My babies! (H. Erectus Seahorses)!

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe :) Just wanted to share with everyone what I've been up to recently.

Enjoy!!

DSC_9403.jpg

DSC_9404.jpg

DSC_9405.jpg

DSC_9437.jpg

DSC_9417.jpg

DSC_9416.jpg

DSC_9412.jpg

Now the parents!
DSC_9407.jpg

DSC_9410.jpg

DSC_9396.jpg

DSC_9395.jpg

And a video!
YouTube - BrooksReef's Channel

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me want to try,hahaha.. That is soo cool! Goodwork!

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!I love seahorses!They are so very peaceful and collected,haha

I loved my dwarfs,total a cool project you are working on here,let us know how it goes!

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thats so cool. Are they easy to raise to adulthood?

Thanks, FishLipz! They are an easier species to raise, however, they are still quite difficult.

Sweet!I love seahorses!They are so very peaceful and collected,haha

I loved my dwarfs,total a cool project you are working on here,let us know how it goes!

Thank you, clowns101! I am taking it one day at a time -- now I have my other male pregnant again. So in another 14-ish days, I should have MORE babies! :xd:

This makes me want to try,hahaha.. That is soo cool! Goodwork!

Thanks KLR! :) It sure is fun! But SO much work!!

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That it totaly awesome!Sea Horses are very fun to raise,Ive only raised Dwarfs,thats it,Ive never owned any other species,I do know about rasing them all though!

Are you bringing these guys up on only brine shrimp,a.k.a BBS?

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it similar to raising clowns? Greenwater, rotifers, baby brine, etc... I'm really interested. I've never considered trying this. I have an unused 120 that's begging for something new.

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That it totaly awesome!Sea Horses are very fun to raise,Ive only raised Dwarfs,thats it,Ive never owned any other species,I do know about rasing them all though!

Are you bringing these guys up on only brine shrimp,a.k.a BBS?

They are just so cool! I am raising them on enriched BBS, and newly hatched BBS.

Is it similar to raising clowns? Greenwater, rotifers, baby brine, etc... I'm really interested. I've never considered trying this. I have an unused 120 that's begging for something new.

I cannot make a comparison, as I know nothing about raising clowns. Some people DO use the greenwater method with Seahorses, though. Many people also use rotifers for newborns, but I feed newly hatched BBS and enriched BBS.

A 120 would provide a HUGE amount of space, especially for these little guys! Perhaps a nice 29g-40g for the babies, and the 120 for a bunch of the parents? :D

Those are cool looking! Good luck with the babies.

Thank you so much! I am on day 3 with NO losses, and I am hoping to keep that streak going!

mizzoumed02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. That looks like a lot of fun.. I'm with everyone else, just how easy are they to raise?

Also, whats the main tank setup that you have the parents in?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thats awesome. My g/f has bugged me for years that she wants seahorses, but sadly I still have to deny her. haha. Congrats on the babies, they are adorable.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! I loved the yellow seahorses I had. I think they were H. Kuda? I would love to get some more seahorses. Please post more about your setup and how you get them to breed! More pics!!!!

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just awesome. How long have you had them for? Is your system dedicated to them?

Thanks ReefDreams. I have actually only had these for less than a month (the parents, that is). I do have a dedicated system, yes. My current set up is a 25g tank, with a HOB filter (soon to have a HOB skimmer as well), with a Panorama LED system. It is extremely simplistic, and it does it's job magnificently.

Really cool photos and video. What kind of survival rates have you had in the past?

Thank you blaten! These are my first two broods. For my first brood, it was quite a bit smaller than the second that came a week later. In that brood, I lost more than I had hope -- around 50% so far. In my second brood, I've yet to lose one.

The second brood came from a much stronger and older male, though. The first brood was from Clyde, who is just not turning 1 I believe. Bart, the older male, is older. I forget how old, though!

That's awesome! I loved the yellow seahorses I had. I think they were H. Kuda? I would love to get some more seahorses. Please post more about your setup and how you get them to breed! More pics!!!!

Well, as far as my set up goes, it is EXTREMELY simplistic (mentioned it in one of the above quotes). I am using an Aqueon 30 filter, no heater, and a Panorama LED fixture. One again, it is very simplistic. This is simply due to the fact that these animals require a calmer environment, and the space I had to put a bunch of fancy stuff in was very limited. The power filter on the back does it's job marvelously, and I've yet to encounter any issues.

For the fry tank, I am using a 29g tank with a divider in the middle. For filtration, I use an Emperor 350 Power Filter. This is MUCH heavier than suggested, but due to the heavy heavy heavy bio-load, it is really keeping ammonia and nitrites/nitrates down. I feel as though I went with the right choice there.

As far as breeding them goes, they do it constantly on their own. Bart is already pregnant again!

Nice, I miss my sea horses...:(

Wow, thats awesome. My g/f has bugged me for years that she wants seahorses, but sadly I still have to deny her. haha. Congrats on the babies, they are adorable.

They sure are fun! :) Thanks for the congratulations! :))

Nice. That looks like a lot of fun.. I'm with everyone else, just how easy are they to raise?

Also, whats the main tank setup that you have the parents in?

It is so much fun! It is HARD work, but it really is a fun experience. They are not too easy to raise, however, H. Erectus fry are a hardier species and easier to raise than others. That being said, this is just my first time attempting to raise them. So far, I feel as though my efforts and hard work have been paying off. I am going on day 4 (today) with no losses. Hopefully my streak continues.

mizzoumed02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Keep us up to date with how things are going. It's going to be cool to follow this one and see how they all turn out!

Mantis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend wants a seahorse tank, but I am scared that they won't make it...I would rather stay away, then sacrifice them ....

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty, keeping the fully grown Seahorses isn't the hard part. If you buy captive bred (CB) from places like Seahorsesource, they can live for a LONG time. You just have to feed them frozen mysis twice daily and keep their water in good condition.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back