MP40 Dryside and wetside keep falling off

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D6B803C-9DA0-4154-8CC8-72CA9EDF3C44.png

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, and you might have already mentioned this but I didn't read all post.

I had this happen before and it was due to a snail getting on it causing it to fall off...something to think about if it isn't happening immediately after you put it on.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, and you might have already mentioned this but I didn't read all post.

I had this happen before and it was due to a snail getting on it causing it to fall off...something to think about if it isn't happening immediately after you put it on.
I had mine happen over and over, I cleaned it, soaked in vinegar, and completely took it apart.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine happen over and over, I cleaned it, soaked in vinegar, and completely took it apart.
This has been my experience as well. I’ve cleaned them and taken them apart, and I didn’t find any issues that should cause them to consistently decouple.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been going through this for months now. I bought new wet sides thinking it might be that. That didn't work. I sent the MP40 into Ecotech and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I'm thinking about changing. I don't use an Apex (Profilux) so I'm not sure what to switch to.

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try removing the spacer.

Keep an eye out for snails as they will cause it too.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try removing the spacer.

Keep an eye out for snails as they will cause it too.

I don’t doubt now and again a snail will get in there but it seems every morning I come in and the pump is completely detached both sides so I assume it’s something in my schedule causing it like a speed change?
So do you mean remove the spacer entirely? Just stick the dry side onto the glass without the extra plastic disc of either thickness?
For info I have mine on the back of a Reefer 425XL if that thickness is causing problems?

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that there is a (split) second in a program combination that results in an unstable magnet behavior (like stopping the magnet for a split second or something) and that is causing the wet side and dryside to decouple. Could be that only some people use the programming and power combination that results in the behavior. If one could monitor motor input and document exactly when they decouple that would answer the question. That sounds like an ecotech challenge to me.

Mine does it a few times a week. Pain in the rear.
1/2" thick glass. I am going to clean glass, and both sides, and override programming to just run constant speed for a few days, see if it still happens.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having this issue as well on 3/8" glass. it happens when the Vortech goes from feed mode back to full power. the wet side stays in place but I have to turn off the dry side and recouple it. Anyone find a solution??

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent 18 months going back and forth with ETM regarding my two MP40 pumps exhibiting the same problems discussed above. In the end they ended up replacing both pumps to solve the problem. Since my pumps we're out of warranty I thank ETM immensely for replacing them however in the end it cost me dearly. Although they never made an issue of them being out of warranty, they did make the return process very difficult. Again, I had to go back and forth with them for 18 months. During this process they had me return the pumps 3 separate times and had me go through the same troubleshooting steps over and over again each time their suggestion or repair did not work. I can't even count how many times they asked me to disassemble the west side and send in pictures. I started to think they were hoping I would give up and walk away. In hindsight I probably should have but I wanted to stick it out see how it would turn out. Now at least I can pass along my experiences to you guys.

The symptoms I encountered were similar to those discussed above in that they would decouple from the glass often when they went into feed mode. That's at least when I was fortunate enough to be present when it happened. I'd hear a really loud clicking noise and then all the sudden the pump would fall off. It was very scary seeing the dry side bounce around on the outside of my glass hanging by the cord, so I feel the pain of the gentleman above who said he was on vacation when this happened.

It's also worth noting that their software can cause this issue, as opposed to just a hardware issues. So make sure you have the most up-to-date software.

For example when they eventually decided to replace one of my dry sides, they returned my pump to me with a new dry side and the original controller, but it had the same problem. It kept falling off the glass and they told me to update the software to fix it. It was clear they never tested it before shipping it back to me. It also would have been helpful if they would have let me know I needed to update the software to prevent me from banging my head trying to figure it out and then having to submit yet another follow-up ticket.

As an electrical engineer who develops products similar to this for a living and someone who highly respected ETM, I have to admit I was disappointed with how they handled this entire process. This was honestly the most frustrating return process I've ever been through which unfortunately outweighed the fact that they replaced the pumps outside of the warranty.

Hopefully this helps you guys navigate through these issues you're having.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent 18 months going back and forth with ETM regarding my two MP40 pumps exhibiting the same problems discussed above. In the end they ended up replacing both pumps to solve the problem. Since my pumps we're out of warranty I thank ETM immensely for replacing them however in the end it cost me dearly. Although they never made an issue of them being out of warranty, they did make the return process very difficult. Again, I had to go back and forth with them for 18 months. During this process they had me return the pumps 3 separate times and had me go through the same troubleshooting steps over and over again each time their suggestion or repair did not work. I can't even count how many times they asked me to disassemble the west side and send in pictures. I started to think they were hoping I would give up and walk away. In hindsight I probably should have but I wanted to stick it out see how it would turn out. Now at least I can pass along my experiences to you guys.

The symptoms I encountered were similar to those discussed above in that they would decouple from the glass often when they went into feed mode. That's at least when I was fortunate enough to be present when it happened. I'd hear a really loud clicking noise and then all the sudden the pump would fall off. It was very scary seeing the dry side bounce around on the outside of my glass hanging by the cord, so I feel the pain of the gentleman above who said he was on vacation when this happened.

It's also worth noting that their software can cause this issue, as opposed to just a hardware issues. So make sure you have the most up-to-date software.

