My 240 Cube

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Serious high quality build with a lot of thought for sure.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using two 300 watt stealth heaters. This is the first time I am using this brand and am quite impressed with them out of the box. Hopefully they will perform well long term.
I've used Marineland Stealth heaters for years now, and they're by far my first choice (Ebo-Jager behind them). Reliable, long lasting, unbreakable (glass wise), plus they have a lifetime warranty. Keep the receit for them, send it in with the receipt if something happens and they send you out a brand new one free no questions asked. Only had an issue with one out of over 20 purchased between my tanks and tanks I've set up.

Of course, with any heater I suggest using an external back-up means of control, just in case, such as a Ranco controller or a RKL/RKE, Apex, etc., etc.

OP
OP
G

goat585

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Marineland Stealth heaters for years now, and they're by far my first choice (Ebo-Jager behind them). Reliable, long lasting, unbreakable (glass wise), plus they have a lifetime warranty. Keep the receit for them, send it in with the receipt if something happens and they send you out a brand new one free no questions asked. Only had an issue with one out of over 20 purchased between my tanks and tanks I've set up.

Of course, with any heater I suggest using an external back-up means of control, just in case, such as a Ranco controller or a RKL/RKE, Apex, etc., etc.

Thanks for the info. I have been using Ebo's for years with great success but newer ones I have started to have some problems with. I also managed to crack a couple of them. The stealths look like they can take a beating. I also like the way the indicator lights work. It is very easy to see if the heater is on or off.

I have a Ranco controller now but after Christmas I plan on buying either an apex or RKE. Not sure which one yet but I am leaning toward the Apex.

OP
OP
G

goat585

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll likely be following suit with a single 400W L.B. pendant over a 48" x 36" footprint Tom. Was just chatting with Jeremy at Reef Specialty about it... sounds like a winner!

BTW, love the aquascape :D

Sounds like a good plan. That's what I would start with.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain to me how the surge works. I have been interested in it ever since I saw the video's on Vivid Aquariums site.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet tank man!

OP
OP
G

goat585

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain to me how the surge works. I have been interested in it ever since I saw the video's on Vivid Aquariums site.

Sure,

Water is pumped into the surge container. In my case it is a tank but you can use a bucket, or any other aquarium safe container. As the water level in the container rises it pulls a float ball that is connected to a toilet flush valve up. Once the float ball rises high enough it will pull the toliet flush valve open. The water will then go down the flush valve into the tank causing a surge of rushing water. Once the water empties the container, the flush valve closes allowing the cycle to repeat.

It basically act like a toilet, but instead of you pulling a lever to flush it the float ball pulls it up automatically.

I hope this helps. I will eventually have a couple of videos on my website on how it works but I have not finished them up yet.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have two surge set ups, what will the cycle be or should I say, how often will they flush? Can't wait to see a video of this working. Also, why have these in a tank, isn't a few circulation pumps good enough? Just trying to learn something here, also I like your tank.

OP
OP
G

goat585

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have two surge set ups, what will the cycle be or should I say, how often will they flush? Can't wait to see a video of this working. Also, why have these in a tank, isn't a few circulation pumps good enough? Just trying to learn something here, also I like your tank.

The one surge fires every minute or so and the other one is about 2.5 minutes. When they fire the surge last 45 seconds.

A few circulation pumps will work but the current will not be as random unless you use controllable pumps or some sort of wave maker. The nice thing about this surge it cost me about $60 to make and $50 for the pump. The cost is much lower than controllable power heads and I get similar results. On a smaller tank you can make a surge out of a 5 gallon bucket and feed it with a maxijet and it will work very nicely.

There are some downfalls to surges as they like to bubble at first and you need a place to have the surge above the tank.

I will probably need a power head or 2 in the tank because of the large footprint of the tank. I have a stagnant spot along the back panel that I am going to need to use a power head to move the water.

I hope this helps

OP
OP
G

goat585

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As requested I have put up a couple of videos of the surges in action on my personal website. Here is a link to videos.

Surge DIY Intro

This weekend I started to transfer some corals to the new tank. The corals are adjusting pretty well to the new lighting and tank. I hope to have more stuff transferred and some pictures later in the week.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found your thread Tom ... the new tank is looking awesome! Ready to add a frag tank yet? ;)

I

inactive

View Badges
My day was going fine until I clicked this thread. Now I'm going to throw my reef tank away. thanks!!! :p :p

Very awesome build.

OP
OP
G

goat585

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found your thread Tom ... the new tank is looking awesome! Ready to add a frag tank yet? ;)

Thanks,

I was hoping to fit a good size one it but I am not sure if I can fit it. Once I get everything transfered then I am going to start working on it.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

I was hoping to fit a good size one it but I am not sure if I can fit it. Once I get everything transfered then I am going to start working on it.

Try and make room for a footprint of 4'x2' ... I'm hoping to take it down around Christmas/New Years.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back