My tang is covered in white spots. Ich braking out in my dt?

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I noticed yesterday my purple tang was covered in little white flecks, today it is much worse. I have noticed him covered more heavily. The blue tang has it slightly. I have 9 fish in the 240L DT which is where it's broken out. I added 6 of these fish from another person and upgraded lighting only a week n half ago. They had nothing on them then. Can anyone suggest my best way of tackling this problem?

20230730_074046.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pictures under white light are pretty essential - as is more information (how old, other tank mates, QT or not, parameters, etc etc).

PS - it looks like Ich - you would need to treat all fish - with copper/using a copr test, and also not put them back into the tank for 45-76 days depending on the protocol you decide to use.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many fish? List ….
How much rock and/or coral …
Asking because a 240 is a lot to ask for setting up a alternate med tank
OP said 240L which is only 60G.

which has its own problems holding a tang but it should be easy to set up a med tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it is impossible to tell what it is from your history and pictures - though it sounds like ich. You will need a hospital tank. unless you can follow a hypo salinity protocol(i.e. no coral etc)

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi. I noticed yesterday my purple tang was covered in little white flecks, today it is much worse. I have noticed him covered more heavily. The blue tang has it slightly. I have 9 fish in the 240L DT which is where it's broken out. I added 6 of these fish from another person and upgraded lighting only a week n half ago. They had nothing on them then. Can anyone suggest my best way of tackling this problem?

20230730_074046.jpg
Yikes- this is cryptocaryon which is marine ich and mucus cones from irritation. How long has this been on the fish as this does not happen overnight and has been developing. Tank is likely infected as MnFish stated will have to be fishless and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes- this is cryptocaryon which is marine ich and mucus cones from irritation. How long has this been on the fish as this does not happen overnight and has been developing. Tank is likely infected as MnFish stated will have to be fishless and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
I've just realised where it came from. I added 3 new corals sent from an aquarium this past Wednesday. It's only Sunday, can it spread that quickly?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've just realised where it came from. I added 3 new corals sent from an aquarium this past Wednesday. It's only Sunday, can it spread that quickly?
While coral can come in with parasites and other foreign issues, its a slight maybe. Velvet on fish is often caused by a dinoflagellate parasite known as Amyloodinium ocellatum and often triggered by poor or no acclimation which will certainly place any fish at risk of bacterial, parasitical and viral issues. It takes several days for this and other conditions to be noticed/seen and has already progressed.
Velvet has a life cycle similar to that of ich protozoan as they go through various life stages which some become resistant to treatments

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I don't understand. It would be extremely unlikely that disease this severe would show up within a couple days.

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was showing no signs of anything 2 days ago
He had white flakes yesterday then this morning white spots. He's otherwise perfectly healthy, eating, swimming etc. I've noticed today the itching he's rubbing around. It seemed to appear overnight. My skimmer had also shut down when I 1st noticed a drastic water change yesterday. I emailed the aquarium & they suggested I buy a QT but Everybody told me it wasn't necessary with corals. I have a QT..

Last edited:
OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm thanks. I've decided to treat the entire DT 1st with Polyp Lab Medic over 20 days. Hopefully I've caught it fast enough

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what I'm going to do is give him a fresh water bath!! to save time but you need a 100% effective treatment like copper

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 117 43.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 130 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.9%

Back