OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I installed the other qp-16 and im pretty happy with the flow in the tank. I still have to mess around with the flow direction to get a couple small clouds on the surface to skim off into the Overflow.
I did also get the skimmer hooked up in the sump and running.
As well as the issue I was having with the ATO was also fixed by rerouting the hose so the end wasn't underwater.
All right now the fun part
I added 30 astraea snails and 20 blue leg hermit crabs to keep some of the algeas in check, while going through the uglies. Its not bad yet but it is showing some signs and I'd rather stay in a detection mode rather than correction.
I also added a few green chromis
and I'll test in a few days and see about adding a couple anthias. Id really like to get all the fish in asap to break down the other tank. Juggling 3 tanks is to much for me. Hoping soon i can get back to a main system and a growout system.
Anyway heres a pic of the inside of the stand with everything except the ghl doser soon to be installed.
20180414_095233.jpg

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I have added the anthias and my clown. The only fish left are a rouol gramma, bi color blenie and the 3 tangs. Unfortunately i cant get to the blenie or gramma until i break down and take all the rock out. The 3 tangs were a go until the naso ended up having some white blotches on him like the skin slothed off the lateral line. Weird cause its white not red at all. Anyway hes being treated and at the end of treatment and healing ill introduce them all at once.
Screenshot_20180418-164637.png
not sure where this came from ive had him for about a month in a frag tank.
I did treat for flat worms before this arised but dont know if its just a coincidence.
Here's a FTS with the fish in
20180419_183701.jpg
I also added a piece of kelly green that was unintentional fragged to test the waters for coral, that was about a week ago.
20180419_183716.jpg
Ill need to get the ghl doser setup soon thats the next thing on deck.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the ghl 2.1 SA doser is a lot more complicated to setup than I thought. I have spent 3-4 hours researching, reading and fumbling aroud with the unit and I have gotten nowhere.
On another note added my 9 year old Royal Gramma to the tank. The only fish I have left to introduce is the trio of tangs ,sailfin, orange shoulder and naso. They will be moved over this week sometime.
I have also added a few acro frags since the first frag has been showing growth, it has melted on the rock at the base.
Heres a couple new additions
20180430_191137.jpg
20180430_174344.jpg
20180430_191211.jpg
I also just purchased a box from Adam at battle corals they should be here wednesday. Ill give an update when They come in.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battlebox came in on Friday after being in the mail 2 days instead of overnight. This was a first time purchase and mybe a little early but the pack he put up was hard to turn down.
Screenshot_20180428-213045.png
I'd have to say he is the best distributor I have ever purchased from. Even through fedex's health and weather issues. The corals all showed up in great condition and and he kept awesome communications through the whole deal. I will definitely be using him again.
Now all the fish are in , sailfin, orangeshoulder and a naso tang, 2 anthias, 3 chromis a clown and a royal gramma. Also put 2 skunk cleaner shrimp.
I also have the GHL 2.1 SA doser setup and will see where things go from here. Ill take a pic in a bit

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with the pack from Adam I also added a Pc rainbow and MadHatter millie.
But back to the reason for the the post...
I topk a screen shot of the GHL control app and a pic of the doser
20180506_213915.jpg
Screenshot_20180506-213723.png
right now Im just running calcium to bring the level up.

Kar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, sump looks nice. Did you custom made it ?

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, sump looks nice. Did you custom made it ?
Thanks Kar, yes I designed and built the sump myself. If you look back on page 2 you can see few pics of the process from the prder of flat stock through water testing. I have added a couple lids, 1 over the sock compertment and 1 on the ato reservoir. The 1 on the ato is welded to remove a bow from the pressure of the water. All an all it works well for a first attempt at acrylic. Also less than half the price and exactly what i wanted.
1525703165936434492291.jpg

Theres also a rough draft on page 1

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks like the first traces of coraline have showed up. I have a pink dot right up front. It wont be long before its a nuisance. Funny how we look for it and then its overgrown and ends up being just more work.
I also thought its a good time to update the full tank shot. Doesn't look like much but its coming around. All the fish front and center.
20180509_111144.jpg

