OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this older research and thought I would link it here. In it they say there is a free swim stage and that they can not live longer than 3-5days without a host.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-23461.html
As I find more info I will load the links as well.
Fwiw I completed a total transfer of all acros to the frag system and dipped every acro in a bayer solution then a rinse and also a final rinse prior to going in the frag system. It was suprising how many critters came off just in the first and final rinse let alone the dip.
20180529_165019.jpg
I had lots of pileslike this of floating copepods at the end on top of the ones that didnt float. Astrea tars, brittle stars, different types of flat worms(green, red , red/yellow) . We will have to see how this turns out.
Atleast there all in the frag system and not in the main.
Hetes a pic of one batch getting a final rinse.
20180529_155919.jpg

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dip went well I dont have any red bugs at this time. Now my problem is really high no3 >65 in my frag system. Sence the dip In the past the system has always stayed steady at 8-10. Could this be things dying in the frag plugs?
Plan is to mix up a 75percent w/c, pull out 20percent into the mixing container circulate that and then transfer it back to the tank. The idea is to dilute the no3 in the system. Then ill wait a bit and repeat. Hoping to remove a good majority of the no3 over a time period instead of in 1 bulk removal.
Let me know what you think, will this work

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem to be pest free at the time.
Everything looks to be recovering.

I did pickup a couple new frags to add to the collection.
20180607_123418.jpg

Pink lemonade
20180607_124043.jpg
Pink caddy
20180607_124142.jpg
Sc orange passion

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that all the corals are pest free and have been returned to the display, I'm starting to see some growth. Funny how little traces of growth at this stage get us so excited. Heres a list of the sps that are currenly in the display with pictures. Don't shoot me there pretty washed out from the blue lights and there cell phone pics.
20180621_101657.jpg
Pc rainbow melting off at base.
20180621_101729.jpg
Poletta pink tip melting off at base.
20180621_101744.jpg
New purchase, supposed to be a Pink floyd but I have yet to see any polyps.
20180621_101759.jpg
Arc fireworks another new purchase, I dont think any camra actually can pesent this coral accurate. Colors are amazing
20180621_101812.jpg
green slimer
20180621_101824.jpg
reef ready grape juice, getting a base
20180621_101833.jpg
Pink Caddy also new, but showing growth on base. This guy settled in quick.
20180621_101841.jpg
BC Mad hatter millie. I purchased this blind, refered by Adam and I couldn't be more pleased. This guy has a everything blue green yellow and orange. It also settled quick with a nice base started
20180621_101855.jpg
BC Miss Scarlett was hammered by all the dips and transitions from tank to tank. Polys just starting to show back up and the hints of red coming back out.
20180621_101905.jpg
Ora Bellina, I have a couple small colonies in the other system I wanted all the newer stuff to have a chance to grow in so I cut this frag off the corner to put in the display.
20180621_101914.jpg
Pink Lemonade, this is actually a frag of a frag. It broke in half during the dip. New also
20180621_101925.jpg
Sc orange passion another newby, colors are amazing
20180621_101934.jpg
BC Dales purple unknown, fast grower it was also hit hard during the dipping process but recovered well.
20180621_101944.jpg
Spainbow another new one that has taken off well. It surprised me as it has started to show some really cool color and its melting off at the base.
I also have some really tiny monti frags I have fixed on island rocks there not much to look at now maybe only a quater of an inch. But they grow fast and i think look more natual when started from smaller pieces.
These are the montis
Orange cap
Seasons greetings
Ora Melonberry
Rainbow
Not sure if i said before but there are a couple favias as well.
Bejewled
Cornbred Raptor
Oh and the Ora kelley green
I think thats a pretty good update for now.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Adam at Battlecorals having a 25% off sale and free shipping I purchased another battle box this time Im going blind other than 2 requests. The Fuego and the Bellicose Trobairitz are my only request. After that I also said I like tables and tight clustering growths and I would rather quality than quantity. We shall see what I get I have to be honest Im a little nervous sending a substantial amout of money to some and letting them pick what I get. But he's got great reveiws for his battleboxes so Ill try anything once. If it works out Ill let him keep picking for me. I kind of feel like it could be a more natural look to a tank as it grows out because each piece wasn't selected to be next to the other. Like in the wild they just endup where they endup.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday after months of not liking the way the refugium tank ended up. I tore it out and plumbed in an old eshopps sump/refugium. Because the walls of the existing sump and the newly installed tank were really close to each other(1.5 " apart). I used uniseals to make the plumbing conection. Now that I have this tank plumbed in Im able to increase flow and it make the inside of the tank and the plumbing more accessible. It also should decrease the amount of decomposing vegetation transfering to the main sump that has increased skimmer activity and i have alot of detritus buildup as well. Next weekend ill clean the sump out. I should see a change than.
20180625_214057.jpg
20180625_214119.jpg
So there are a couple picks of the upgrade.
I also added a couple acans to an island for some contrast and color down low in the rock work.
20180627_114259.jpg

