bottles.

My copper is through the roof along with tin and iron (Nyos batch is testing positive for iron in the same amount). Well, not through the roof but high enough to make me wonder, sort of. So things like all for reef would only raise those values even higher so this copper would just get higher. So there is an allure to individual elements.

There is this part of me that wants to say screw it and just keep my WC schedule and do the hybrid balling method.

I am the perfect patsy for these companies. I don't read the return policies before I order so I end up paying crooks 30% for nothing, and I want so hard to succeed in reefing that I would consider dropping $300 on a bunch of bottles I will never ever use all of. So I guess what I am asking here, is talk me out of it.

The real questions is, why was I not successful before? I believe I tried to do to much and changed things to often. I vowed not to fall into that again, YET HERE I AM. God almighty what the heck is wrong with me?

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're coming across as a bit harsh, and emotive. Both Moonshiners and Captivate are run by smart people offering quality products. They're doing the best they can to solve the trace dosing issue that we all have, and are not "crooks".

I'm on Moonshiners myself, and it is pretty expensive. As is much of reefing. But you exaggerate the wastefulness of moonshiners - you will use up your bottles and need more in a reasonable amount of time. Months, not "40 years".

Captiv8 (Reef Blueprint) looks very solid as well. And it's nice that they give you a single "cocktail" that you dose, which contains all elements - instead of dosing each element individually like moonshiners.

Whatever you do, don't expect water changes to keep up with trace element demand. If you're targeting natural seawater, and some traces are being consumed, then replacing water with NSW will never catch up.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're coming across as a bit harsh, and emotive. Both Moonshiners and Captivate are run by smart people offering quality products. They're doing the best they can to solve the trace dosing issue that we all have, and are not "crooks".
OH NO!! I wasn't calling them crooks. Um, you would have had to been following my story on my lid. I was making a jab at that. Sorry if that came off wrong.

Of course it wont take 40 years, that's the joke. OI VEY! It's too expensive. For me, right now, considering a company just kept 30% of my return, which was 150 bucks or so.

Got a picture under whites?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the perfect patsy for these companies. I don't read the return policies before I order so I end up paying crooks 30% for nothing, and I want so hard to succeed in reefing that I would consider dropping $300 on a bunch of bottles I will never ever use all of. So I guess what I am asking here, is talk me out of it.

The real questions is, why was I not successful before? I believe I tried to do to much and changed things to often. I vowed not to fall into that again, YET HERE I AM. God almighty what the heck is wrong with me?

You know what you need to know. You either believe their sales pitch and buy in, or don't. Don't go in half-committed.

I think that I have made it very clear that Moonshiners will fade. This is just the next iteration of miracles in a bottle, only with ICP which promised more precision and stuff, but actually offers more questions than answers in reality. There are more great tanks with 2/3 part, calcium reactor and water changes than any of these systems offer so it is not a necessity. Some of the moonshiners tanks look OK, but many are too new to really tell - I don't care until they are more than 5 years old doing the same thing. Other than the money, it does not seem to hurt too much - the worst that happens is that is unnecessary.

Drop back in time and check out the cult following for Kent Marine Essential Elements, Zeo (vitamins and aminos), Coral Vite and their other products - most of these are 20+ years old and nobody talks about them because they just have had more time for people use, stop and then not see any difference. The Kent following was stronger than Moonshiners, or the other current day methods. These products are still being made and are quite cheap. They are probably 95%, or more, of what you can get from more recent supplement companies. You could try DSR if you think that dosing is important (I really do not outside of a CaRx and Iron) - make your own. Dr. RHF has articles on how to make every supplement that you could ever need yourself - you could add one at a time to really see if any of them matter. There are lots of ways to do this.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, ok - sorry. I don't know what "my lid" means, but I now know you weren't calling Moonshiners/Captiv8 crooks.

In any case, take my other points as you will.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what you need to know. You either believe their sales pitch and buy in, or don't. Don't go in half-committed.

I think that I have made it very clear that Moonshiners will fade. This is just the next iteration of miracles in a bottle, only with ICP which promised more precision and stuff, but actually offers more questions than answers in reality. There are more great tanks with 2/3 part, calcium reactor and water changes than any of these systems offer so it is not a necessity. Some of the moonshiners tanks look OK, but many are too new to really tell - I don't care until they are more than 5 years old doing the same thing. Other than the money, it does not seem to hurt too much - the worst that happens is that is unnecessary.

