OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're clever. I've always removed rock and coral and taken advantage of a re aquascaping opportunity to catch all of my fish. Time isn't your friend generally.

He should be perfectly fine then. If you know where he sleeps (where he burys in the sand each night) you can get a large net and place it over the area. Hold it down over top of him tightly and poke and scrape sand towards the center of the net. Extra emphasis on pressing the net hard against the bottom of the tank or he will push his way out of the rim they're very smart and strong for their size. Sometimes a second set of hands is better used scraping inward towards the net in a radius around where you you think he is sleeping.

I did that! I removed all the rock except the base pieces, but of course he just dives into the sand! I'm going to have to do it all again i'm sure and the rake the sand until i find him. Is that another cycle i hear coming? yup... sure is :(

edit to say: I'm being a butt... and feeling mad and bad for myself. Thanks for letting me get that out and for the help :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that! I removed all the rock except the base pieces, but of course he just dives into the sand! I'm going to have to do it all again i'm sure and the rake the sand until i find him. Is that another cycle i hear coming? yup... sure is :(

edit to say: I'm being a butt... and feeling mad and bad for myself. Thanks for letting me get that out and for the help :)

You shouldn't have a second cycle. Just keep skimming. When the fish are gone feed your tank a little anyway.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have a second cycle. Just keep skimming. When the fish are gone feed your tank a little anyway.

I will with both things. My fear is when i rake the sandbed, which is 3-4 inches depending on where it is, that it will release all kinds of nasties into the water. I guess with the fish out all i really need to worry about is my montis and 1 birdsnest. The rest is basically LPS which would probably enjoy that. Anyway, I'll be working on getting the rest of the fish out tomorrow. I bought the copper and the appropriate test kit for it today and HOPE to have that started by sunday. I'll keep yall posted :) Wish me luck!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will with both things. My fear is when i rake the sandbed, which is 3-4 inches depending on where it is, that it will release all kinds of nasties into the water. I guess with the fish out all i really need to worry about is my montis and 1 birdsnest. The rest is basically LPS which would probably enjoy that. Anyway, I'll be working on getting the rest of the fish out tomorrow. I bought the copper and the appropriate test kit for it today and HOPE to have that started by sunday. I'll keep yall posted :) Wish me luck!

Stirring up a 3-4 inch sandbed shouldn't pose much of a problem. It's a DSB which can nuke your tank if you hit a sulfur pocket. Why I don't do DSBs anymore. :(

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stirring up a 3-4 inch sandbed shouldn't pose much of a problem. It's a DSB which can nuke your tank if you hit a sulfur pocket. Why I don't do DSBs anymore. :(

That makes sense. I keep the sandbed as deep as i do for my wrasse and for the bluespot jawfish i used to have. I guess i'll just have new saltwater available for a water change just in case and I can run a filter sock to catch some of it. That coupled with my oversized skimmer should take care of it. I like a good plan. I think I have a good plan now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I keep the sandbed as deep as i do for my wrasse and for the bluespot jawfish i used to have. I guess i'll just have new saltwater available for a water change just in case and I can run a filter sock to catch some of it. That coupled with my oversized skimmer should take care of it. I like a good plan. I think I have a good plan now.

If the water starts to smell like "rotten egg" sulfur odor, you've got a problem on your hands. ;)

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok guys. I have two more out and just one to go. The coris wrasse is still in there and a B to find! The question here is.... How on earth do you catch a sand-burying wrasse without taking out all the sand? The rock is all out of the tank, its just sand. I've raked the sand with my hands and found nothing. Now I have a filter sock tied to a powerhead in efforts to get the water a little clearer. Any helpful ideas? I'm on a time limit here. My kid comes home in an hour and i have to have this put back together before then or else I'll never get this done! Thanks all.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEVERMIND!! I totally GOT him! YAY! So now all the fish are out... woo hoo! The last piece of suckiness begins as i try to put my tank back together. I'll start the copper tonight

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my copper is coming up slowly and im doing 10 gallon water changes daily. I did 20 today because my ammonia is not being managed very well. It seems to stay at that light green color for "alert". Its freaking me out a little, but im trying not to panic. Everybody is doing pretty well considering. Im having some new aggression from my purple tang on my kole tang. And my helfrichi firefish is hiding under this heater. Hasnt come out all day and is the only one not eating. Any tips for me? I have no way to make more than 10 gallons of water at a time for the moment just fyi.
1443741545817.jpg

Nick's Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually trying to catch the big guy to give him a fresh water dip right now. I totally HAD him!! and he just wiggled out! He needs it bad. he's not eating his nori and i'm about to feed but I bet he wont eat that either. Wish me luck. We really need some prayers.