20180625_214206.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work on the drilling of the holes. I like Eshopps Gen2 refugiums; I think their latest design was a big step back compared to what you have.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work on the drilling of the holes. I like Eshopps Gen2 refugiums; I think their latest design was a big step back compared to what you have.
Thanks Madweazl for the compliment.
Its pretty easy to drill acrylic. I did purchase a new hole saw to make sure i had a clean hole. I also hit them with sandpaper before inserting the uniseals.
I just realized the reference was to the glass for the overflow not for the sump. glass was easy to cut also

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been playing with a filter for my phone, to take more accurate pictures. This is the best one I found so far. Heres a pic of the bejewled favia that turned out really close to true. As the colors start to stabilize in color I will add them as well.
IMG_20180704_143240_37.jpg

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got finished readying all nine pages. I really like your tank, not to mention the really nice wood work.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got finished readying all nine pages. I really like your tank, not to mention the really nice wood work.
Thanks for reading mattgsa, and the compliment. I have spent alot of time try to get everything up to speed. Everything is growing and the uglies are starting to break down and clean up. The system as a whole is really starting to stabilize. I cant wait for all the corals to start filling in. I also just added another battle box from Adam. Ill have to upload some pics when they settle in.
Heres the list of newbies from Adam:
Hellboy
Superman Table
Nilbog Resident
Houdini
Lemon Hammer
Greg C Efflo
The Bends
Sour Apple
Pearly Cadiver
Spainbow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been crazy lately I have not had time to take picks this weekend. I haven't even seen the tank with daytime lights on. I did notice that my BC Mad Hatter millie and BC Magic wand tenius have been knocked off the rocks and are nowhere to be found. Its a sad day..

brian adkison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice sps corals. Can you post pics of your whole tank? I love getting ideas from you guys with the big tanks.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice sps corals. Can you post pics of your whole tank? I love getting ideas from you guys with the big tanks.
Thanks for asking, there is some complete picks from different angles on page 7. I did make some upgrades aftet that are also documented. If theres simething specific your looking for let me know. As for corals all the frags are pretty small still and just dropping bases so not really worth the pictures. As I see growth I will upload pics.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be growing well. Although, I did show some tin in the icp test I did renently. Nutrients have begun to climb no3 is at about 12 and po4 is at 0.3 a little higher than I like so I have started to wet skim hoping to bring that number down. I believe the nurients high could be causing a few corals to green on me. All else seems stable for the time being.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would seem I fell off the face of the earth with this thread... well kind of. I had a pretty bad bout with aiptasia and my pride would not give in to the " learn aiptasia management "philosophy.
I ended up breaking down the system, cleaning and dring it out. Then I put it all back together and ran it with RODI water for about a week before adding salt. Thats currently how it sits.
All the fish and rock were moved to a 150 gal rubbermaid tub in the extra room. I will be removing the rock from the tub in the near future to clean it up and start back up. Im just tring to figure out a game plan. Do I want to dry it ? acid and bleach ? or both or just one ? Not sure yet. Im still in the research mode for the right action to take. Any advice would be welcomed.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s odd I mean it doesn’t cure it over night but in a month mine were gone urs are pretty big u might have to get the adults

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back