Drop back in time and check out the cult following for Kent Marine Essential Elements, Zeo (vitamins and aminos), Coral Vite and their other products - most of these are 20+ years old and nobody talks about them because they just have had more time for people use, stop and then not see any difference. The Kent following was stronger than Moonshiners, or the other current day methods. These products are still being made and are quite cheap. They are probably 95%, or more, of what you can get from more recent supplement companies. You could try DSR if you think that dosing is important (I really do not outside of a CaRx and Iron) - make your own. Dr. RHF has articles on how to make every supplement that you could ever need yourself - you could add one at a time to really see if any of them matter. There are lots of ways to do this.
What do you think of Tropic Marin's balling method? I would do the hybrid. It's already stuff I use, BRS two part, with $66 buy in of the traces and the part C.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, ok - sorry. I don't know what "my lid" means, but I now know you weren't calling Moonshiners/Captiv8 crooks.

In any case, take my other points as you will.
I bought an aquarium lid before reading the return policy. We keep 30% after 24 hours regardless if we have even contacted you. Yup! Lesson learned. Read those policies.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of Tropic Marin's balling method? I would do the hybrid. It's already stuff I use, BRS two part, with $66 buy in of the traces and the part C.

I have lost most faith in TM with Lou and Hans-Werners posts on here lately where they just seem to throw stuff at the fan and see if it sticks - they will not show you that it does and ask you to prove that it does not. Of course, Balling is something quite different that has been around for a long time. I have never done it. It is very similar to many other methods based in years of success and fine tuning. Once I figured out that just changing some water, running my CaRx and dosing iron grew corals as good, or better, than anybody else, I saw no need to figure anything else out. If I were to do dose stuff, I would probably follow Randy's recipes and look at the formulas from the DSR folks.

For context, I run full spectrum, high intensity lights which are the only thing that FOR SURE gives energy to coral, have enough nitrogen and phosphorous without have high levels of no3 and po4 (waste products), feed my fish a ton (which introduces tons of traces) and have a very mature ecosystem with all kinds of critters and things. Not everybody runs tanks this way.

Don't underestimate the traces in fish food... then how good the the fish waste is for corals.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost most faith in TM with Lou and Hans-Werners posts on here lately where they just seem to throw stuff at the fan and see if it sticks - they will not show you that it does and ask you to prove that it does not. Of course, Balling is something quite different that has been around for a long time. I have never done it. It is very similar to many other methods based in years of success and fine tuning. Once I figured out that just changing some water, running my CaRx and dosing iron grew corals as good, or better, than anybody else, I saw no need to figure anything else out. If I were to do dose stuff, I would probably follow Randy's recipes and look at the formulas from the DSR folks.

For context, I run full spectrum, high intensity lights which are the only thing that FOR SURE gives energy to coral, have enough nitrogen and phosphorous without have high levels of no3 and po4 (waste products), feed my fish a ton (which introduces tons of traces) and have a very mature ecosystem with all kinds of critters and things. Not everybody runs tanks this way.

Don't underestimate the traces in fish food... then how good the the fish waste is for corals.
I have been feeding twice a day. I did the triton icp test this time. My copper came back high. New tank at 8ug/L, iron was also elevated but was identical to tritons batch test on my salt mix which is Nyos. I think they are on a new batch by now. But all the other traces and elements are what would be considered a normal reef.

I just want to be successful this time around. I am so tired of buying expensive corals to watch them slowly die. All these dang tests come back "normal" but everything fails. It's beyond frustrating. So that's why I am a sucker for these snake oil salesmen.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey people. I am going to drudge this one up from the depths. First off it's the best thread on this subject by far. To the people claiming "keep it on track", it's literally on track. LITERALLY. Like Becky, it's literally like on track, DUH!

Moonshiners, I was all for it before I saw the price tag. Ridiculous not going to happen. I don't care if the tank grows gold on Moonshine. In my system I don't need a 200mL bottle for .5 mL daily dosing. There is a contamination factor, shelf life, and so on. If they were to offer smaller bottles then I would be in. The tanks all look great but I have yet to see one under daylights. One guy said sure here is a photo under whites, and his hand is Smurf. Even my crappy half dead corals in my 3 gallon look fabulous under blues. The whiter lights allow you to see the tissue a little easier. So I am skeptical. All my LFS and people I've talked to rave about it, yet none of them are still using it.