Kar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kar, yes I designed and built the sump myself. If you look back on page 2 you can see few pics of the process from the prder of flat stock through water testing. I have added a couple lids, 1 over the sock compertment and 1 on the ato reservoir. The 1 on the ato is welded to remove a bow from the pressure of the water. All an all it works well for a first attempt at acrylic. Also less than half the price and exactly what i wanted.
1525703165936434492291.jpg

Theres also a rough draft on page 1

Very nice, DIY is the way to go, much fun in doing things :)

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Id update a couple of the challenges that have come up.
It seems like somehow I introduced aptasia. I dont know how this happened but my fix was to remove the rock from the tank and cut off the section it was attached to completely. We will see how things work out.
I also have a few marks on my Naso tang that im keeping an eye now a few days. 1 mark on the shoulder, 1 on the cheek you can see in the picture the other is on the belly on the other side.
20180514_173430.jpg
20180514_173433.jpg
I have started feeding nori in fresh copped garlic and oil prior to feeding. Hoping this boosts his immune system.
The good side is all the frags have been doing well and starting to see signs of growth. Also hoping soon to unload some of the corals in the frag tank

1526580211120313026533.jpg

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15271781786521463788838.jpg
Rainbow and Raptor
1527178255472791770937.jpg
bejeweled

Heres a quick update, Naso hasnt gotten worse and none of the other fish have been affected. So all and all im hoping to see his immune system strengthen and recover.
I have been adding a couple frags and a couple small colonies.
I have a couple small island rocks down front that have montis on them now. Also 2 favias.
The list...
Seasons greetings monti
Melonberry monti
Orange cap
Rainbow monti small colony
Bejewled favia small colony
And cornbreds raptor favia
Most frags are really small because i think they grow more natually when they start smaller.
Also add a couple acros
Green slimer
Ora tri color validia
RA Aussie inferno
Paletta tri color
Also just recieved RA bubble gum millie and RA pink passion now in frag tank
The bad .... i did have a loss my freebie from battlecorals rtn d not sure why but it did. I guess thise are the chances you take in new systems.
Not sure why the pics ended up at the top they should have been here.
Thanks for reading
Ryan

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have pulled all acros of the rocks and glued them to new frag plugs. I identified red bugs on a couple frags that just didnt look right. What a bummer a couple of the battle corals were just starting to take off. Somehow I missed them in the HP/ frag tank and intruduced them to the main. Now I will have to move all acros over to the frag tank and dose that system with interceptor. Im going to leave the main system without acros for 90 days in hopes that will let them die without hosts.
1 step foward 3 steps back
20180528_112253.jpg
20180528_123511.jpg

I also just purchased a pink caddy and and orange passion so they will go in the frag tank also for treatment before going to the main

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went thru an outbreak of Redbugs last year, I dosed my tank with this.

http://www.drgsmarineaquaculture.com/sps-lps-coral-dip-solution.cfm

The only thing I lost was a cleaner shrimp and some of my pods but within 24 hours they were gone and I have never seen them again.

Here is my thread on it.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dr-gs-red-bugs.301262/

Good Luck
Ill take a look, thanks for the links. But Im not going to nuke this tank. I had an established 10year old system that crashed slowly over a period of 6 months, 8 or so months after i dosed interceptor for black bugs. I dont want to add anything toxic to this system. Thank you though.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the life cycle of red bugs is there a free swim stage? How long can they live without hosts? Eggs? Etc...

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went thru an outbreak of Redbugs last year, I dosed my tank with this.

http://www.drgsmarineaquaculture.com/sps-lps-coral-dip-solution.cfm

The only thing I lost was a cleaner shrimp and some of my pods but within 24 hours they were gone and I have never seen them again.

Here is my thread on it.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dr-gs-red-bugs.301262/

Good Luck
I guess i kinda jumped the gun on not wanting to dose the main. Thanks for the links i just read through them. Looks like it has worked for a few different situations. Thanks for sending I will definitely keep this in mind

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i kinda jumped the gun on not wanting to dose the main. Thanks for the links i just read through them. Looks like it has worked for a few different situations. Thanks for sending I will definitely keep this in mind

Hey no worries man I get it I was skeptical myself but I have been very happy with the results.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back