MP40 Dryside and wetside keep falling off

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this MP40 and it’s twin on my tank for 8 months now. I have always cleaned the wetsides every 2 weeks and the drysides have never been dropped.
I just did a cleaning yesterday (after 2 weeks), and now one of my Pumps will not stay together. I switched the wetsides, and still the same thing.
Anyone else have the same issue?
Any solutions?

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you clean the wet side do you remove the casing attached to the magnet side to get all of the stuff out of that part? I had the same issue and that helped.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you clean the wet side do you remove the casing attached to the magnet side to get all of the stuff out of that part? I had the same issue and that helped.
I thought about that too, but when he had the same problem with another wetside, I ruled out that the problem was with the wetside.... definitely something to consider though....

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm baffled, the only thing I can think of, and I'm sure you checked already, is to ensure that the spacer on the dryside is fully seated.
It is fully seated. I fully clean them because I don’t like issues.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that I can conclude is that the "sticky" surface of the dryside spacer isn't performing like it did at day one, and you've always had the weak coupling but didn't realize it because the dryside stayed in place. What is the thickness of glass and can you change the spacer out for a thinner one? or are you using the thin one already?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old / what version of MP40 do you have?

One potential is rusting/swelling magnet on the wetside.

What do you use to clean? If it's vinegar, stop. Use either muriatic acid (diluted 1 to 10), or citric acid (3/4 - 1 cup made up to one gallon).

CJS80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue trying to swap heads without shutting off pump. All I did was unplug then couple. Not sure this will help if you already had off for cleaning.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that I can conclude is that the "sticky" surface of the dryside spacer isn't performing like it did at day one, and you've always had the weak coupling but didn't realize it because the dryside stayed in place. What is the thickness of glass and can you change the spacer out for a thinner one? or are you using the thin one already?
I have the medium spacer in use. I have always used it. I did switch it out for a brand new thin spacer, but it still falls.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old / what version of MP40 do you have?

One potential is rusting/swelling magnet on the wetside.

What do you use to clean? If it's vinegar, stop. Use either muriatic acid (diluted 1 to 10), or citric acid (3/4 - 1 cup made up to one gallon).
No vinegar. I use RODI and a toothbrush.
The wetside magnet is fine. As stated above, I have changed the wetside out with no luck.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your pumps are 8 months old then they’re still under warranty. Ask ETM what they think. If the problem does not ‘follow’ one of the wetsides then the issue would seem to be with the one dry side.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your pumps are 8 months old then they’re still under warranty. Ask ETM what they think. If the problem does not ‘follow’ one of the wetsides then the issue would seem to be with the one dry side.
That’s the issue. The pumps are over a year old because I did not use them for a while.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that s a bummer. I’d still contact ETM though.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get this solved? I have 1/2” glass, and my two MP40s decouple weekly, causing the wet sides to fall to the bottom glass. I can tell that they are not swollen because they stay auctioned to the side glass as they fall, and even after they hit the bottom glass. However, I can’t get them to stay coupled. They run on Reefcrest, on the left and right lanes of glass, facing each other, at a maximum of 75%. I’m also using the thinnest spacer that came with them.

I’m on vacation, and I looked at the camera that is pointed toward the tank, and both have fallen off. I shut them off via my Apex, and I have a friend going over this week to re-couple them.

It’s disheartening to spend a lot of money on the pumps to have them consistently fail. Honestly, it’s making me consider replacing them with something else.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything gets caught in them, in the little vents for the magnet and binds the magnet up the whole wet side spins and falls off the glass.

Can’t comment on the op for them not sticking together at all.

If you have black Hawaiian and drop a head. You will need to pull it apart and clean the magnetic particles out. Every time it hits the substrate.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up switching to Wav pumps- I haven’t had problems since.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up switching to Wav pumps- I haven’t had problems since.
I’ve been thinking about doing the same. Unfortunately, I’ve read many negative stories about their reliability. Have you ran into anything that causes you concern?

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been thinking about doing the same. Unfortunately, I’ve read many negative stories about their reliability. Have you ran into anything that causes you concern?
I bought 3 used, and 2 new. I had a problem with one of the used ones- it was a bit loud. I emailed their support and they had me send it in- it cost $10 (postage) and they let me know that there was a problem with the motor- I got a new one back 4 days after shipping out the bad one- for no charge. Amazing service!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back