So then there is Reef Blueprint. I find their calculator confusing to say the least. It's like someone's personal excel sheet. I was always told if a bum off the street can't figure out your system it's not right. It also doesn't give you much feedback like Shine. Shine leaves NOTHING to the imagination. I emailed the owner of Reef Blueprint and he asked from my ICP and said he would get back to me. That is wonderful. Great customer service. However, would it not be better if I could make heads or tails of the calculator so I don't have to bother you? The price tag for the bottles I would need come in around $50.

Both the calculators showed the same suggested elements but completely different dosing. Moonshiners want's me to dose a few extras. Moonshiners has you doing correction doses, Reef Blueprint just daily. Moonshiners for my 110 gallons was over $300 and most of those elements I would need 40 years to use the whole bottle. Wasteful and expensive. RB I can by as small as 10mL and all come in a cobalt drop bottle. RMS makes you pay extra for those little bottles.

My copper is through the roof along with tin and iron (Nyos batch is testing positive for iron in the same amount). Well, not through the roof but high enough to make me wonder, sort of. So things like all for reef would only raise those values even higher so this copper would just get higher. So there is an allure to individual elements.

There is this part of me that wants to say screw it and just keep my WC schedule and do the hybrid balling method.

I also was skeptical. That was the reason I started the thread. However, since I implemented the program I have seen phenominal growth in ALL my corals. I am having to frag things now that were barely growing prior. The initial cost is slightly more then what I would have spent on salt. I use instant ocean and have a 180g. Figure a bag a month. The 45$ monthly ati icp test was also a bit much. But the tank looks amazing. I set up a doser for my main dailies as well as alk and ca. I chart my test results on a spreadsheet and haven't done a water change since I started. Everything in this hobby is expensive, but few things give you the results. The juice is definately worth the squeeze in my eyes.
Feel free to check out my build thread for videos I have taken to see the growth.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also was skeptical. That was the reason I started the thread. However, since I implemented the program I have seen phenominal growth in ALL my corals. I am having to frag things now that were barely growing prior. The initial cost is slightly more then what I would have spent on salt. I use instant ocean and have a 180g. Figure a bag a month. The 45$ monthly ati icp test was also a bit much. But the tank looks amazing. I set up a doser for my main dailies as well as alk and ca. I chart my test results on a spreadsheet and haven't done a water change since I started. Everything in this hobby is expensive, but few things give you the results. The juice is definately worth the squeeze in my eyes.
I am on their group page. What if I would like to keep doing water changes? Do you see that as causing an issue? The handbook says it doesn't matter either way.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding twice a day. I did the triton icp test this time. My copper came back high. New tank at 8ug/L, iron was also elevated but was identical to tritons batch test on my salt mix which is Nyos. I think they are on a new batch by now. But all the other traces and elements are what would be considered a normal reef.

I just want to be successful this time around. I am so tired of buying expensive corals to watch them slowly die. All these dang tests come back "normal" but everything fails. It's beyond frustrating. So that's why I am a sucker for these snake oil salesmen.

Bet on the rule for a while - do what most of the long-term hobbyists do in every way. You should have good success with this. Once you have success this way, then have fun and fine tune if you want. If you cannot reef otherwise, then a system like this is not going to save you - if it seems that way, it is because of a renewed interest or new knowledge and not the actual system. Sometimes, tanks just mature when doing a method and the method was not the reason at all and the tank would have matured anyway. After all, just like all of the methods before them, you rarely see somebody who quit Moonshiners and really can tell a difference.

If you think that you will enjoy Moonshiners, then go for it. There are worse things that you can do with your money. :)

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the important thing is to temper expectations and look at things from a high level... what RB, MS, Triton, and others are is simply testing using ICP to determine chemistry in the tank and using their own calculators to dose products to adjust chemistry and trace elements to levels they feel supports the growth. Same can be done with all for reef, or any other product that builds trace elements into things. We do the same thing with alkalinty or calcium supplementation to bring values up to what we want to hold them at based on testing... it's the same concept just expanded. Your tests are coming back good it sounds like - i think it may be time to look elsewhere for what the issue is - I was in the exact same situation with not understanding my coral loses and trying to fix things too fast or throw too much at it too quickly...