For example when they eventually decided to replace one of my dry sides, they returned my pump to me with a new dry side and the original controller, but it had the same problem. It kept falling off the glass and they told me to update the software to fix it. It was clear they never tested it before shipping it back to me. It also would have been helpful if they would have let me know I needed to update the software to prevent me from banging my head trying to figure it out and then having to submit yet another follow-up ticket.

As an electrical engineer who develops products similar to this for a living and someone who highly respected ETM, I have to admit I was disappointed with how they handled this entire process. This was honestly the most frustrating return process I've ever been through which unfortunately outweighed the fact that they replaced the pumps outside of the warranty.

Hopefully this helps you guys navigate through these issues you're having.
so, in the end, what was the actual issue? did they ever figure it out?

I tried cleaning the "sticky" part of the dry side with isopropyl alcohol so we'll see how long that helps

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tried cleaning the "sticky" part of the dry side with isopropyl alcohol so we'll see how long that helps

I think neverlost nailed it.

I suspect that there is a (split) second in a program combination that results in an unstable magnet behavior (like stopping the magnet for a split second or something) and that is causing the wet side and dryside to decouple.

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They never did explain the problem. They weren't very communicative throughout the entire process. I asked the very question that NoverlosT suggested above and they wouldn't answer it directly.

I'm fairly confident they didn't fully understand it since they went back and forth with me so many times trying to diagnose it. They literally had me ship the pumps to them three times. The first two times they returned the pumps to me as "fixed" but when I installed them they still exhibit the problem. It was the third time I sent them in that they actually replaced the dry side as I stated in my above post. Hence why the whole process took over 18 months.

By the way, I tried a lot of stuff to hold them on the glass so that they wouldn't damage my tank if they fell off, however, they would still pop off. It seemed that during the failure condition the magnets possibly would reverse polarize and actually push the dryside off the glass. I'm just guessing though. I just know I couldn't do anything to get them to stay on the glass when this happened.

Since this happened to both of my pumps in approximately the same time frame, there would appear to be something systemic that happens in the pumps over time. Out of curiosity, did this happen to anyone with new pumps?

Last edited:

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine Ecotech is aware of the possibility of drive induced decoupling. Another item to note is it might be worth stopping your pump when you clean the glass around it with a powerful magnet (like a flipper max or hammerhead), as it is likely to interfere with the magnetic fields at work operating the pump and may cause some non-ideal coupling configuration

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: my wet sides are still falling off the glass after both of them having been replaced. Does anyone else have this problem? I noticed that generally always happens either going into or coming out of feed mode.

Here's a picture of it as it landed on one of my corals. Fortunately, it hit a part of the coral that wasn't doing so well.

If you're wondering why there's a rubber band on it, it's because the guards on these pumps won't stay on and detach and float around the tank, putting fish at risk of getting sucked into propeller.
20200814_171134.jpg

Last edited:

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 MP40s and after 1.5 years one of the dry sides is starting to exhibit this issue. I ruled out the westside as an issue since I have swapped it with 3 and each one works fine on the other dry sides.

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 MP40s and after 1.5 years one of the dry sides is starting to exhibit this issue. I ruled out the westside as an issue since I have swapped it with 3 and each one works fine on the other dry sides.
Hi Tek,

After 2 years of battling this, here are some steps to try from my lessons learned:
  1. First, check the obvious things (you are using the correct spacer and the wetside is clean).
  2. Make sure your firmware is up to date. They released a new Software update a year or so ago that helps this issue. But doesn't fix it 100% of the time. Here is what I have which has that software update.
    • 1602351351040.png
  3. Check to see if this only happens when entering/exiting feed mode. That is when my issue happens. If so, go to ESL > Vortech > Settings > Feed Mode and let me know what setting you have it set at. We might be able to adjust it depending on what you have it set to. During my last troubleshooting session with Ecotec, they told me to change it from Barely to something faster to see if it helps. The jury is still out as I'm currently trying that.
  4. If all that fails, then I'd suggest contacting Echotec support for a possible RMA, and hopefully, they help you with a more speedy resolution than they have with me. I'm still troubleshooting mine after almost 2 years of issues. But I have made progress at least.
Best of luck. I'd be very curious about your answers to #3 above.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tek,

After 2 years of battling this, here are some steps to try from my lessons learned:
  1. First, check the obvious things (you are using the correct spacer and the wetside is clean).
  2. Make sure your firmware is up to date. They released a new Software update a year or so ago that helps this issue. But doesn't fix it 100% of the time. Here is what I have which has that software update.
    • 1602351351040.png
  3. Check to see if this only happens when entering/exiting feed mode. That is when my issue happens. If so, go to ESL > Vortech > Settings > Feed Mode and let me know what setting you have it set at. We might be able to adjust it depending on what you have it set to. During my last troubleshooting session with Ecotec, they told me to change it from Barely to something faster to see if it helps. The jury is still out as I'm currently trying that.
  4. If all that fails, then I'd suggest contacting Echotec support for a possible RMA, and hopefully, they help you with a more speedy resolution than they have with me. I'm still troubleshooting mine after almost 2 years of issues. But I have made progress at least.
Best of luck. I'd be very curious about your answers to #3 above.

Mine does it right when I plug it in. I have always used the correct spacers for my tank. I have since removed the problem dry side and will be testing it in a spare tank to see if it continues or if I can find a fix. I will also try the firmware update.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back