OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Managed to get a couple pictures to load.
Shows some new additions and growth.

Also for the first time in many, many years I'm getting some cyno.
I figure it's from feeding heavier than usual. I added some anthias a couple months ago, so will deal with that with gfo and some carbon.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Those Grandis Palys are huge!! And of course I'm loving the Duncan :) Big big Duncan fan I am-lol. You got fish in there? I don't see any!

I do have fish. There are 3 hippo tangs, a purple tang, a leopard wrasse, 2 lyretail anthias, a coral beauty angel, and 2 gsm clowns.

To take pictures during the day, I have to close the drapes on the sliding glass door ( which is right next to the tank) and then hang a dark blanket over the curtains to block out the light from outside or I get reflections on the front glass pane, which shows up in the pictures.
When I did that it must have changed the environment for the fish enough to scare them enough to hide until I removed the curtains and let the light back in. Even then it took 10-15 minutes before they started coming back out. I couldn't even get them to come out of hiding for food in the tank.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need an update as well Marty, or will have to make it down your way for a visit. Maybe hi-jack Mike so I can use the Carpool lane.

Paul, is the Xenia like these in pic below ??? Would love one as well as have been looking for quite some time. I traded/sold 100's of them years ago and was always a favorite because of its non aggressive or controllable nature. Plus was my most accurate PH probe ever.

Feb Download 013.jpg

Cheers, Todd

fragman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, for the most part it stays single stalked. No "budding off" of more Xenia. I'm not saying that you won't ever get a baby growing out of a fragment but if you are careful or strategic no you won't have an out of control weed. I propogate them by cutting them and sell them to the LFS. I got this species originally from GARF over 10 years ago. I grew one specimen up in my friends 500 gal tank where it was the size of a "honey dew" mellow with a stalk as big around as my wrist. I don't know how much bigger they get??? I heard that once they get really big they "throw off" babies?????? Not sure. What I do know is that as long as you don't put them adjacent to something taller than they are, you are safe. If they are placed too close to a rock or wall of your Aquarium they will reach over attach and climb up to the highest point. (they like strong light) If they leave tissue behind, then you get babies. If you keep them at the highest point of "their" local rockwork then all they do is get bigger :)

I'll see about a Picture.

Paul

Paul, does it stay as a single stalk? lol

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here are a few pictures I took last week.
I'm really having a hard time doing pictures lately.
Trying to use Nikon image software that doesn't like Windows 7.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking Awesome Marty, and just goes to show you that you do not need 'Sticks' to have a beautiful Reeftank. Let me know the next time your up this way, have a couple things that may interest you and fit right in.

Cheers, Todd

tat2z_21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love the set up. Great planning and execution. After seeing your pictures I feel dirty now and have to go and scrape my tank.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looking Awesome Marty, and just goes to show you that you do not need 'Sticks' to have a beautiful Reeftank. Let me know the next time your up this way, have a couple things that may interest you and fit right in.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks Todd.
I really do have to make the effort to get back up that way in the near future.

Was at Mikes not too long ago, but that was just a quick stop and back on the road before the Seattle traffic had me trapped.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think I've ever seen pictures of your newest tank Marty. Looks awesome!! I finally took a few shots of mine and feel your pain with less than friendly computers. My lap top is so old pictures look horrible on it so I cant tell if what I'm posting actually looks good or bad.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back