Hope things are going well for you and your fish. Would love an update on how everyone is doing with your situation. Send pics of how you set things up and how your PT is doing. Sending best wishes to you and your fish.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope things are going well for you and your fish. Would love an update on how everyone is doing with your situation. Send pics of how you set things up and how your PT is doing. Sending best wishes to you and your fish.

I actually did post an update. check right above your post. :) I believe i have pictures on here as well of the QT set up. It's extremely basic. To answer you though, everybody seems to be doing ok. The Purple tang looks healthier than ever and is (all of a sudden) bullying my kole tang. The firefish seems to be stressed out too though and i haven't seen any aggression towards it at all. He's been hiding under the heater all day and hasn't eaten either. Not sure if its my slightly elevated ammonia or the multiple water changes or the copper that he's reacting to.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the ammonia alert badge... you need to put a white light either over it or behind it to get the true reading. It always looks green under ambient light or in the dark.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the ammonia alert badge... you need to put a white light either over it or behind it to get the true reading. It always looks green under ambient light or in the dark.

Well i just did that and it still looks kinda green. Its almost in between the yellow and green. This is after two 10 gallon water changes today. grrrr.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i just did that and it still looks kinda green. Its almost in between the yellow and green. This is after two 10 gallon water changes today. grrrr.

Do you have a working bio filter in the QT? (I forget.) Also, how many fish in how many gallons of QT?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a working bio filter in the QT? (I forget.) Also, how many fish in how many gallons of QT?

I'm using one of those air stone powered sponge things. (its pretty big and said it would filter up to 50 gallons or so) I soaked it in a whole bottle of stability (bacteria in a bottle) before introducing the fish. It's a 40 breeder with 7 fish in it. I'm only feeding minimal nori and removing the clip when it's consumed. I'm feeding rather lightly frozen food then doing my water changes after that to get the left overs. Of course i did two water changes today so one was this morning and the other after i fed this evening.

Nick's Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that post just after I wrote you a message. Sorry about that. Glad most everyone is doing well. I would say get the ammonia down fast and then go from there with regards to your firefish.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that post just after I wrote you a message. Sorry about that. Glad most everyone is doing well. I would say get the ammonia down fast and then go from there with regards to your firefish.

Thanks. I'm trying to get it down. I'm mixing another 10 gallons right now for yet another water change in the morning. I'm hoping i can get this under control. I may have to go buy a brute trash can to make larger batches of water in sooner than i planned.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using one of those air stone powered sponge things. (its pretty big and said it would filter up to 50 gallons or so) I soaked it in a whole bottle of stability (bacteria in a bottle) before introducing the fish. It's a 40 breeder with 7 fish in it. I'm only feeding minimal nori and removing the clip when it's consumed. I'm feeding rather lightly frozen food then doing my water changes after that to get the left overs. Of course i did two water changes today so one was this morning and the other after i fed this evening.

Unfortunately, a "seeded" air driven sponge filter is not going to be anywhere near as efficient (for biological filtration) than if you took that same sponge, cut it to size and put it in a HOB powerfilter. Just more flow passing thru it allows the nitrifying bacteria found therein to do their job more thoroughly. I would say an air driven sponge filter would only be suitable for a 10 gal QT with one or two small fish.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, a "seeded" air driven sponge filter is not going to be anywhere near as efficient (for biological filtration) than if you took that same sponge, cut it to size and put it in a HOB powerfilter. Just more flow passing thru it allows the nitrifying bacteria found therein to do their job more thoroughly. I would say an air driven sponge filter would only be suitable for a 10 gal QT with one or two small fish.

Well rats. kinda thought i had a good thing set up here. The power filter i had originally wouldn't fit on this tank, it was too small. I guess i'll be going to get bigger one. Thanks

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my firefish overnight. i had a bad feeling about that one but i didn't see what else i could do to save him right then. I'll be going to get a better filter to add to this one today and i just hope my other fish can hold out until then. I just did another 10 gallon water change, which didn't change the color on my ammonia badge at all. I'm mixing more up for another change in a couple hours.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back