Remember chemistry is just one part of the tank - there are other biological things at play. Bacteria health, pathogens, pests, lighting, flow and more also contribute. You can't expect to put racecar fuel into an everyday car and have it race against a well tuned machine. Similarly, without the correct fuel an actual racecar isn't going to perform well against other racecars. These things go hand in hand. Correcting one piece of the puzzle doesn't necessarily solve the whole thing.

Tanks that have been stable, are bilogically mature, and are already doing well will likely receive a boost from any method or product that corrects trace elements or provides what the tank needs that is missing - if those trace elements were causing issues or preventing coloring up. If water changes, food, or other supplements being added are meeting the chemistry needs of the tank you likely won't see much improvement because there wasn't much room for improvement - and maybe issues are caused by lighting, flow, pests, or other factors. If someone stops a method and sees no change that's possible too... a healthy tank should stay healthy so long as whatever takes the place of a method or product is meeting the needs of the tank (be it water changes or whatever).

I'm also someone who sees the amazing pictures with beautiful corals and pristine white sand and wonders why mine doesn't look like that and tried to change things too often based off whatever the person claims their key to success is (usually to the detriment of my tank). There's usually more behind those photos like very diligent maintenance, a lot of experience, etc... It's also the reason there are so many methods, brands, viewpoints and experiences on things like high vs low nutrients, high tech vs low tech, etc...

Need to find what works for you and your tank specifically. I know I'm lazy so I take a high tech route and try to automate as much as possible. I'm bad at doing water changes, but pretty diligent about testing. I'm on moonshiners for about 9 months and I've seen both ups and downs - but the downs i'm sure aren't due to chemistry but the other factors mentioned - specifically I believe pests are my current issue. Need to get all the pieces in line to get the ideal picture. If i get rid of my pests I believe my tank should start to take off because I see it trying to and noticeable improvements after pest treatments... i just need to be more diligent/ consistent on the pest treatments.

Overall I'm continuing with MS because it fits my style, makes sense to me, and i've seen improvements with it... not miracles, just improvements. Keeping the chemistry stable with the method lets me focus my attention to the other parts. I could just have easily gone with Triton or RB or others and probably have the same result - MS just happened to be the first one I looked into and it seemed simple enough so i went for it. Customer service has been good and fellow shiners are supportive and helpful (mostly). I can't say for sure it's because of MS, but as long as things are improving i'll keep doing what's working for me. I'm slowly coming to terms that stability is key and MS brings a level of discipline and stability to one part of my tank in a way that works for me.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am on their group page. What if I would like to keep doing water changes? Do you see that as causing an issue? The handbook says it doesn't matter either way.
I do water changes with mine. Similar to @Stang67, I see noticeable growth over 8 months. As for colors? Maybe…but I can’t attribute that to moonshiners over just time and stability.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water changes won't cause an issue. Just keep in mind when you get rid of water you're tossing out some of what's in there (both good and bad) - So it may lower some things and cause you to dose more or may add more if there are any pollutants coming in on the fresh salt.

Think of it like NO3/ PO4 - if values are where i like and I change water they'll lower where i may need to feed heavier or dose to bring back up where i like them. But if they're too high i need to toss them out with the water to bring them down.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't matter either way.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The long and short of it is that there are different strokes for different folks across most hobbies. Ford, Chevy, Husqvarna Viking, Festool, and more. Doesn't matter what it is there are branches that have deep rooted biases and no one is going to change their beliefs. Nor should we.

Onus is on the hobbyist to find a path that works best for them. That and a budget of course. I am not saying you did but it does not good for any of us to bash a solution that Bob or Sally is using. Nor is it right for Bob or Sally to bash others.

Something to consider though is that there are public aquariums that are very, very, large running on Kalkwasser alone. Do a search on Joe Yaiullo for reference. Of course there is also education, background, budget, experience, and more that goes along with it but one can't argue the merits of success along with just using Kalkwasser.

Sometimes, or many times, we hobbyist over complicate things. Or maybe that is the non stop marketing bombardment telling us we need bottle of X, Y, and Z to have amazing corals or this MH light to be successful.

Anything thought that deviates then we are newbs...

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s a daylight shot of my moonshiners tank under halides and ReeFi UNOs.

IMG_1189.jpeg
IMG_1185.jpeg
IMG_1186.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back